U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,789,735 times

Advertisements

therats4..
Where will your DH be working? Wesley Chapel is a nice area but it is not in Lakeland. What commute time is acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:52 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,044,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therats4 View Post
HI-
I posted a message a short while ago, but didn't really include what all information we are looking for. It looks as though my husband, myself and our son will be moving to somewhere in the lakeland area by the end of this year- in about a month. Please can someone tell us what areas are the very best to raise a family. The best schools, housing developments,areas, etc. We would like a nice size home, 2 story with a pool and in a nice area with a good school district. Should we look into the Wesley Chapel area, or is there an even nicer area? Are there malls, etc? Do they have football and baseball for children? Thanks!!

I think Gypsychic knows an aweful lot about lakeland.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 14,922 times
Default nice areas around lakeland

Thank you for replying! As far as his commute time- I don't think he'd want to do more than 40 or 45 minutes. Is Wesley Chapel farther than that? Is there a really nice place in that commute time from Lakeland? I noticed on some threads where people were saying Orlando, Altamonte, etc. were a 30 minute drive from lakeland, but we used to live in Orlando and it's more like an hour from lakeland. We are needing to find a really nice area, good schools, things to do. Thanks for replying!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,922 times
thank you for replying! As far as his commute time, i think he'd want to keep it under 45 minutes. Is Wesley Chapel farther than that? We are needing to find a really nice area with good schools, things to do, etc.- a nice place for families and nice homes. Thank you!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,789,735 times
It is 45 miles and traffic is heavy during rush hours so I would 'guess' it would be over an hour. Maybe someone who has driven it, will chime in.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM

15,091 posts, read 30,946,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therats4 View Post
HI-
I posted a message a short while ago, but didn't really include what all information we are looking for. It looks as though my husband, myself and our son will be moving to somewhere in the lakeland area by the end of this year- in about a month. Please can someone tell us what areas are the very best to raise a family. The best schools, housing developments,areas, etc. We would like a nice size home, 2 story with a pool and in a nice area with a good school district. Should we look into the Wesley Chapel area, or is there an even nicer area? Are there malls, etc? Do they have football and baseball for children? Thanks!!
You can find plenty of what you are looking for here in Lakeland! This small city has more parks and recreational opportunities than cities of larger size. You will probably have to talk to a realtor here in town regarding school districts, or to narrow down the best neighborhood. If you would like to send me a direct message, I would be glad to give you the name of a wonderful, knowledgeable realtor who helped us back when we were looking. There are many nice neighborhoods here where you can get what you want and at a good price.

Wesley Chapel is quite a haul from here and congested with traffic. It would be quite a commute. Please let me know via DM if I can help you further.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 3,756,623 times
Questions:
1) what would an acceptable salary be for a single person...(renting 1 bed apt, $300 car note + inssurance,...+ other monthly/weekly/daily expenses?

2) I am searching for a 1bed apt or even an efficiency in a nice area of Lakeland. Can I find a rental for about $600~700/month + utilities?

3) would you recommend using public transportation?

4) any other advice for my relocation will be appreciated.

-I am moving from Austin, TX.
Thanks.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 PM

557 posts, read 1,628,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Questions:
1) what would an acceptable salary be for a single person...(renting 1 bed apt, $300 car note + inssurance,...+ other monthly/weekly/daily expenses?

2) I am searching for a 1bed apt or even an efficiency in a nice area of Lakeland. Can I find a rental for about $600~700/month + utilities?

3) would you recommend using public transportation?

4) any other advice for my relocation will be appreciated.

-I am moving from Austin, TX.
Thanks.
Make sure you a have a job lined up before you move here. Please don't think you'll be able to find something once you are here. This Florida economy is in much much worse shape than Texas. If you do come without a job bring plenty of money. At least enough to live for a year.

As for apartments check out Willowbrooke Apartments .Welcome to Willowbrooke. Most other apartments here in Lakeland are not worth living in. Check reviews online. Don't try to be cheap here or you will end up in a high crime area.

I never used the public transportation but I see the busses running all the time so I would assume they are efficient.

Honestly you are much better off where you are at in Texas unless you somehow line up an excellent job here in the area which is not likely.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have . Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 PM

1,456 posts, read 3,756,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Make sure you a have a job lined up before you move here. Please don't think you'll be able to find something once you are here. This Florida economy is in much much worse shape than Texas. If you do come without a job bring plenty of money. At least enough to live for a year.

As for apartments check out Willowbrooke Apartments .Welcome to Willowbrooke. Most other apartments here in Lakeland are not worth living in. Check reviews online. Don't try to be cheap here or you will end up in a high crime area.

I never used the public transportation but I see the busses running all the time so I would assume they are efficient.

Honestly you are much better off where you are at in Texas unless you somehow line up an excellent job here in the area which is not likely.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have . Good Luck.

Lakeland Yankee,
Thanks for your input.

-haircut places for less, what is the cheapest one?
-how should I go finding a rental (1-bed) apt complex or Condo?
-is it safe to ride a bicycle?
-Good toyota dealer/mechanics?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:58 AM

15,091 posts, read 30,946,644 times
Cougar, Lakeland has a really good transit system called Citrus Connection. One of the best I've seen in Florida, so you should be fine with this. Lakeland also has more bike paths than most Florida cities, so that will be good for you as well.

The Willowbrooke recommendation is a good one, it's in a real good area, nice and very convenient.

I know an excellent auto mechanic shop who works on all type cars, honest and reliable. If you need his name, just send me a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or