Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 PM

197 posts, read 734,850 times

Advertisements

My brother and his family are wanting my family to move to the Volusia County area. Personally, I love the seasons in Kentucky, but the economy here is horrible. We live in the country in the north/central part of the state and can no longer afford the commute to work and the rise in food prices. On top of that, there is really little to do in the Lexington area.

Anyway .... we were planning on moving in April 2009 because we are planning on going down there for a long visit on the second week of November to be with the family, and to try and get a better idea as to whether we should move there. If we were to move there, it would give us time (December - March) to get some things squared away in Kentucky.

My brother is a 'scrapper' type of worker. He does odd jobs like mowing and putting up fencing, and occasionally looks for items that are broken, fixes them and flips them for a nice profit. He has damn near promised that he could have me making $500 per week in Volusia County. I'm not really into cold calling and sales, he would find the work and I would do it

Is it that easy to make money in Volusia County, or is my brother stretching the truth a bit (he's prone to doing that, lol).

Personally, I am not going to like the weather much, but I do feel that being with family there it will be easier for my wife and I to go back to school (her for an LPN to RN degree, me for some major other than IT) while family watches our son (and vice versa). Our "plan" is to be down there for 2-3 years, get stuff payed off, save up a bit of money, and for ALL OF US to move to Minnesota where we can have the snow and season changes, and hopefully be able to find a homesteading type situation.

Anyway, fire away and give me your opinions of Florida in general, and hopefully some first-hand experience with Volusia County!

TTT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
if you are planning on moving to florida for more job opportunities but do not like the weather i can tell you flat out you probably would not like moving to florida, especially in you want to wind up in minnesota.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
You already stated that you probably will not like it here, however if it will help you get where you want to be then do it....

Old 10-05-2008, 10:06 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
Oh boy, I can tell you're really not going to like it here.
But why do you have to move where your brother goes? I don't understand that part. You need to live your own life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransientTranny View Post
My brother and his family are wanting my family to move to the Volusia County area. Personally, I love the seasons in Kentucky, but the economy here is horrible. We live in the country in the north/central part of the state and can no longer afford the commute to work and the rise in food prices. On top of that, there is really little to do in the Lexington area.

Anyway .... we were planning on moving in April 2009 because we are planning on going down there for a long visit on the second week of November to be with the family, and to try and get a better idea as to whether we should move there. If we were to move there, it would give us time (December - March) to get some things squared away in Kentucky.

My brother is a 'scrapper' type of worker. He does odd jobs like mowing and putting up fencing, and occasionally looks for items that are broken, fixes them and flips them for a nice profit. He has damn near promised that he could have me making $500 per week in Volusia County. I'm not really into cold calling and sales, he would find the work and I would do it

Is it that easy to make money in Volusia County, or is my brother stretching the truth a bit (he's prone to doing that, lol).

Personally, I am not going to like the weather much, but I do feel that being with family there it will be easier for my wife and I to go back to school (her for an LPN to RN degree, me for some major other than IT) while family watches our son (and vice versa). Our "plan" is to be down there for 2-3 years, get stuff payed off, save up a bit of money, and for ALL OF US to move to Minnesota where we can have the snow and season changes, and hopefully be able to find a homesteading type situation.

Anyway, fire away and give me your opinions of Florida in general, and hopefully some first-hand experience with Volusia County!

TTT

Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I agree with everyone else - you are already saying you aren't going to like it here - I predict you aren't going to like it here.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what your brother is telling you. If I were you, I would be looking into how to move to Minnesota NOW, instead of coming to a place you won't like and probably not making a go of it and hating it even worse. This forum is FILLED with people in that boat.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
You took the words right out my mouth gypsy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with everyone else - you are already saying you aren't going to like it here - I predict you aren't going to like it here.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what your brother is telling you. If I were you, I would be looking into how to move to Minnesota NOW, instead of coming to a place you won't like and probably not making a go of it and hating it even worse. This forum is FILLED with people in that boat.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:41 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
Right, I'll add to the chorus. Sounds like a bad idea to me. There must be some other way to enable your wife to go back to school and work on moving to Minnesota. It sounds like Florida might end up making everything worse for you, you might end up even more broke, and then you might get stuck.

I don't know exactly where in Minnesota you want to live, but I'd suggest this: move to some larger city first, even if it's just temporary. You could just go to Minnesota now (so probably Minneapolis/St. Paul), or go someplace closer to your present home first, like Cincinnati (I actually like Cincinnati a lot--if we had decent job offers there, I'd jump on the chance to live there for awhile; I also like Tennessee a lot, and would jump on the chance to live someplace like Nashville).

A larger city will give you better employment options, more than likely better pay, you'd be able to find a decent, cheap apartment, and you'd have far more options for you and your wife's schooling--more programs to choose from, more options for hours, etc. If you stay close enough to the city center, you should even be able to do away with your car, or just not use it very much--that should be cheaper. Let one person go back to school first while the other one works and schedule work and/or schooling so you can take turns watching your son--that way you save on that expense, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida