U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 AM

557 posts, read 1,629,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS228 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info.

Lakeland Yankee, I will be sure to take a quick drive by the areas you mentioned just to see for myself.

I posted that I was interested in the good and bad because where we are moving from has seriously declined in recent years. Illegal immigrants stand on street corners looking for work. A lot of the downtown shops have been taken over by bodegas, dollar stores and nail salons. The town wants to install surveillence cameras in the downtown to fight crime and the local town meetings have turned into fights about eminent domaine because the town wants to take over property to build among other things, a parking garage.

I am aware that not every city is all good and that there are drug addicts and homeless people everywhere but we were hoping that the bad in Lakeland is not as bad as the bad is getting to be here.
Lakeland is really nothing but strip malls. If you want a real old fashioned small town feel check out Auburndale(right outside out Lakeland). Auburndale is a great little town.

Please don't go down Kentucky Ave at night, it's a day-time cruise only. I couldn't even imagine it at night. The city is trying to clean it up but it still looks bad to me. Keep your doors locked . That whole area back there is sketchy like most of north,east,and west Lakeland. Lakeland gets really grimy at night.

Plenty of illegals here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:05 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,711,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Everything I say can easily be backed up by either driving through Lakeland or checking The Ledger . . .
We also have to remember that not everyone looks at everything the same way.

For example, I'm certainly not afraid of homeless people, and I don't want to try to avoid them, really, either. What I'd prefer is that people try to help them if they do not want to be homeless. I don't just mean give them money, I mean help them attain medical assistance if they need it (studies have shown that a large percentage of homeless folks have mental problems, for one--that's often part of what led to them being homeless in the first place), help them get back on their feet, and help them reach the level of self-sufficiency that folks have who aren't homeless.

I also have absolutely nothing against people choosing to live someplace for only a short period of time, or choosing to live in different locations throughout the year (I want badly to be able to do the latter myself). And I like tourists. I like living somewhere that people want to visit--there must be good things to experience there in that case. I also like interacting with new people.

As for drugs, I think they should be legal in the first place . . . but I'm a Libertarian, so I think that a lot of things should be legal that are not legal presently.

So the things that you see as problems with Lakeland I don't read as problems--at least not in the same way that you do. The implications are very different to me.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
We also have to remember that not everyone looks at everything the same way.

For example, I'm certainly not afraid of homeless people, and I don't want to try to avoid them, really, either. What I'd prefer is that people try to help them if they do not want to be homeless. I don't just mean give them money, I mean help them attain medical assistance if they need it (studies have shown that a large percentage of homeless folks have mental problems, for one--that's often part of what led to them being homeless in the first place), help them get back on their feet, and help them reach the level of self-sufficiency that folks have who aren't homeless.

I also have absolutely nothing again people choosing to live someplace for only a short period of time, or choosing to live in different locations throughout the year (I want badly to be able to do the latter myself). And I like tourists. I like living somewhere that people want to visit--there must be good things to experience there in that case. I also like interacting with new people.

As for drugs, I think they should be legal in the first place . . . but I'm a Libertarian, so I think that a lot of things should be legal that are not legal presently.

So the things that you see as problems with Lakeland I don't read as problems--at least not in the same way that you do. The implications are very different to me.
I have nothing against the homeless either, it's just you don't know if they are strung out or not. Lakeland was very kind to them giving them food and letting them camp out which attacted the homeless from all over the country. The city had to crack down as it was out of control. There's still a lot living in the parks ,swamplands and railroad tracks.

Here in Polk County Meth is a major problem and it makes people crazy(hence all the crazy news stories). Drugs need to remain illegal , but I think we need mandatory rehab. facilities instead of prison. A strung out Meth-head is not someone you want to mess with. Meth is much worse than other drugs.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:26 AM

15,109 posts, read 30,995,525 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate here is at 8% . That is pretty economically depressed. It's only going to get worse. Lots of working class people here are out of jobs. I would post the link but I'm sure it's against forum rules because the Ledger is copyrighted material.

Everything I say can easily be backed up by either driving through Lakeland or checking The Ledger. CNN and Fox news are always doing stories regarding the bizzare crimes that occur here. Polk County seems to attract degenerates from all over the USA. I'm sure a new national story will happen here soon. Most Florida natives I met from other areas of Florida don't care much for Polk County. They say the same things as I do.

I was reading these posts for years before I signed up last week . I have always enjoyed reading your posts and will continue to enjoy them. I'm not trying to debate you. You love Lakeland and I don't, no big deal. These forums are great for people looking to relocate and they need to know the whole truth. Plenty of people have said negative things about Lakeland in the past and they always get brushed off as untruthful. That is why they gave up trying. I wish I took the negative reviews more seriously. Somethings you just don't realize until you actually live here.

A person wanting to relocate to Florida would be much better off moving to Tampa ,Orlando ,or Jacksonville . But if you have to live in Polk County, I would move to Auburndale (a very nice clean safe little town outside of Lakeland).

I hope the city of Lakeland gives you a huge raise, you deserve it.
The unemployment rate is even higher down in Sarasota County, but that is one of the nicest areas of the state - so what? Unemployment is high all over Florida; this isn't the place to come to further one's career right now. Auburndale is a cute little town, but it does have high crime like anywhere else. And why would a person be "better off" in the large cities? Some would, sure, if that's what they want.

Kentucky Ave. is the main downtown strip, and it's beautiful, I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. And the police are always out at night making sure nothing happens there - I have never seen anything questionable there. Maybe on Masschusetts, which is the BACKSIDE of downtown, where the Salvation Army is I see some homeless, but they don't seem to be bothering anyone.

Yes, we have strip malls, where in Florida does not? But we have a beautifully preserved downtown area, and the Lakeside Village "open-air" mall which is a lifestyle center, not a strip mall.

Now, I have said before that of course there are not-so-nice areas here, in general up around the hospital which is where the "main east-west drag" you referred to earlier is located. But even there I STILL have not seen anything that bad. I'm not sure why so many of your experiences are negative; maybe it's just as Tungsten state, it's all how we perceive it. I have seen that a lot of people who relocate from the north just don't take to Florida; that's fine, I understand because it's just NOT HOME for some folks. I myself would probably be excessively fault-finding if I moved up north. I do agree with you that there are a lot of drugs in places in Polk County, but the biggest problems tend to be on the east side of the county, NOT right in Lakeland. Now if you are living in a bad neighborhood, and visit the stores and places in the neighborhood, I can see how maybe you are getting so negative. But the claims you make about the beautiful downtown here are very exaggerated. And thanks for hoping Lakeland gives me a raise; but I have nothing to gain or lose by praising what I think is really a fine town.

Bottom line is that people on this or any message board have to take posts with a grain of salt since we all view the world through our own filters, and we are not all looking for the same attributes in a place. By all means, people interested in an area need to visit, and see if the "vibe" fits them.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The unemployment rate is even higher down in Sarasota County, but that is one of the nicest areas of the state - so what? Unemployment is high all over Florida; this isn't the place to come to further one's career right now. Auburndale is a cute little town, but it does have high crime like anywhere else. And why would a person be "better off" in the large cities? Some would, sure, if that's what they want.

Kentucky Ave. is the main downtown strip, and it's beautiful, I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. And the police are always out at night making sure nothing happens there - I have never seen anything questionable there. Maybe on Masschusetts, which is the BACKSIDE of downtown, where the Salvation Army is I see some homeless, but they don't seem to be bothering anyone.

Yes, we have strip malls, where in Florida does not? But we have a beautifully preserved downtown area, and the Lakeside Village "open-air" mall which is a lifestyle center, not a strip mall.

Now, I have said before that of course there are not-so-nice areas here, in general up around the hospital which is where the "main east-west drag" you referred to earlier is located. But even there I STILL have not seen anything that bad. I'm not sure why so many of your experiences are negative; maybe it's just as Tungsten state, it's all how we perceive it. I have seen that a lot of people who relocate from the north just don't take to Florida; that's fine, I understand because it's just NOT HOME for some folks. I myself would probably be excessively fault-finding if I moved up north. I do agree with you that there are a lot of drugs in places in Polk County, but the biggest problems tend to be on the east side of the county, NOT right in Lakeland. Now if you are living in a bad neighborhood, and visit the stores and places in the neighborhood, I can see how maybe you are getting so negative. But the claims you make about the beautiful downtown here are very exaggerated. And thanks for hoping Lakeland gives me a raise; but I have nothing to gain or lose by praising what I think is really a fine town.

Bottom line is that people on this or any message board have to take posts with a grain of salt since we all view the world through our own filters, and we are not all looking for the same attributes in a place. By all means, people interested in an area need to visit, and see if the "vibe" fits them.
I consider US-92 the major west-east route. Of course Main street also runs west-east, US-92 is just faster. Mass. Ave runs north to south so I'm not sure what you meant.

Kentucky Ave right off US-92 is what I was talking about. A lot of roads in Lakeland start beautiful and finish rough once you get away from the downtown. You need to drive around a bit and go exploring . You'll find some of the most beautiful safest roads lead right into a ghetto.

The bigger cities like Tampa,Jax,and Orlando tend to be more progressive than smaller ones. Plus there will be better job opportunities. Jax would be the better of the three in my opinion. I should of moved there instead of Lakeland and I still might.

I was kidding regarding the Lakeland pay raise comment. You are an excellent source for info about the area. I just have a different opinion. Take care.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,051 times
I just moved from Lakeland because of the Jerry Springer life style that goes on. All you find is people stealing, doing drugs and going to jail over it. I moved to lakeland six years ago to find out what drugs were I'm a mom of two kids and have worked at the same place for five years the people on drugs get the promotion and us hard worker that dont use get crapped on. For the person who said the north side is a good part of town no its not two monthes ago someone got shot off of duff rd then there was a drug house in a neighbor hood on duff rd near lewis. ihop on 98 north got robbed over two years ago i was there when that happened so where is a good place in the 863 theres not.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fially Out of the 863 View Post
I just moved from Lakeland because of the Jerry Springer life style that goes on. All you find is people stealing, doing drugs and going to jail over it. I moved to lakeland six years ago to find out what drugs were I'm a mom of two kids and have worked at the same place for five years the people on drugs get the promotion and us hard worker that dont use get crapped on. For the person who said the north side is a good part of town no its not two monthes ago someone got shot off of duff rd then there was a drug house in a neighbor hood on duff rd near lewis. ihop on 98 north got robbed over two years ago i was there when that happened so where is a good place in the 863 theres not.
Employers here in Lakeland do take advantage of workers all the time. If you are not part their "Good Ole boy " club ,you really don't stand a chance. Even the labor unions here have no power whatsoever due to Florida being a right to work (for less) state. The working conditions in Lakeland are just utterly atrocious and shocking. Employees are used and thrown away like garbage because there's always a huge supply of applicants.

Glad to hear you got out and I'm sure you'll be much happier elsewhere. I know I can't wait to move back to a state where employees still have rights and are treated and payed fair. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 AM

[quote=gypsychic;5602311]But the claims you make about the beautiful downtown here are very exaggerated.

I never once said anything bad about the downtown area , please provide a quote. In fact , I said it was very beautiful and safe (won't say anything about the downtown rapist now that you brought it up) . Really the negatives here far outweigh the few positives unless you are in an affluent neighborhood and never venture past downtown or Southside. A person could go on and on about Lakeland and really never run out of negative stories. My fingers would fall off if I typed even 10% of what goes on here. Just check The Ledger (local paper) or keep in tuned to CNN. A new major national story is bound to happen.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,715,768 times
Quote:
I never once said anything bad about the downtown area , please provide a quote. In fact , I said it was very beautiful and safe (won't say anything about the downtown rapist now that you brought it up) . Really the negatives here far outweigh the few positives unless you are in an affluent neighborhood and never venture past downtown or Southside. A person could go on and on about Lakeland and really never run out of negative stories. My fingers would fall off if I typed even 10% of what goes on here. Just check The Ledger (local paper) or keep in tuned to CNN. A new major national story is bound to happen.
I agree, Lakeland's Polk County location alone makes it undesirable.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:30 AM

35 posts, read 340,166 times
Sorry, I didn't mean to start a fight. I guess we will just have to see for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or