U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,752,434 times

Advertisements

Was not talking about the swamps, they are fine, it's the smell of the air inland, it smells wet and swampy all the time. It sure smells better on the east coast of FL from the ocean air, unless of course the red tide and fish kill is going on. I guess now you will come back with another aswer to all as usual...

There are hardly any swampy areas out here in Extreme western MA, too many mountains. Where are you going to hike in FL??? Good luck on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
There are plenty of swamps in Massachusetts. Maybe we can hike one together before I move.

That was one of the main things that surprised me about the northeastern US before I moved here--that there are swamps and swampy land ALL over it--all the way up through Maine . . . so there are swamps at least in all the eastern coastal states. Not that I'm complaining about that--I just didn't expect it, and didn't realize the extent of swampy land in the US until I started hiking a lot up here.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 AM

I have to argue when someone says the tourists are not needed in FL, I don't see why you didn't reply to that post too??? Tourism keeps FL alive, that is a known fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I thought you didn't like arguing.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 AM

1,556 posts, read 2,738,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Was not talking about the swamps
You often think I'm arguing about something when I'm not. You mentioned swamps, so I mentioned swamps, too. That's generally how conversations work. I was serious that we could hike one together in Massachusetts before I move if you'd be into it. I'll leave what things smell like to you to you.
Quote:
There are hardly an swampy areas out here in Extreme western MA, too many mountains.
Swampy areas are not at all confined to flat topography. That's a misconception that I also held prior to moving to the northeast (and hiking in hills and mountains and realizing there were a lot of swampy areas there). It has to do with the topography and the composition of the ground on a finer-grained scale--whether there are relative depressions without outlets, whether the ground can readily absorb a lot of water, etc.

In Berkshire county, you've got:

Abbey Swamp
Angerman Swamp
Barnum Street Swamp
Bear Swamp
etc.

Plus lots of unnamed swampy areas . . .

Old 10-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I have to argue when someone says the tourists are not needed in FL, I don't see why you didn't reply to that post too??? Tourism keeps FL alive, that is a known fact.
Well, and I often feel a need to correct purported facts when I think they're wrong.

However, someone saying "one thing to dislike about Florida is--TEMPORARY residents. Another one is TOURISTS" is hardly stating something factually incorrect. Florida certainly has temporary residents and tourists, and lots of people dislike them. They're not incorrect by stating that they dislike them--they really do dislike them (at least as far as I can tell, given their statement that they dislike them and what I've observed of their behavior). What someone likes or dislikes is subjective. There's not an objectively correct answer. You can like or dislike anything you want and it's okay with me. I'd never try to argue that someone should like or dislike such and such. You should like or dislike whatever you do, and I don't read a statement like "one thing to dislike about Florida is--TEMPORARY residents. Another one is TOURISTS" as saying "One should dislike tourists . . .", either. I read it as them saying that they dislike those things, and/or that it's something that at least some people do dislike. That's true.

What I'd argue with is someone saying something like, "Florida has no tourists", or "Florida has no seasons", etc. Those things are factually incorrect.

You can hate Florida's tourists and seasons or love 'em. I don't care what someone feels about them (well, maybe not beyond a casual interest in what that person happens to be like--what their tastes are, etc.). But it has them.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:31 AM

[quote=TKramar;5549756]Well, one thing to dislike about Florida is--TEMPORARY residents. Another one is TOURISTS.

So if you all stay home this year, please do, and we'll be better off.[/quote]

This is the post I was referring to....

Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 AM

[quote=BacktoMA4good;5555307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, one thing to dislike about Florida is--TEMPORARY residents. Another one is TOURISTS.

So if you all stay home this year, please do, and we'll be better off.[/quote]

This is the post I was referring to....
Right, and that was the post I quoted, no? Although I didn't quote the part you have in bold.

But that is that person's opinion. It's not factually incorrect (or factually correct)--it's factually null, beyond being that poster's opinion. There aren't facts about whether A is better than B. That's necessarily subjective. That poster thinks that people are better off (not that those people will SAY that they're better off, which would be questionable, but a matter for a survey) if tourists and snowbirds stay out of Florida. I'm as sure as I can be not knowing more about him that he thinks that, so that's fine. Again, it's not factually incorrect, like "Florida has no seasons" is.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:37 AM

5,643 posts, read 4,268,257 times
My daughter had a hockey game last night at the rink where she first learned to skate and play hockey 10 years ago. A few of the young women and their families were there, who I haven't seen in a very long time. I could not go living thousands of miles away. No, I don't want to go to any other hockey game in Florida. I want to go see HER game.

To all you people, who so like to refute anything we ever post on here, tell me how I can see her game living in Florida? Can I get her a hug being 2,000 miles away? Or do you think living in PARADISE should be enough to compensate for that? Maybe being thousands of miles away from your family doesn't bother the majority of people who move here, but it sure as hell bothers me. It bothered me 30 years ago being away from my parents and it does now with my daughters.

This is why I have always said that if I had to move anywhere at all, it would have been somewhere North (New England) or West (NJ or Pa.) where I would have still been within driving distance to my kids, and still had my REAL 4 seasons. Yes, I mean SHOVELING snow and subzero temps too. No, you WILL NOT get that in Florida, anymore than I will have my daughters in Florida either. No, they don't want to move here.

Ok, real estate agents, refute this post.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 11,426,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter had a hockey game last night at the rink where she first learned to skate and play hockey 10 years ago. A few of the young women and their families were there, who I haven't seen in a very long time. I could not go living thousands of miles away. No, I don't want to go to any other hockey game in Florida. I want to go see HER game.

To all you people, who so like to refute anything we ever post on here, tell me how I can see her game living in Florida? Can I get her a hug being 2,000 miles away? Or do you think living in PARADISE should be enough to compensate for that? Maybe being thousands of miles away from your family doesn't bother the majority of people who move here, but it sure as hell bothers me. It bothered me 30 years ago being away from my parents and it does now with my daughters.

This is why I have always said that if I had to move anywhere at all, it would have been somewhere North (New England) or West (NJ or Pa.) where I would have still been within driving distance to my kids, and still had my REAL 4 seasons. Yes, I mean SHOVELING snow and subzero temps too. No, you WILL NOT get that in Florida, anymore than I will have my daughters in Florida either. No, they don't want to move here.

No one is trying to refute your feeling and opinions.

Just your erroneous statements like, "it used to amaze me how many lakes there were. After living here, I realized they were all development made lakes. lol Yep, fake lakes, just like everything else."

Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The only thing I saw that was a problem there was the phrase "real seasons", where that's denoting "seasonal attributes that I care about".

Being away from family if you have a good relationship with them can certainly be tough, and in my opinion, one very good reason to move somewhere is to be closer to family. That's one of the primary reasons I am working on moving TO Florida at the moment--my "immediate" blood relatives are there, including my parents, who I've always enjoyed spending time with and doing activities with.

My folks are getting older, and it's getting to a point where there are a lot of things I think they'd like to do but would never do on their own. One example is that the last time I was down there (in August-September), I took them back to the Ringling Museum--they hadn't been there since the 70s (when it was a very different place). They loved it, but they wouldn't have driven there on their own. My mom won't drive further than 5-6 miles any longer (and thus she has a car that's maybe 8 years old and has maybe 500-600 miles on it, lol) and my dad gets tired driving long distances now and can't see at night very well any longer . . . and combine that with my mom not liking to be gone from home too long at a stretch because she's one of those "cat ladies". Whereas I still love driving, I don't mind driving all over the state--it's no problem for me to drive from West Palm to Tampa and back in a day, I love sightseeing, etc., so I can take them to all kinds of places they'd like to experience but wouldn't otherwise, while spending time with them and having fun with them. My siblings and nieces, nephews, etc. are either too busy or are not very into sightseeing, or they don't like driving that much, etc.--although it's not that none of them ever come along. For example, my sister went some places with us, and she was into driving as long as I'd take turns with her.

If my parents weren't still around, I doubt I'd want to live in Florida full time, and if at all possible, I'm going to eventually have at least one of my residences in the western US--the "interior west"/the desert states, not the coastal west (although I like those states well enough, too). Ideally I'll still have a place in Florida for at least part of the year (and one in the NYC area), but if that's not feasible, I'll end up living out West full time as my first choice . . . but that's down the road.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 AM

5,643 posts, read 4,268,257 times
One more thing. So many of us on this thread say we miss the 4 season up north, especially Fall and even WINTER (OMG!) and the "activities" associated with them, we are NOT scaring people away from Florida. Geesch. Why are you trying to tell us that we can get that here? We are not scaring people away with that? That is the reason 99.9% of the people who move here say they DONT want - cold and snow. Well, some of us actually LIKE that. Some of us DID NOT come here for the weather. So, weather, and our families, is why we want to leave.

To say we can get 4 seasons in Florida is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida