U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,519,729 times

Advertisements

That was TARASTOMSGIRL. I knew her. She went to the WORST place she could have went to... Keene, NH. A town of nothingness. Plus she was born here in Florida. She never should have gone to Keene. There is nothing there. It's like going to Bithlo, FL. or Okeechobee, FL. It was not a good choice. Connecticut would have been better for her. Or Eastern Mass.

Yes I too was up there, then came back. I pulled a John Kerry(flip flop). But I came back here to try a new career, well that has changed, so I will pick up where I left off in MA. Where I need to be.

Keep looking into old posts, you will see where I went to Massachusetts last year too, then came back here. Mine was not about weather only. My family opened a new restaurant down here(which was sold last week thanks to the awesome economy here). I took a chance at a new type of career here. I was not used to cold I admit. But I loved the snow. So did Tara, but where she went it was too much for her at once. She was a HUGE malcontent on the Florida boards, tore this place(FL) to shreads, then went to a malcontent in the NH boards. Then... Was booted off City for going a little too far with the insults. I talked to her all the time, then one day POOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I was responding to the OP, who says he/she wants to move back--the grass was not greener.

Also, I was searching the archives there was someone on here who moved to New Hampshire from Fla. -- she kept saying she wanted cold weather. Well, she moved and tried and it and couldn't stand the cold. So she moved back to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 AM

1,505 posts, read 2,809,557 times
She said on here she didn't like the weather there (it's horrible there), that's why she came back. It had nothing to do with boredom from what I know.
I do hope it works out for you in MA and we don't see a year from now on the forum that you are looking to move back to Fla. Moderator cut: comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
That was TARASTOMSGIRL. I knew her. She went to the WORST place she could have went to... Keene, NH. A town of nothingness. Plus she was born here in Florida. She never should have gone to Keene. There is nothing there. It's like going to Bithlo, FL. or Okeechobee, FL. It was not a good choice. Connecticut would have been better for her. Or Eastern Mass.

Yes I too was up there, then came back. I pulled a John Kerry(flip flop). But I came back here to try a new career, well that has changed, so I will pick up where I left off in MA. Where I need to be.

Keep looking into old posts, you will see where I went to Massachusetts last year too, then came back here. Mine was not about weather only. My family opened a new restaurant down here(which was sold last week thanks to the awesome economy here). I took a chance at a new type of career here. I was not used to cold I admit. But I loved the snow. So did Tara, but where she went it was too much for her at once. She was a HUGE malcontent on the Florida boards, tore this place(FL) to shreads, then went to a malcontent in the NH boards. Then... Was booted off City for going a little too far with the insults. I talked to her all the time, then one day POOF!!!

Last edited by Keeper; 09-23-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: enough.. you are off topic

Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,713,830 times
Well, your problem is going to be reconciling three statements:

(A) "I'm officially through with all of that and ready to live someplace quieter, more affordable and simpler",

(B) "A few caveats are that I am looking for a somewhat liberal town and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business and would be obviously wanting to be in a place where people care about organic/local food and the benefits of buying it. ", and

(C) "Consequently anything in "metro" South Florida, Ft Myers/Naples, Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater probably won't work for me."

Those three statements do not really go well together, and I can't think of anywhere in Florida that's going to fit all three and also be a good place to open your business. To have a successful business, you need a lot of customers, and you're not going to get that with such a specialized business in a smaller Florida town.

A couple ideas: One, some of the "metro" Florida areas are maybe not as expensive real estate-wise as you're thinking. However, they'll conflict a bit with (A).

Two, there are other parts of the country that will fit much better with all of your needs, BUT, I'm not sure how easy it is to find more affordable housing in them--I haven't done real estate searches in those areas for awhile. One is New England above Massachusetts--Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine, not too far from one of the cities (which are nowhere near as developed/congested as Florida). That's a beautiful area (and it would nicely follow what seems to be your gradual northern trek along the East Coast, lol), with a LOT of liberals and a LOT of people who would be into health food. If you want someplace similar that doesn't get so cold in the winter, how about western Oregon? Portland might be too big for your tastes, but there are many other decent-sized cities following the valleys southward via I-5, all the way into northern California. That's another beautiful part of the country, and there are a LOT of liberals there and health food fans there, too. You might also want to check out a city like Boise, Idaho, which has a surprising number of liberals, including lots of western-Oregon and northern California transplants.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 PM

You live out of a VAN!!! And I live like a candle in the wind!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! So funny...... I won't be back.

Read more into Taras posts, it was not all about weather, I knew here, talked to her personally, man... You have all the answers don't you?

Quote:
She said on here she didn't like the weather there (it's horrible there), that's why she came back. It had nothing to do with boredom from what I know.
I do hope it works out for you in MA and we don't see a year from now on the forum that you are looking to move back to Fla. But it seems to me that you live your life like a candle in the wind.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,419,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

A few caveats are that I am looking for a somewhat liberal town and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business and would be obviously wanting to be in a place where people care about organic/local food and the benefits of buying it. WalMart-centric towns are immediately disqualified.

Consequently anything in "metro" South Florida, Ft Myers/Naples, Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater probably won't work for me. I have some ideas but don't want to sway the responses. Thanks.
I would cross out Fort Myers without a second thought, though if you could afford the start up costs & rental of the space, Sanibel would be a a decent place to run a small organic shop. Fort Myers is the epitome of the WalMart mentality.

Punta Gorda to the north of Fort Myers might also be a wise place to look. Cheap housing & lots of available business space. There is some retirement $$ there, so the clientele may be there to spend the extra $$ on organic or even care, for that matter!

Not sure about college towns b/c of dispensable income of college students. I know I didn't have that sort of cash when I was in college nor was organic food really a concern when I was 19 & away from home

This is the first summer I've really gotten into locally grown food. Lots of farmers markets in our area & this summer's corn was to die for & was going to .$10/ear! I've also become hooked on fresh green beans. We live in a picking mecca of raspberries & strawberries & since I've been little, never been able to eat the frozen stuff !

Good luck. Sounds like a great idea.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,713,830 times
Quote:
Never heard of her until this post of yours. I checked out some of her posting history--it was interesting. It sounded to me (mostly reading between the lines) like maybe her husband wanted to head to NH (and a couple posts mentioned something about his family living in Maine, so that, and the job opportunity, sounded like contributing factors), so she kinda talked herself into going along with it, then she got there and shortly after experienced a big snow storm with attendant problems--frozen pipes, effectively snowed in, etc.--and within a couple days put her foot down and said she was moving back to Florida, period. I agree that it sounds like she should have never tried it . . . but it was interesting reading her changes in tone as that first big snow storm started to hit--talking about how great the snow was at first, then sounding a bit worried, then "disaster" with the realization of frozen pipe and 2-3 feet of snow. You could also tell that she never really wanted to move away from her family . . . her husband was getting my sympathy as I read more and more, lol.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM

A hurricane every few years (and maybe not even) is really so much more dealable than those kind of chronic snow related problems that are guaranteed ever year no matter what. They can really hit your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
then she got there and shortly after experienced a big snow storm with attendant problems--frozen pipes, effectively snowed in, etc.--and within a couple days put her foot down and said she was moving back to Florida, period.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM

She definitely made a bad decision. Especially having never lived anywhere like that before. I used to get emails all the time from here about how she loved it there. Then it wore her down. Trust me the decision was a lot hers too. She really did like it there until winter hit her. She bashed the heck out of FL too while she was there. Then ate those words.

She did from what it sounds like rent a dump up there too. And Keene? I don't know why she went there? There is nothing there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Never heard of her until this post of yours. I checked out some of her posting history--it was interesting. It sounded to me (mostly reading between the lines) like maybe her husband wanted to head to NH (and a couple posts mentioned something about his family living in Maine, so that, and the job opportunity, sounded like contributing factors), so she kinda talked herself into going along with it, then she got there and shortly after experienced a big snow storm with attendant problems--frozen pipes, effectively snowed in, etc.--and within a couple days put her foot down and said she was moving back to Florida, period. I agree that it sounds like she should have never tried it . . . but it was interesting reading her changes in tone as that first big snow storm started to hit--talking about how great the snow was at first, then sounding a bit worried, then "disaster" with the realization of frozen pipe and 2-3 feet of snow. You could also tell that she never really wanted to move away from her family . . . her husband was getting my sympathy as I read more and more, lol.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Keene wasn't the problem. The mistake was leaving Florida.

Quote:
She definitely made a bad decision. Especially having never lived anywhere like that before. I used to get emails all the time from here about how she loved it there. Then it wore her down. Trust me the decision was a lot hers too. She really did like it there until winter hit her. She bashed the heck out of FL too while she was there. Then ate those words.

She did from what it sounds like rent a dump up there too. And Keene? I don't know why she went there? There is nothing there....

Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM

Do you ever quit trying to aggrivate me? You NEED to give it up, you are making a fool of yourself on here dude.

Quote:
Keene wasn't the problem. The mistake was leaving Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or