Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Obama's largest contributors to his campaign were the devils on wall street. So you sir are correct. But the masses won't figure that out because the News told them he is the second coming of Jesus.

Isn't that the truth.
Mainstream media is sickening to watch. The past year we have heard more about Abe Lincoln than ever. Wonder why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default My daughter came here in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Shores9, can you answer a question with 100% honesty for me? Doesn't Florida suck now that your house isn't paying you to be here?
Will you please admit you miss Long Island and Florida isn't what you thought it would be so I can finally think you're an o.k. guy?
She broke up with her SO, had financial problems (but HAD a job), and moved in with us. When she came here she said it was just temporary. I even tried to talk her out of coming here. Well, she went back to visit in February and said she almost didn't get on the plane. She had originally said she would move back to NY in the summer (HATES the heat), but now she is saying she is going back in April. Her old job hasn't been filled yet (is resubmitting her resume again) and she is searching for an apartment to rent.

I always knew she wouldn't stay here, but I didn't think it would be this fast. Substract one New Yorker, and a YOUNG New Yorker, from Florida.

Incidentially, I know people who have retired and left NY. They went to NC or Pa. I do not know anyone my age (60) who has retired to Florida. The vast majority as just plain staying in NY.

I miss LI and NY and it has nothing to do with housing or finances.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Here is an interesting article on the reduction of people moving to Florida:
Outsiders' love affair with Florida may be waning - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/911042.html - broken link)

Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Here is an interesting article on the reduction of people moving to Florida:
Outsiders' love affair with Florida may be waning - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/911042.html - broken link)
In for the assist

link

Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
She broke up with her SO, had financial problems (but HAD a job), and moved in with us. When she came here she said it was just temporary. I even tried to talk her out of coming here. Well, she went back to visit in February and said she almost didn't get on the plane. She had originally said she would move back to NY in the summer (HATES the heat), but now she is saying she is going back in April. Her old job hasn't been filled yet (is resubmitting her resume again) and she is searching for an apartment to rent.

I always knew she wouldn't stay here, but I didn't think it would be this fast. Substract one New Yorker, and a YOUNG New Yorker, from Florida.

Incidentially, I know people who have retired and left NY. They went to NC or Pa. I do not know anyone my age (60) who has retired to Florida. The vast majority as just plain staying in NY.

I miss LI and NY and it has nothing to do with housing or finances.
The New York Times posted a article about this last year. They said a overwhelming majority of seniors are starting to stay in the North east to be with their kids and grand kids. They also said a lot of seniors are leaving Florida and heading back to where they are from. They said what happens is, a spouse dies and they end up alone and sad so they go back to their home towns to be with kids and grand kids. This is not looking good for Florida one bit. The article I posted says "when the boom returns to Florida". Errr are these guys on meth? What does Florida have to offer that could create the ridiculous ponzi scheme conditions it once had? 1. the jobs are low paying and non existant. 2. The talent pool here (highly skilled and educated work force) is low to non existant. Miami MAY be able to pull off a resurrection if they can cultivate local talent to the point they can start companies that will then hire people etc.

Oh and did anyone here NPR today? They said America has a brain drain, that is freaking HORRIBLE! What that means is highly educated and skilled people are moving abroad, leaving behind unskilled workers. That destroyes economies in the long run. They said these people are heading for greener pastors in China and India. They were speaking specifically of silicon valley. Most Americans don't go into I.T. anymore so this could have some very horrible ramifications. If this trend spreads, meh I don't even want to think about it.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
You know it is funny you mentioned this Wild. I actually don't have my Bachelor's (need a few more credits), but these days that is the equivalent of a highschool diploma. However, I am an intelligent person, who works with a lot of common sense (ever notice how a lot of book smart people don't have that). Anyway, my point is that my recruiter made a statement to me about my employability (word?). She said I am employable and competent, therefore, I would not have to worry too much about work. While I'd love to believe that, if there is no work, there is nothing to be employable for. If that made any sense to you - LOL.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You know it is funny you mentioned this Wild. I actually don't have my Bachelor's (need a few more credits), but these days that is the equivalent of a highschool diploma. However, I am an intelligent person, who works with a lot of common sense (ever notice how a lot of book smart people don't have that). Anyway, my point is that my recruiter made a statement to me about my employability (word?). She said I am employable and competent, therefore, I would not have to worry too much about work. While I'd love to believe that, if there is no work, there is nothing to be employable for. If that made any sense to you - LOL.
You have to finish that degree man! Right now you have to have as many pluses behind your name to get a job. I have three degrees and I am thinking of doing a Masters in Fine Art (concentration in Photography). Just so I have the Masters behind my name, its real right now. We have to be marketable and Americans NEED to get that book knowledge. We have to expand our skills. We are no longer just fighting for jobs locally with our fellow Americans. We are fighting for jobs globally and Americans don't have the leg up. See, the problem is, most Americans don't know a second language where as it is common place in many parts of the world to know two languages. Heck American's dont even know english that well. So, if you can, get into school. Look to fields that will be a part of the "new" economy when ever that starts to take form. Things are changing and we must adapt.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You have to finish that degree man! Right now you have to have as many pluses behind your name to get a job. I have three degrees and I am thinking of doing a Masters in Fine Art (concentration in Photography). Just so I have the Masters behind my name, its real right now. We have to be marketable and Americans NEED to get that book knowledge. We have to expand our skills. We are no longer just fighting for jobs locally with our fellow Americans. We are fighting for jobs globally and Americans don't have the leg up. See, the problem is, most Americans don't know a second language where as it is common place in many parts of the world to know two languages. Heck American's dont even know english that well. So, if you can, get into school. Look to fields that will be a part of the "new" economy when ever that starts to take form. Things are changing and we must adapt.
That is great advice, and I admire you for continuing your education. Frankly, I feel that too may Americans want the easy way out, or take the "path of least resistance". I also feel that arts and languages should be a part of a child's education from at least first grade on, that is when they are able to absorb so much more. I don't understand the resistance so many Americans have about learning another language - my husband is from the midwest, but as a young child moved overseas with his parents (who transferred for a job) and learned to speak fluent French, along with a little Flemish and German. You would be surprised how often he has a chance to use these language skills. I have a working knowledge of Spanish, and it is certainly helpful at times. Bottom line, getting an education, or more of an education can only make one a more enriched individual, and a greater asset to any company looking to hire.

And as the poster above mentioned, anyone going to college now should be looking to get degrees in the up-and-coming fields - "green" technology, sustainable building, organic agriculture, etc. Also, if one is not cut out for college, there will be opportunities for skilled tradespeople in alternative energy, etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I know man - I have to, but between work and my boys I'm so busy, I just haven't had the chance, but it is definitely in my plans - I am thinking about the medical field though.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 AM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I know man - I have to, but between work and my boys I'm so busy, I just haven't had the chance, but it is definitely in my plans - I am thinking about the medical field though.
You should do what I do, if you can, which is go to school at night or online. I had all the skills, but no college degree and that has really hurt me. (My field is Human Resources) It make me overqualified for most jobs not requiring a college degree, but underqualified for the the jobs that called for the degree. I felt as if I was sandwiched between a glass ceiling and a glass floor with nowhere to go.

Fortunately, I will be finished in a few more weeks; then, on to my Master's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida