U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 03:27 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,977,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
You're definitely not crazy. I know how it feels to be absolutely miserable here in Florida, trying hard to go with the flow, to play the part in the nightmare that you want so badly to escape.

I can't say I was excited to move here, because I wasn't. Leaving the people, places and life I had known and loved, with all of the seasons and memories that go with them, shattered my heart.

I left behind all of the things you did, including a good (and clean) school where I actually learned things! When my parents took me to the school to cry with my friends on the playground, right before we took off for Florida in that oppressively humid U-Haul, I never could've imagined the horrors that were in store for me in Florida's schools!

Ah, and Christmas in Imitation Winter! I never, ever wear flip-flops, shorts or spaghetti straps, like 98% of the females here do on a daily basis, but to do so on Christmas? The holiday spirit barely exists as it is. It's great that you can go up north for the holidays!!!!
how just the 3 of us are originally from different parts of the country, living in different parts of Florida, and yet still share the same views? This is why I say we NEED this thread.

I absolutely agree with you about the schools. My kids were raised in another state and I worked (TA) in those same schools. I now work in a Florida school. Oh, I could write a paper on what goes on in Florida schools. There are standards for the WHOLE STATE and it shocks me. No comparison to anywhere in the NE or MidWest.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:28 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,714,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
In December, when it's 40 degrees out, do you call that "hot" then? I call it, "time to break out the sweaters and jackets again". And the 40 degree temps last for several months.

I'd call that winter.

People tend to forget FLorida is a geographically and climactically diverse state.

Northern Florida, especially near Tallahassee and the panhandle, gets quite wintry without being frozen solid. A good compromise for those that want seasonal changes, but not to freeze to death.

But as with everything, you can lead a malcontent to water, but you can't make them drink!

Old 10-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Default It's not 40 degrees in SW Florida

Quote:
In December, when it's 40 degrees out, do you call that "hot" then? I call it, "time to break out the sweaters and jackets again". And the 40 degree temps last for several months.

I'd call that winter.
maybe for a few hours at NIGHT, but by the middle of the day it is up to 80 degrees.

Even when I lived in Gainesville, it was NEVER 40 degrees in the DAY.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Default We came here for my husband job

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
People tend to forget FLorida is a geographically and climactically diverse state.

Northern Florida, especially near Tallahassee and the panhandle, gets quite wintry without being frozen solid. A good compromise for those that want seasonal changes, but not to freeze to death.

But as with everything, you can lead a malcontent to water, but you can't make them drink!
not because we wanted to come to Florida. We had no choice in where in Florida we came to. No, I wouldn't want to move anywhere else here. To me 40 degrees is FALL, not Winter.

I am perfectly fine going out in -2 degree weather. Nowhere in Florida has that.

I am not cut out for Florida, nevermind the fact that my daughters are thousands of miles away. How do I make up for THAT?

Old 10-04-2008, 04:00 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,409,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
maybe for a few hours at NIGHT, but by the middle of the day it is up to 80 degrees.

Even when I lived in Gainesville, it was NEVER 40 degrees in the DAY.
Yep, in the morning, when it was light out, it was still cold.

If it's LESS than 80, it's too cold, in my view. I used to LIVE for the summers when I was a kid living up north!

Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM

72 posts, read 144,237 times
Quote:
He is so lucky. Someday. Our time will come.
We'll fly like bats out of hell. On that day, we shall be victorious.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:21 PM

72 posts, read 144,237 times
Quote:
how just the 3 of us are originally from different parts of the country, living in different parts of Florida, and yet still share the same views? This is why I say we NEED this thread.

I absolutely agree with you about the schools. My kids were raised in another state and I worked (TA) in those same schools. I now work in a Florida school. Oh, I could write a paper on what goes on in Florida schools. There are standards for the WHOLE STATE and it shocks me. No comparison to anywhere in the NE or MidWest.
Yes, I believe you. I could write a book. Not that I want to revisit those days in the least, for any reason, ever, but I can tell you that my school days here were hell, a complete and total waste of my time.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Default Just the opposite

Quote:
Yep, in the morning, when it was light out, it was still cold.

If it's LESS than 80, it's too cold, in my view. I used to LIVE for the summers when I was a kid living up north!
Even as a child, I used to hate summers. The very few times when my parents took me to the beach, I used to cry that I wanted to go home. I couldn't wait until summer was over, even if that meant going back to school too.

I lived on LI for 20 raising my kids. If I went 7 times in 20 years to the beach, that was a lot. My only consolation as that summers up north only lasted a few months. Can you understand why 12 months of summer, yes it IS 12 months here in comparison, makes me crazy? I am not cut out for ANYWHERE in Florida.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:29 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,409,778 times
Arizona's worse...according to my girlfriend.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:36 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,926,841 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or