Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 AM

10 posts, read 31,077 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional person looking for a nice place in the State of Florida to live. I would like to be somewhere vibrant, but still has some southern charm. I also want to live somewhere with an abundance of things to do. I've gotten too old for the clubs, a city that has something else to offer on the weekends would be great. I plan on getting my doctorate within the next two years, so being close to a good university is high on my list. The following cities are high on my list. Please state any opinions/ideas you may have. Thanks!

Tallahassee- state capital, FSU (I'm a huge sports buff)
not much else

Jacksonville- beaches, nice communities
colleges/univerities nearby? nightlife?

Orlando- busy, vibrant, lots to do, UCF
traffic, tourist year round

Tampa- beaches, Busch Gardens, sports USF
night life?
Miami- busy, vibrant, lots to do, sports, beaches, UM (HUGE FAN!!)
traffic, tourist year round, (I would love to live here, but the city itself scares me a little bit.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
If you want any semblance of "Southern Charm," you're best to stay towards Tallahassee and Jacksonville. Probably Jacksonville for more job, entertainment, and travel opportunities for young people.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,579 times
I guess Jax, but Tampa would be good because you are still within a close drive to everything (Orlando 1 hr., Miami 3 1/2 hrs.) and you can live on the outskirts to get the "southern charm." If you like sports Tampa is a good way to go also-We have the Rays, Bucs, and Lightning. Then 1 hr. away is the Magic. Nightlife here exsists. We have Channelside and Ybor (my fav. place there is Improv).

Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,445 times
I vote for Tampa. If I had to move back to FL, that would be the city I would choose. It's close to the Gulf beaches, has 3 pro sports teams (the Rays actually count now!), a nationally ranked college football program (I'm a USF alumn, I had to throw that in there ), Ybor City, Busch Gardens, and a short drive up I-4 to Disney and Universal. It's not as overwhelming as Miami or as artificial as Orlando.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I vote for Tampa. If I had to move back to FL, that would be the city I would choose. It's close to the Gulf beaches, has 3 pro sports teams (the Rays actually count now!), a nationally ranked college football program (I'm a USF alumn, I had to throw that in there ), Ybor City, Busch Gardens, and a short drive up I-4 to Disney and Universal. It's not as overwhelming as Miami or as artificial as Orlando.
Ugh, sports teams, who cares? St. Petersburg or Sarasota. Tampa is a big blob of traffic, entertainment parks, billboards, loud cars and tattoos. Also, no sidewalks. On
the other hand, Ybor City is nice and Channelside. St. Petersburg definitely has nicer streets, sidewalks, and culture. Much more homier than Tampa.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Ugh, sports teams, who cares?
Since the OP said he/she is a "huge sports buff" I thought it might actually be relevant.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,844 times
I would stay away from Panama City if your looking for prof. job.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicidoll10 View Post
I'm a young professional person looking for a nice place in the State of Florida to live . . .
There are many reasons that tourists year round is not a bad thing--including if you're single and looking. You not only have the people who live in the area year round to interact with, but you have a constant stream of fresh faces to interact with, too.

And in Miami, especially, most of the city isn't heavily trafficked by tourists. You'd have to go to specific areas to find them. UM is a great school (I say with some bias as I went there ).

Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I'd pick Tampa - sports teams, USF, close to beaches, and you have Ybor, Channelside and South Tampa for nightlife. Not as much "southern charm" as Tallahassee or Jax, but overall probably meets more of your needs.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If you want any semblance of "Southern Charm," you're best to stay towards Tallahassee and Jacksonville. Probably Jacksonville for more job, entertainment, and travel opportunities for young people.
That's very true. Only the northern part of Florida has much resemblance to the South. The rest of the state has its own culture, really, with parts of Miami much more closely resembling parts of the Caribbean like Puerto Rico (and Cuba probably, but I've never been there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida