Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,722,632 times

Advertisements

I had to start a new thread, things went off topic.

Why are you unhappy here? Where would you like to go? When do you plan on making a move?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 35,809 times
I'm glad that you started a new thread- time for a new start I have lived in Citrus County Fl for 6 years-- moving here from New Jersey where I had lived my whole life. I moved here as a result of a divorce, finances, and wanting a new start for my daughters and myself. Florida has given us just what we needed- I don't regret moving here. I was able to regroup financially, begin a new career, and my parents gave us the stability we needed. BUT,,,I am as homesick today as the day that we moved. We will be moving back to NJ next June, thank goodness.
What do I miss? Among many things...the weather - the wonderful changing of the seasons, they seemed to give me a fresh start on life with each season. Someone mentioned on a previous post, their frustration with the SAMENESS here- same weather, same clothes, same trees, same flowers. For those of us that love the changes, it can be terribly frustrating and dull not to look forward to a new season four times a year. For me, there is always something missing here in FL. . The anticipation of a new season! Looking back on my life, I realize how each season and what it brought was such a part of me- and how I know I will never move away from it again. Along with the weather, comes traditions which don't seem to exist here. Decorating and celebrating the seasons and milestones seems so much less eventful here- if at all. Where I live, there is no sense of neighborhood- besides sports ( which they must do, otherwise we would do nothing)- my kids refuse to go outside 3/4 of the year and I can't blame them. It's hot and disgusting! There are no sidewalks, nothing to do. The few things about Florida that are beautiful to me, can also be found up north- sunsets, sunrises, beaches....
I have 8 months until we move and I do not want to wish my life away, but when I hear from friends about fall skies, temperatures, and activities, I just want it to be 2009. There is just no comparison. I cannot wait to go home!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 PM

I miss all the same things as you jenng104. Florida does have some good points, I am not completely a Florida hater. The beaches are nice here, but I only go to them in the December-Feb. months, too hot otherwise. I am just over the heat and humidity, funny thing is, today was not too bad at all. I need the season changes. It also has to do with my family just sold the restaurant they opened due to the economy here, and seasonal trasition. My daughter also is exactly like your kids, she will not go outsde, too hot for her, and she is allergic to fire ants.

I am actually leaving here this Sunday in a Penske on my way to Massachusetts where I was born, and lived until 1994, when I came to Florida. I will get there just in time for the season change.

I am going to Western Massachusetts to a city at the farthest end called Pittsfield. It will be a big change, but I look forward to it.

Keep your head up, June will come faster than you think!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 PM

13 posts, read 35,809 times
No - today was not bad. And its funny because as I was (kind of) enjoying it, I was thinking about how 5 years has changed my definition of "cool weather". Back home, 80 degrees and low humidity is mid summer weather, NOT cool, it's just so much better then the hot and humid nonsense we put up with here for so long.

I'm trying to prepare my young daughters...reminding them that in NJ in Sept and Oct, they will need sweaters and long pants...that it's chilly...they can't wait! But I also am expecting some complaints after a while because I"m sure their blood has thinned since living here)

Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Nah, you know that "blood thinning" thing is a medically proven old wives tale right? No ones blood thins, it's all mental. I read in the medical journal years back. I heard that when I first got here, and also that "I would get used to it", never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng104 View Post
No - today was not bad. And its funny because as I was (kind of) enjoying it, I was thinking about how 5 years has changed my definition of "cool weather". Back home, 80 degrees and low humidity is mid summer weather, NOT cool, it's just so much better then the hot and humid nonsense we put up with here for so long.

I'm trying to prepare my young daughters...reminding them that in NJ in Sept and Oct, they will need sweaters and long pants...that it's chilly...they can't wait! But I also am expecting some complaints after a while because I"m sure their blood has thinned since living here)

Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,540,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Nah, you know that "blood thinning" thing is a medically proven old wives tale right? No ones blood thins, it's all mental. I read in the medical journal years back. I heard that when I first got here, and also that "I would get used to it", never did.
The blood doesn't thin but your blood vessels close to skin surface relax in hot weather to allow your body to increase heat loss through radiation.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 PM

72 posts, read 161,620 times
I am very unhappy living in Florida. Have been ever since the day my parents broke my heart, tore me away from my hometown, and dragged me down here in that sweltering U-Haul.

It was a dark day in September. Very dark indeed.

To move away would be a dream come true. Besides being perpetually homesick, I hate living in what I consider to be a miserable, uninhabitable state. I also have more personal reasons for wanting to leave. It was never my choice to move to this place, and now that I have managed to survive and grow up here, my prayer is that I can escape soon and begin again somewhere else.

There's not one thing I will miss. Nothing. Not one thing.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Default This is the deal with the temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The blood doesn't thin but your blood vessels close to skin surface relax in hot weather to allow your body to increase heat loss through radiation.
90+ is HOT no two ways about it. I contest that there is a major difference with 80s, and even 70s here.

Back home on LI, I never put on my AC unless it was over 85 degrees. Here I HAVE TO keep it on even in the 70s. Why? Because of the oppressive HUMIDITY here. We did not have that oppressive humidity in the 70s or 80s. ONCE IN A WHILE. The rest of the time we had BREEZES (don't tell me about Naples breezes) and combined with very little humidity, it was enough for most of the 80 degree temps. NEVER put AC on in the 70s back home.

The winter here when it is in the 70s does not compare to up north, other than you are so happy the heat index is in the 80s instead of 100+. Tell me how you get used to all this humidity. I don't. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. It is suffocating. You could cut it with a knife. The only time I don't find even the winter oppressive is late at night when it sometimes goes into the 50s or even 40s. Then, and only then, does this damned humidity go away.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Default You sound just like the little boy at school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
I am very unhappy living in Florida. Have been ever since the day my parents broke my heart, tore me away from my hometown, and dragged me down here in that sweltering U-Haul.

It was a dark day in September. Very dark indeed.

To move away would be a dream come true. Besides being perpetually homesick, I hate living in what I consider to be a miserable, uninhabitable state. I also have more personal reasons for wanting to leave. It was never my choice to move to this place, and now that I have managed to survive and grow up here, my prayer is that I can escape soon and begin again somewhere else.

There's not one thing I will miss. Nothing. Not one thing.
He came here from Michigan 3 years ago. He is 8 years old. The child is constantly depressed. I am not his teacher, but a TA. He knows I am from up North and perhaps he could sense that I am not happy here either. I have never said anything though.

He came to me last year and just starting talking about how much he missed Michigan and playing in the Fall leaves and sledding down snow covered hills. He told me he didn't like going to the beach and getting sunburn. Davey visits his grandparents in Michigan every Christmas break and comes back ever more depressed. They come here to visit, but only in the summer. It seems they have no desire to move to Florida.

Having raised my own family, I can just imagine how you must feel. I can tell you that I would have begged on the streets before I moved here with kids. I nixed a moved to Texas when my husband was offered a transfer when my kids were little. I would have done the same with a move to Florida. I know people say that kids will adjust, but apparently that isn't always true.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,540,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
90+ is HOT no two ways about it. I contest that there is a major difference with 80s, and even 70s here.

Back home on LI, I never put on my AC unless it was over 85 degrees. Here I HAVE TO keep it on even in the 70s. Why? Because of the oppressive HUMIDITY here. We did not have that oppressive humidity in the 70s or 80s. ONCE IN A WHILE. The rest of the time we had BREEZES (don't tell me about Naples breezes) and combined with very little humidity, it was enough for most of the 80 degree temps. NEVER put AC on in the 70s back home.

The winter here when it is in the 70s does not compare to up north, other than you are so happy the heat index is in the 80s instead of 100+. Tell me how you get used to all this humidity. I don't. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. It is suffocating. You could cut it with a knife. The only time I don't find even the winter oppressive is late at night when it sometimes goes into the 50s or even 40s. Then, and only then, does this damned humidity go away.
Some people like the heat and some people don't.

I could live without AC but the rest of the family might complain. As it is I usually turn it off in October and it doesn't come back on until April or May.

85-90 is fine by me. I am ok till it gets down to 50 and below. Luckily we do not get that much cold weather here. But we did have a week in the 30's last year and that was too much.

I can only think of one time the heat got to me and that is when I had 60 trees taken out. I had the stump grinder going for about 13 hours straight when it was about 90-95. Besides that no problem.

I just can never understand some of the complaints on here. Yes, I understand some people did not have a choice to move here, but still, weather and changes of season are not something you can change about Florida and it has been the same way down here since long before we were all born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida