U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,928 times

Advertisements

I'm with yankee, do not move to polk county or any city in florida...I'm originally from OHIO and have lived in lakeland off and on since 1973 , i wished to god i had never moved here...my kids have been exposed to everything from drugs , crime , theft ETC ...if u have children , please dont move here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,767 times
It all depend on how you train your child. People are living there, we have learned of nice scools and did a lot of research. I think everything depend on individual.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,848 times
Ok I just registered here to counter some of the FLASE and MEAN statements made about my city. I am a pilot and travel all over the world. I am thankful that when I finish work I get to come home to Lakeland. When I land in Tampa I can’t wait to get the heck out of there and get on I-4 back to my town of Lakeland. I have lived in Los Angeles, Tampa, Miami, Cincinnati and Chicago and they are all big cities with HUGE problems. I could live anywhere with my job and I CHOOSE Lakeland. This is a nice small town to raise a family in. For the intelligent people who claim that Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville are far superior what on gods earth are you talking about? Do you know that the crime factor in larger cities is magnified? And as many of the people have suggested yes there are less desirable areas of town but thats why they are LESS DESIRABLE. You will get that everywhere (including your mecca of Auburndale) just don’t go there! I have been in bad areas and the worst area in Lakeland will not even come close to the "worst" areas of most major cities. If you are moving to Lakeland I would suggest the south or central side but don’t believe this "lock your doors and live in fear" mantra that some might suggest. Lakeland is a fine city and anyone with the name "Yankee" in their name clearly has not let go of his Northern roots and we would welcome him to "shovel snow and go back up I-95". I will take the sunshine and good old town feel of Lakeland.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 AM

15,130 posts, read 31,049,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus_pilot View Post
Ok I just registered here to counter some of the FLASE and MEAN statements made about my city. I am a pilot and travel all over the world. I am thankful that when I finish work I get to come home to Lakeland. When I land in Tampa I canít wait to get the heck out of there and get on I-4 back to my town of Lakeland. I have lived in Los Angeles, Tampa, Miami, Cincinnati and Chicago and they are all big cities with HUGE problems. I could live anywhere with my job and I CHOOSE Lakeland. This is a nice small town to raise a family in. For the intelligent people who claim that Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville are far superior what on gods earth are you talking about? Do you know that the crime factor in larger cities is magnified? And as many of the people have suggested yes there are less desirable areas of town but thats why they are LESS DESIRABLE. You will get that everywhere (including your mecca of Auburndale) just donít go there! I have been in bad areas and the worst area in Lakeland will not even come close to the "worst" areas of most major cities. If you are moving to Lakeland I would suggest the south or central side but donít believe this "lock your doors and live in fear" mantra that some might suggest. Lakeland is a fine city and anyone with the name "Yankee" in their name clearly has not let go of his Northern roots and we would welcome him to "shovel snow and go back up I-95". I will take the sunshine and good old town feel of Lakeland.
Thanks for that great post. We loved our time in Lakeland. One of the things I appreciate most about that pretty little city is the whole preserved vintage feel there - like a city with all it's old Florida charm. And so many businesses that have been there for decades. In a state where so many cities knocked down all their beautiful old buildings and trees to put up ugly concrete boxes and monoliths, this town is a breath of fresh air. And they kept all the lakes for the PEOPLE instead of letting all the wealthy folks get all the nice waterfront. Nice to get perspective from someone who has lived in so many large cities and would still choose Lakeland.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM

557 posts, read 1,631,126 times
Quote:
Lakeland is a fine city and anyone with the name "Yankee" in their name clearly has not let go of his Northern roots and we would welcome him to "shovel snow and go back up I-95". I will take the sunshine and good old town feel of Lakeland.
I actually speak both good and bad about Lakeland but want others to know that just because a realtor says a place is paradise that doesn't mean that it will be for everyone. If I was wealthy I would love Lakeland too because I'd be in my wealthy development with my wealthy neighbors in the wealthy area of town. I'd have an overabundance of cheap labor willing to work for me for peanuts. There is a lot I like about Lakeland but this is not a good place for the working class imho.

I'll be glad to shovel snow and leave this poverty stricken area to the meth-heads, "natives", and northerners can't afford a nicer area of Florida or believed some realtor nonsense. There is a reason this area is extremely transient.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM

561 posts, read 1,720,213 times
Quote:
Lakeland is a fine city and anyone with the name "Yankee" in their name clearly has not let go of his Northern roots and we would welcome him to "shovel snow and go back up I-95".
I will be paying someone to shovel it for me (still MUCH cheaper than year round lawn service here in FL). Most people I know do the same.

Just saying...

Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,188,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS228 View Post
We are also accepting of most people, including rednecks and white trash.
Yeah I can see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Why start a thread good and bad in Lakeland if you only want the good good good?
Exactly

Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,345 times
Default North Lakeland

I live in North Lakeland. I have no problem with crime as most of the locals around here have guns and criminals know what to expect. I have about 3 acres and prefer to not owe any bank. I developed the property myself. Most of the people here where I live have horses, some farm animals and gardens. The locals around here are very country and yes some of them are ignorant. Many dumps with land are being upgraded due to the high cost of land. In Orlando your typical new house has a 50 ft wide lot. I have about 400 ft and like the distance. With land you can create your own landscaping and garden. If the high speed rail happens then property values will go up. Many people here choose to live here and work in Orlando or Tampa due to lower property values in Lakeland. Price is a major factor for me. Increased property value projection is a major factor. I cannot stand the congestion and clutter of a 50 ft lot style of living. The Homeless congest around the hospital and the mega-church free food services as well as rehab buildings, and beg for a buck in the parks and the library. Many retired people here like myself. Yes I have guns and have used them for snakes, etc. I would love to have a 2.5 million house around downtown but I cannot afford it. The economy is bad and house prices are falling. You can get a nice 2000 sq ft house for $160 if you look. Being older I prefer about 1600 sqft with the lower taxes.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
The last post was almost 2 years ago. How is Lakeland doing now? I understand the unemployment is high, as in a lot of places. Are there a bunch of empty shops? Is South Lakeland a pretty nice part of town? I am ready to semi-retire to warmer weather. :-) I was raised in Tampa

Old 05-05-2011, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,015 times
Hey Everyone I spent the last hour reading this entire thread.
My DH and I plan to move to Florida around 2013ish. He is a systems engineer and I will be a Masters level social worker. We are AA and are moving from Maryland (I'm sure the crime in Baltimore is much worse than Lakeland ). One of our friends who lives in FL told us about Lakeland and I have been researching it for the past 6 months on so, and I had fallen in love until reading this thread. A big concern I have about moving to FL is racism, and employment. Our state wasn't hit too hard by the recession, so that is not something we have experienced (I actually quit my fulltime job during the recession to go to grad school full time). So should we be considering Lakeland as a possible place to live for an early 30s AA couple with no kids? (I'm assuming we would work in Tampa or maybe a hospital in Lakeland). Also my hubby in really into fishing and hunting as he would be looking to play bass guitar at a church...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or