U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:21 PM

232 posts, read 800,822 times

Advertisements

Englewood doesnt sound like it might work for us, but we will check it out. I dont want to have to drive a long distance just to see a movie. It just peaked my interest because of the lot prices thanks everyone for all the information and if anyone can think of any place else that fits the description of what we are looking for please feel free to reply!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM

330 posts, read 1,179,732 times
I live in Englewood in the community of Rotonda West. I have 4 kids in the public schools here.

The movie theater is 10 minutes away ( not 20-25 minutes) to the Regal Cinemas at the Mall in Port Charlotte. Around the mall is Panera's, Target, Walmart, Carrabba's, etc. There is life just 10 minutes east from Englewood/Charlotte and about 10 minutes north to Venice from Englewood/Sarasota.

There is a new movie theatre in Venice that is closer to the Sarasota County part of Englewood. I am in the Charlotte County part. The schools here in Rotonda are A schools (Vineland ES and Ainger MS). They are building a big park on San Casa to include a skate park. They have a new YMCA here and growth is coming. They are about to break ground on a Home Depot and Target, Applebees, etc are on the agenda awaiting county approval.

Englewood is far from 75, west of 41 and borders the gulf. It is a nice place to raise kids in my opinion, but getting expensive. I live on an 80x200 oversized, deep lot, but the normal lot size here is about 80x120.

Yes, lot prices are cheap, but we have setbacks that cut into the size of house you can build. Also, fees to build are high, then when you move in, taxes and insurance are killers.

Eight kids--bless you!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 PM

523 posts, read 2,594,745 times
I stay at Englewood and drive to Port Charlotte Mall to the movies , it is 22 miles and it takes us 25 mins in traffic on weekday or weekend. So you much live closer. and going down 41 to Venice takes us just as long.
THe last time we look down there, it was expensive , 2 yrs ago was really reasonable.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM

393 posts, read 1,570,451 times
It might be 10 minutes from the edges of Englewood to the edges of Sarasota as the crow flies, but not as the car is driven. It takes at least 25- 30 minutes, assuming the speed limits are followed and there are no wrecks on 41 or 75. On a map, one can see there are several towns to pass through which all have traffic lights and other traffic if you take 41 up. That all takes time (and sometimes, aggrevation) to navigate.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:34 AM

489 posts, read 1,830,561 times
We also just recently researched and visited areas in Englewood. We stopped for a meal and went into a grocery store and a Walgreens. No bad experiences and no bizarre and/or scary experiences such as the ones that are commonplace down here. It seemed very quiet and pleasant. I think anymore with all that is going on in FL - and the rest of the world that we live in - "boring" is GOOD! I highly recommend this move if you can afford it and are comfortable. Good luck to you.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:48 AM

14,652 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
We also just recently researched and visited areas in Englewood. We stopped for a meal and went into a grocery store and a Walgreens. No bad experiences and no bizarre and/or scary experiences such as the ones that are commonplace down here. It seemed very quiet and pleasant. I think anymore with all that is going on in FL - and the rest of the world that we live in - "boring" is GOOD! I highly recommend this move if you can afford it and are comfortable. Good luck to you.
You know, I have a new respect for "boring." I sometimes complain that my little town (Dade City) while beautiful is boring. Then this weekend we went to pick up a friend staying in a motel in Tampa for vacation, and he told us he walked outside his room in the morning and there is broken liquor bottles everywhere and he says "yup, I'm back in Tampa!" Then we drive around the whole city, and everywhere is seedy and ugly other than South Tampa. When hubby and I got back to our little town we said "wow, this really IS a nice place isn't it!"

So, I vote "boring" any day! At least you can feel relaxed!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM

171 posts, read 946,369 times
I grew up in Englewood, Florida and attended public schools in the area. My parents have since relocated to the Sarasota area. There was an extreme amount of drinking/drugging going on at earlier ages in the area in comparison to friends that grew up in other areas. There seemed to be an large amount of single parents in the school system that were more concerned about starting a new life in FL than paying attention to what their children were doing. That is certainly not intended to be a blanket statement for single parents, just my experiences in the area. We had lots of parents who would buy alcohol for us in junior high/high school. Many ,many of my classmates frequently drank in junior high school and almost everyone drank frequently in high school. I was a talented athlete and the drinking/drugging issues were not contained to just some of the "bad" kids by any means. As my children get older I cringe thinking about some of the experiences we had at young ages. As I have returned for reunions, I have been saddened by the paths of many of my other classmates.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 PM

232 posts, read 800,822 times
Wow!!! thanks for all the great posts. I am looking for someplace that is nice and quiet but offers everything one needs without having to drive forever to get to it.
Idahomomma sorry to hear about your friends. Some of my friends made some bad choices too and it is sad to remember the past of how they once were. Drugs is such a horrible thing....it ruins your life. I agree with my kids I worry all the time too...you know kids are going to make mistakes and make bad choices you just hope they arent the ones that are going to ruin their lives forever.

How is VENICE???

I recently read in a retirement magazine at the orthodontist office (not that I am anywhere near retirement) that Melbourne is actually the BELOW the cost of living. I wonder where they got their information?

I hear Lakeland is a very reasonable place to live

Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 PM

To get to the mall in "Port Charlotte" from Englewood, you do not take 41 or 75, it is 776 all the way, 10 minutes from 771 to the mall which is on 776 & 41. I never said it would take 10 minutes to Sarasota. To get to Sarasota from Rotonda, now that takes me 30 - 40 minutes.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
drinking/drugging going on at earlier ages in the area in comparison to friends that grew up in other areas. There seemed to be an large amount of single parents in the school system that were more concerned about starting a new life in FL than paying attention to what their children were doing. That is certainly not intended to be a blanket statement for single parents, just my experiences in the area. We had lots of parents who would buy alcohol for us in junior high/high school. Many ,many of my classmates frequently drank in junior high school and almost everyone drank frequently in high school. I was a talented athlete and the drinking/drugging issues were not contained to just some of the "bad" kids by any means
I grew up in Coral Springs and Fort Walton Beach, FL and I can say that this "activity" is rampant in many towns in Florida and probably every State in the US. As an adolescent and teen, I was faced with these same issues in those towns back in the 80's. Drugs were rampant and people dropped out of school never breaking the cycle. Yes, those types of people are here in Englewood, but they are everywhere. I teach here in Charlotte County and yes, my parent participation is NOT the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or