Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 AM

267 posts, read 1,141,069 times

Advertisements

Why am I attracting so many of nature's animals now?
I kept hearing this banging noise in my bathroom and went to check it out. There is a bird pecking at the window. I tried to shoo him away and he didn't move. I threw a soft rubber ball at the window where he was, and he still didn't move. First I thought he was stuck, then he moved off the window onto the soffet and then came back to the window. I shut the bathroom door because I am afraid if he breaks the glass, he will get into my house. Then about 15 minutes later, I was in my son's room and heard the same noise. Sure enough, there he was, pecking at that window. And that window is on a different side of the house!.
He is bigger than a sparrow, is light brown with black spots; a red spot on the back of his head and has a realy long narrow beak. I do have some red headed woodpeckers in the area, so I know he is not one of those.
Does anyone have any idea what kind of bird this is why the hell he wants in my house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Not to scare you, but some people believe (superstition), when a bird pecks at the window it means someone in the house (someone you know) will die.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 AM

WTH, I just walked pas the front window - large hight picture window - and there were two of them! One on the ledge and one on the wall next to the window. I feel like they are invading me. They flew away across the street - and now they are back.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Does he look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Now, I have a bird pecking at my windows..-woodpecker.jpg  

Old 09-28-2008, 10:05 AM

yea, kinda. The red spot is in more of a "V" shape. And I only see his belly cause he is facing me - but I would have to say that that is pretty close.

Oh - by the way, now there are three!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 AM

The female has a red spot on the back of the head and another small red spot above the bill. The male has the red in sort of a stripe on the back of the head, like in the picture. According to what I've read, they peck on solid surfaces - glass, siding, transformer boxes, in order to attract mates.

If you now have 3, I guess it's working!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
The female has a red spot on the back of the head and another small red spot above the bill. The male has the red in sort of a stripe on the back of the head, like in the picture. According to what I've read, they peck on solid surfaces - glass, siding, transformer boxes, in order to attract mates.

If you now have 3, I guess it's working!
Thank you. I googled woodpeckers and found that is is definately a northern flicker woodpecker. Great! That means I can't have my nephew get it with the BB Gun! (just kidding). I was afraid of stepping outside for fear of being attacked! I don't have a cat or anything and I couldn't figure out why in the world he was banging on my windows. Now, at least I have a clue and am not worried about anybody in my family dyeing as per the other poster.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Thank you. I googled woodpeckers and found that is is definately a northern flicker woodpecker. Great! That means I can't have my nephew get it with the BB Gun! (just kidding). I was afraid of stepping outside for fear of being attacked! I don't have a cat or anything and I couldn't figure out why in the world he was banging on my windows. Now, at least I have a clue and am not worried about anybody in my family dyeing as per the other poster.
LOL - Glad you solved that little mystery!

Shall I assume you are a recent Florida transplant? I am hoping to follow suit and move from Maryland to Florida next summer. I guess there's a lot to get used to?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Why am I attracting so many of nature's animals now?
I kept hearing this banging noise in my bathroom and went to check it out. There is a bird pecking at the window. I tried to shoo him away and he didn't move. I threw a soft rubber ball at the window where he was, and he still didn't move. First I thought he was stuck, then he moved off the window onto the soffet and then came back to the window. I shut the bathroom door because I am afraid if he breaks the glass, he will get into my house. Then about 15 minutes later, I was in my son's room and heard the same noise. Sure enough, there he was, pecking at that window. And that window is on a different side of the house!.
He is bigger than a sparrow, is light brown with black spots; a red spot on the back of his head and has a realy long narrow beak. I do have some red headed woodpeckers in the area, so I know he is not one of those.
Does anyone have any idea what kind of bird this is why the hell he wants in my house?
Well, like Johnny Carson used to say :" May the bird of paradise fly up your nose" !

Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 AM

I guess you could say that I am recent. About a year and a half. Coming from Long Island, there was a lot for me to get used to and still more to come, I am sure. In the year and a half that I have been here... lets see.. I have had cyotees and wild turkeys behind my house; I discovered a lizard in my car while driving down the street; found an alligator on the side of the road; I currently have a coral snake somewhere in my yard and now my home is being attacked by woodpeckers, - oh, lets not forget the earwig infestation that I had this summer and the scorpions I fould in my kitchen.

All in all, it's not bad.. Definately beats shoveling snow and chopping ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida