Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 35,504 times

Advertisements

My husband is losing his job in a couple of months due to plant closure and we are considering the possibly of moving from Delaware to Florida. The houses in North Port seem to be very reasonable. I understand we will probably have to commute for jobs. I work in an accounting department and my husband is a quality control lab tech. Our desire was to retire near the beach and although we are not ready to retire it seems like the timing is good for us to move earlier. We are both in our 40's and our son is in college so no worry about schools. How far is North Port to the beach and shopping areas? How long does it take to get to Sarasota? We are still in the researching stage and appreciate any information we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
I live in North port and really like it. On this forum you'll get people that can't stand North Port and people that enjoy living here. To answer your questions-North Port is about 25 minutes from the closest beach-Englewood or Venice Beaches would be your best bet. The average age in North Port is 38, unlike some of the neighboring cities-Venice has an average age of 69 and Port Charlotte 49.

You can reach Sarasota in about 40 minutes from North Port. What kind of shopping areas are you looking for? Port Charlotte mall which has Dillard's, Macy's, Beall's, JCPenny's, Old Navy, etc is about 10 minutes away. If you wanted more upscale stores like Sak's, Nordstrom's, etc you'd have to travel to Sarasota.

Good luck with your search

Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp23 View Post
My husband is losing his job in a couple of months due to plant closure and we are considering the possibly of moving from Delaware to Florida. The houses in North Port seem to be very reasonable. I understand we will probably have to commute for jobs. I work in an accounting department and my husband is a quality control lab tech. Our desire was to retire near the beach and although we are not ready to retire it seems like the timing is good for us to move earlier. We are both in our 40's and our son is in college so no worry about schools. How far is North Port to the beach and shopping areas? How long does it take to get to Sarasota? We are still in the researching stage and appreciate any information we can get.

What about jobs? What type of lab tech? Medical testing lab tech?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 PM

He works for a chemical company that manufactures latex.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM

That type of work might be more difficult to find in the area. Just saying. Not saying you shouldn't come here.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 PM

80 posts, read 340,776 times
My wife is a chemist as well..........she now teaches Chemistry at a high school in Sarasota. Chemistry jobs in the area are few and far between other then things like water testint, etc.

As for North Port, I am a BIG fan.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info. We have no idea of where we want to move at this point. Just know we are tired of Delaware and the winters!!! We are researching our options and gathering info from people who already live there. I have heard that the beaches on the east side of Florida is better due to the gulf being dirty sometimes. Also heard that the ocean side is much prettier. Any words of wisdom? lol

Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp23 View Post
Thanks for the info. We have no idea of where we want to move at this point. Just know we are tired of Delaware and the winters!!! We are researching our options and gathering info from people who already live there. I have heard that the beaches on the east side of Florida is better due to the gulf being dirty sometimes. Also heard that the ocean side is much prettier. Any words of wisdom? lol

I hear Siesta Key or Casey Key are nice beaches. Port Charlotte Beach is pretty dirty.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:41 PM

172 posts, read 472,451 times
Greetings fellow Delawarian! I moved to Sarasota years ago and I am very happy. North Port might be for you if you are from slower lower. However, if you call Wilmington home and enjoy day trips to NYC, Philly and DC then the SRQ might be the place for you. Best Wishes!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 AM

Information: North Port is one of SWFL's largest cities....in terms of ACREAGE. Not population...so densities are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida