U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:55 PM

13 posts, read 39,115 times

Advertisements

It really is what each person can tolerate. I am one who was miserable growing up and living in Indiana. The winters were miserable dark cold months to survive, and I still remember trying to huddle in a ball shivering at recess just trying to stay warm. I hated winters! Sunshine and warmth always makes me happy. Now that we've moved to FL I am thrilled. I will deal with the extreme heat at times much better than depressing cold. Trapped in the house for months trying to be warm is no fun at all. So, to each his own. Some like the cold. Hopefully as adults we can choose to live where we like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,940,083 times
I am now in NY for a few days, It was in the low 70s during the day. It was also 72 degrees when I left Naples, Oh, what a difference NO HUMIDITY can make. It felt 20 degrees cooler and there was a nice breeze. Actually I had a two and a half hour stopover in Orlando and went outside, I even noticed a big difference in Orlando and Naples. Much less humidity in Orlando.

It has been in the mid 50s at night. I just wore my light jacket and was nice and comfortable. It felt so good to be nice and cool and wear CLOTHES for a change.

Not looking forward at all to going back to hot, humid Florida.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,909,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am now in NY for a few days, It was in the low 70s during the day. It was also 72 degrees when I left Naples, Oh, what a difference NO HUMIDITY can make. It felt 20 degrees cooler and there was a nice breeze. Actually I had a two and a half hour stopover in Orlando and went outside, I even noticed a big difference in Orlando and Naples. Much less humidity in Orlando.

It has been in the mid 50s at night. I just wore my light jacket and was nice and comfortable. It felt so good to be nice and cool and wear CLOTHES for a change.

Not looking forward at all to going back to hot, humid Florida.
It's funny.....I just left NY last Monday after scraping the frost off my windshield.....I'm told it is warmer there right now. I'm now in Florida, loving the hot weather, not looking forward to returning to NY at the end of the month to endure another long, cold winter. Isn't it great that we are all not the same?

Frank D.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 PM

74 posts, read 246,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I am definitely no authority on Florida since I just moved here. I live in Odessa which I guess you could say it is west central Florida, 30 minutes north of Tampa. Since I moved in June, I have already noticed a change, a difference in the feeling of the temps and the air. At night and in the morning when I go to work, I actually feel chilly. Now, I have to be honest and tell you the temp is around 68, but to me that is chilly, lol! It gets warmer by mid afternoon in the 80's. That is a big difference to the summer temps of mid 90's. It is just my kind of fall. Beautiful breezes with bright, sunny skies. The only thing missing are the changing leaves, and they are so beautiful while they last. But there are trade-offs in everything, and I'll trade those leaves for the beautiful winter here instead of brutal, seemingly never-ending winter (to me), gray skies, dirty snow up north. Some people see the cup half full...others see the cup half empty. There are seasons here, not as pronounced and defined by how we usually view them, especially if you are a northerner, but there are seasonal changes to some degree.
I Agree with you! And that's why we are ready to move down to FL in Couple months! Right now here in MA is nice, but by December on is just like you said above! IT'S Painfull! Never ending Winter!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,191,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
It's funny.....I just left NY last Monday after scraping the frost off my windshield.....I'm told it is warmer there right now. I'm now in Florida, loving the hot weather, not looking forward to returning to NY at the end of the month to endure another long, cold winter. Isn't it great that we are all not the same?

Frank D.

there's a HUGE difference between Buffalo's weather and NYC/Long Island's weather. It's been in the low 70s here, and mid/upper 70s in a few days. The trees are still mostly green here too. I imagine the trees are in peak right now?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 AM

436 posts, read 1,210,845 times
Just like there are differences in temperatures in New York state, as well as every other state, there are significant changes in climate all throughout Florida as well. The farther south you go, the hotter, more humid it is. That is why people need to research before moving here. If you can't stand hot and humid, southern Florida is not for you. I live west central, north of Tampa. I have not found it to be overly hot or humid in the summer any more than it was in Philadelphia (where I moved from). And now, the weather here is perfect. It is warm and breezy without humidity. The mornings and evening are cool, but not cold. Absolutely perfect for me.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,711,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am now in NY for a few days, It was in the low 70s during the day. It was also 72 degrees when I left Naples, Oh, what a difference NO HUMIDITY can make . . .
I don't know where you are, but at the moment, the humidity is 61% in New York City. It's just that it's also only 65 degrees at the moment, so the humidity isn't a problem until it gets warmer. Tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to get close to 80, but still only high 50s/low 60s overnight. The east coast of the United States, from Florida all the way up through Maine (and even in Canada) has a lot of swamps, and there's a lot of swampy land outside of the official swamps, which are part of a regular precipitation cycle, as well, so the humidity isn't normally going to get as low as the western interior (desert) states.

To me, the humidity also makes the cold temperatures feel colder.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:14 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,512,081 times
I have to agree here. It was never as hot in Melbourne/Palm Bay as it was in Southwest Florida. Plus we had a seabreeze there. If I were to return to Florida I would be living North of Orlando, or say From Melbourne up, or from Tampa up. Southwest Florida is horrible when it comes to heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Just like there are differences in temperatures in New York state, as well as every other state, there are significant changes in climate all throughout Florida as well. The farther south you go, the hotter, more humid it is. That is why people need to research before moving here. If you can't stand hot and humid, southern Florida is not for you. I live west central, north of Tampa. I have not found it to be overly hot or humid in the summer any more than it was in Philadelphia (where I moved from). And now, the weather here is perfect. It is warm and breezy without humidity. The mornings and evening are cool, but not cold. Absolutely perfect for me.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:52 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,940,083 times
I just looked up the temp and heat index right now. The heat index is currently 103 degrees. Remember it's not even summer yet. Jogging anyone?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 PM

532 posts, read 1,269,550 times
Anyone with sense would not jog in the heat. Early morning or very late in the evening when its somewhat bearable. Again I ask, whats the point of all this. If you dont like it leave. I'll take the heat and humidity any day over a long brutal winter up North. I have also seen hot weather all over the usa so why is Florida so unbearable, and the heat and humidity is nothing new, just like the bitter cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or