U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:29 PM

436 posts, read 1,213,597 times

Advertisements

I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for a new thread aimed at the newbees or potential newbees in Florida. We seem to have such controversy over whether living in Florida is paradise or hell. So maybe, to get people acclimated to their new surroundings so they don't fall into despair, we could offer some advice and tips on how to get used to and be content with their new surroundings. For me, my neighbors were a big plus. They led to me to a great new doctor, places to take my kids, and the best places to shop. I just introduced myself and asked lots of questions. People are really eager to help if you just ask. Also, I went to visit all of the schools before I registered my kids. We were zoned for busing for certain schools, but I still wanted to get a feel for the school as well as ask around to both parents and kids about the schools. It made me feel a lot better about the schools since I had read so many bad things about the educational system here. I ended up being pleasantly surprised and my girls are doing really well in school. No place is perfect, and moving is so stressful. You have to leave yourself enough time to get used to a new area, especially if it is really different from the place you left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,316,101 times
I've lived here quite a while, but I remember bringing my worsted wool suits and coats when we moved. Big mistake. Gift them away before you move below the freeze line. I swear my pores were open for two years! Giggle, snort!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:47 PM

944 posts, read 3,537,299 times
In Florida, never engage an angry driver, especially in Orlando, Tampa/St.Pete & Miami.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,974,390 times
Default I guess if you never intend to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I've lived here quite a while, but I remember bringing my worsted wool suits and coats when we moved. Big mistake. Gift them away before you move below the freeze line. I swear my pores were open for two years! Giggle, snort!
not even for a visit? I am going up on Thanksgiving weekend. I most certainly will need my heavy coat. I saved all my woolens too. I have plenty of clothes to wear. I certainly won't be needing any shorts or capris.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,349,346 times
Don`t swim in the lakes because of the amoebas and alligators...I would suggest swimming at the beach or in Florida's natural springs.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM

187,012 posts, read 76,925,708 times
Don't stop at a local citrus grove and help yourself to a few. It's not worth it. Serious fine.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:45 PM

I did not throw away any of my or my family's coats. I have plenty of family up north and I do intend to visit. I am not a cold weather person and as soon as any mornings get below 70, I will be wearing a jacket to work....my husband will then laugh at me and call me ridiculous. lol. Tonight as I was coming home at 7:45 pm from the hair stylist, I thought about how summer was over and winter would soon be here. I cringed, and then I remembered, hey, I'm here in Florida...no worries!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Default Alligators are even in lakes/water traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Don`t swim in the lakes because of the amoebas and alligators...I would suggest swimming at the beach or in Florida's natural springs.
on a golf course. My neighbor wasn't just joking.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Be prepared to be carrying that jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I did not throw away any of my or my family's coats. I have plenty of family up north and I do intend to visit. I am not a cold weather person and as soon as any mornings get below 70, I will be wearing a jacket to work....my husband will then laugh at me and call me ridiculous. lol. Tonight as I was coming home at 7:45 pm from the hair stylist, I thought about how summer was over and winter would soon be here. I cringed, and then I remembered, hey, I'm here in Florida...no worries!
by about Noon! Even though it does get into the high 40s and low 50s during the night and early morning in winter, by Noon it warms up where you won't need it. I am in Naples.

It was 68 this morning here. I wore short sleeves and capris. I'm not cold at all with 60s, but by 4 PM it was 87 degrees. Nope. Better off just leaving the jacket at home.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 PM

My husband is just like you. He wears short sleeves all winter long. I was suprised when he wanted to move to Florida since he is the complete opposite of me. The cold never bothers him. Even though he is liking Florida and loving the new home, I have to laugh because when he works outside or washes the car, he sweats like some farm animal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or