U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,890,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
declined by 3,500 children. I work in Collier. This year the decline was 400 kids. Last year it was 800 kids. Two classes were eliminated.

Care to explain this declining enrollment in view of your statement that the population of Florida is expanding? What areas of Florida are experiencing a boom in the school age population? How many new schools have been built because of it? What new construction is being built to accommodate the increase in families moving in?

It certainly is not happening in Collier. In fact there is talk of closing one of the high schools. Construction has stopped and even been abandoned.

Also, as far as people moving here, leaving, and coming back, I only can think of one person on this board. A lot of people are leaving, but I cannot recall those who are doing this the second time around. I certainly don't count since I never wanted to come back. Actually, even the first time I moved here I didn't because I wanted to live in Florida. I came here then for a person, not the state.

I am sure I could go through and find some school districts that the enrollment increased. But the point was the overall population increasing.

As far as school construction. We just had a new K-8 school open this year and have a new HS scheduled to open in 2010

Here are some census estimates. I deducted the net births and deaths to give a truer number.

Florida births less deaths has averaged about 56K-58K over the last few years, meaning we added about 57K in population without incoming from other states.

Population estimates for 2007 were 18,762,014
Population estimates for 2006 were 18,440,700

Leaving us with a net gain of 321,214

Take away the addition of births
less deaths -57,000

Incoming population amounts to 264,214

Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,109,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's pretty straight forward--people don't like Florida in general and can't afford to move back yet, or have family that they have to stay for.
that is the problem with blanket statements. you certainly aren't speaking for me or anyone that i know. a lot of the state forums have the complainers because they want a place to be able to vent. it makes sense that if you are happy you might not be taking the time to post that you are happy, but there are a lot of people who love florida.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,512,809 times
I know who you speak of...Me!!!

I came back to work at my stepfathers restaurant that he sold last week. It was a big mistake. I should have stayed up there. So I too came for a job, not for Florida.

I do not hate Florida, I don't love it either. I have stressed my positives many times as to the positives I have found here for me which are few. Not everyone has to have positives, and I would not force anyone to like it here. Nor would I force anyone to like New England either.

And if the population is getting so big here, why is it 3 years ago in the parents choice you had to pray you got your child into a good school because they were full, and NOW you get first choice right away?? I would say the population decreased in FL, and is not "filling up". Just from seeing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Also, as far as people moving here, leaving, and coming back, I only can think of one person on this board. A lot of people are leaving, but I cannot recall those who are doing this the second time around. I certainly don't count since I never wanted to come back. Actually, even the first time I moved here I didn't because I wanted to live in Florida. I came here then for a person, not the state.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
And if the population is getting so big here, why is it 3 years ago in the parents choice you had to pray you got your child into a good school because they were full, and NOW you get first choice right away?? I would say the population decreased in FL, and is not "filling up". Just from seeing that.

Demographics for an area can change, in addition to new schools being built.

I for one will take the US Census Bureau numbers over anecdotal evidence anytime.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 AM

It's just an observation, I have been here for 15 years, I see a decline in schools and in residents here in Cape Coral. You are in a very different area.

Can I ask a question? Why are you posting in this thread if you like it here? This is what happened last time and the thread was closed because there was too much arguing going on.

Back on topic please. Why are you unhappy with Florida, Where are you going to move to? And when do you plan on leaving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Demographics for an area can change, in addition to new schools being built.

I for one will take the US Census Bureau numbers over anecdotal evidence anytime.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
It's just an observation, I have been here for 15 years, I see a decline in schools and in residents here in Cape Coral. You are in a very different area.

Can I ask a question? Why are you posting in this thread if you like it here? This is what happened last time and the thread was closed because there was too much arguing going on.

Back on topic please. Why are you unhappy with Florida, Where are you going to move to? And when do you plan on leaving?
I only post here when I see untrue statements being made.

I am not saying anyone is wrong for not liking Florida but when posters say that people don't like Florida in general or that we are losing population I think others reading the forum, when deciding whether to move to Florida or not, deserve to have some rational thoughts to consider also.

I am not bashing anyone nor am I violating the TOS in any way, shape or form. Thus this should not be a reason for closing the thread.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Wow, nearly1000 a day. I wonder what the amount leaving might be?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,711,577 times
Quote:
Wow, nearly1000 a day. I wonder what the amount leaving might be?
Whatever the amount leaving is, call it n, the amount moving to the state, as a daily average, is apparently n + 957.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 AM

I understand, I am just trying to keep on topic so we don't get another thread closed.

People who want to move here have thier own minds to make up also. They want to see BOTH the positives and negatives about Florida, not just everything with the rose colored glasses on. I post both pos/negs on here in all threads, not negative comments, mine are dislikes, not "don't move here" posts. Lets just keep it in balance. No bashing, fighting, rudeness, or sarcasm. Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I only post here when I see untrue statements being made.

I am not saying anyone is wrong for not liking Florida but when posters say that people don't like Florida in general or that we are losing population I think others reading the forum, when deciding whether to move to Florida or not, deserve to have some rational thoughts to consider also.

I am not bashing anyone nor am I violating the TOS in any way, shape or form. Thus this should not be a reason for closing the thread.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Gotcha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Whatever the amount leaving is, call it n, the amount moving to the state, as a daily average, is apparently n + 957.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or