U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM

16 posts, read 35,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I have been here for a year and I am considering moving back north soon. I am shocked at the low standards of living down here and the really bad landlords. I just can't understand it. There are no regulations here.
It's the south love protections are getting better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM

16 posts, read 35,919 times
It's still the south love, protections are getting better. how do you like the cost?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
That's what people said years ago about LA too...

You can't judge new, innovative cities like Orlando, Jax and LA based on old places like Boston and NY.
Innovative?!?! That is just about the last word that comes to mind for me when I think of Orlando. Suburban describes it much better. And to even compare ORL and JAX to LA astonishes me. Miami yeah.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I at least beg to differ on that. Every place has history and culture. It might not have history or culture that you are particularly interested in, but those things are unavoidable by the mere fact of a place existing and having some human population--it's just everything that happened somewhere and the concatenation of the residents' behavior and beliefs, with an emphasis on commonalties at least in subpopulations.
You are correct, every place does have culture. But every place does not treasure their culture, and some places would trade their historical culture for just another cookie cutter strip mall or tee shirt shop. Yep I know, that counts as culture too I guess, subculture certainly. Now if you cling to the confederate flag more than the US flag, I suppose you could say historical culture does still remain. There are lots of horses to ride, and that's a treasure, and breakfast here can stand up to anybody's, but if you'd like to maintain your heritage with, oh, say something as simple as a St. Pat's parade, you'll be crushed unless you can get to Savannah. I figure to each his/her own. I live with an aunt who would not return for anything, while 20 years later people are still understandably laughing at my sun red face!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
St. Augustine has culture, and a lot of history. The oldest city here in the USA. And beautiful...
Sorry, nothing left now but a tourist trap. Its Disney history, and some people like that. But it isn't really history.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbus View Post
Sorry, nothing left now but a tourist trap. Its Disney history, and some people like that. But it isn't really history.
What's really history to you?

Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,357,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbus View Post
How is the oldest city in the country peddling Disney history? Enlighten us. Those buildings are old Spanish buildings, and the college there is beautiful, as is the amazing Cathedral...built in 1797. Any old city in the US is a tourist trap, so what? Both Savannah and Charleston are exactly the same way. Go to St. Augustine during artwalk on the first Friday of the month and see all of the local artists in over 20 galleries. There are charming restaurants there as well.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,732,397 times
Default Pardon me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Yep, as I suspected, if you move to Florida and want to move back its everyone and everything elses fault.

Come on people, so Florida now has the worlds worst landlords???

How about this.

If you move to Florida and you want to move back could it be?

You did not do your research first?

Picked the wrong town?

Did not do the planning ahead of time?

NOT the landlords, the teachers, the police, the mayor, governor, neighbor, the crime or anything else. It is my fault.
Hmmmm...could it be I did my research, picked a great town, had some good experiences, and now its time to move on? Could it be that due to several natural disasters and being at ground zero in the foreclosure crisis have actually CHANGED the area where I live, and it isn't exactly the same Florida that I moved to years ago? That I used to tolerate the stifling weather because of all the other good things to offer, but now that those things have changed (My property taxes have doubled while the value of my home has plummeted -it's true! - my homeowner's insurance is crazy high, I have developed allergies over the past few years - couldn't predict that- the job market has changed - construction halted - all those folks moved on which in turn affected every other sector of the economy - I could go on and on).

I come to this forum to DO research, to vent a bit, to see if there are others who perhaps feel the way I do. As I have posted before, for those of you considering moving to FL, come on down, you can have my parking spot. Perhaps you could be grateful that we are posting our honest experiences and maybe saving you, or others, from having the same difficulties that we have had.

Please don't suggest that I (or others like me) did not do my research and I am "blaming everything and everyone else". I have changed. Florida has changed. Hurray, all of us are growing and changing. I find your post disingenuous at best and insulting at worst.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 14,998 times
I was born and raised in Tallahassee, Florida. To be honest without being toxic, which is how I feel about this place, I would say there is nothing much that Tallahassee has to offer. Jobs are low grade and low paying, whether or not you have a degree. It isn't much different now in that respect than it was before the economy tanked.

It is so stifling hot with humidity that you can see it swirling around in the street lights at night. On cooler days (yes, they sometimes do occur) you can still feel the humidity weighing down on you. There are really only two seasons-summer and winter, which is just slightly cooler than summer. The one good thing about Tallahassee (northern florida) is that it does get colder here than most other places in Florida.

The quality of life has really deteriorated in general and race relations are the worst they have ever been.

We moved away for six years to Rapid City, South Dakota. Although it was a beautiful, small town with GREAT weather and seasons, its economy was worse than Tallahassee. We did not do as much research as we thought we had done, so we felt we had to move back to Tallahassee. We regret it.

We are ready to move away again. We would love to move to New England. My husband was actually looking into a job in Shelton, CT, but after getting a few responses in the Connecticut forum, we are more hesitant. Our original desired destinations are New Hampshire or Vermont, but we are really leaning toward New Hampshire. I don't know much about the place, other than it is gorgeous and I love the way Keene looks and sounds. However, in the current economy, I am afraid to move. I wish all of those who are actually moving away to new jobs good luck, and I hope to follow in suit soon. Best wishes, all!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,514,505 times
Keene.... Not a lot there, not a good choice. Look around in Massachusetts, Northampton, MA is where I am from, and it is a GREAT city. Areas SOUTH of Boston are good. CT is expensive. So is RI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or