Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times

Advertisements

you could give me 50,000 plus a 4 br 2 ba house, and i probably STILL wouldnt live in ky. dont take offense to that, just my opinion. hey i live in asheville nc area, ppl from ALL OVER are moving here... you hardly ever meet anyone who is a native. but you couldnt pay me the 50 grand to stay or the 4 br house to stay in asheville nc. this place is really strange!!!

fdmedic, i'd put fla ahead of my neighboring state (sc) any day of the week when it comes to crime, education, .....well..... not insurance. but you get my point.

Last edited by Marka; 07-12-2006 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-12-2006, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 19,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla
you could give me 50,000 plus a 4 br 2 ba house, and i probably STILL wouldnt live in ky. dont take offense to that, just my opinion. hey i live in asheville nc area, ppl from ALL OVER are moving here... you hardly ever meet anyone who is a native. but you couldnt pay me the 50 grand to stay or the 4 br house to stay in asheville nc. this place is really strange!!!
Why wouldn't you live in KY? Just curious. i am not flaming you. I am just curious as to what your reasons are.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,182 times
wow,
I know that Kentucky is a pretty place but let's face facts, Florida has much more to offer. The schools are not bad. You need to do research for schools before choosing your homes. You get that in all states. Even in NJ you hear people saying that schools one county are better and another is bad.
I guess it all depends on what a person wants. I vote for FLORIDA!

I mean people can keep running to wherever, and when they get to wherever those taxes are going to go up and it will be crowded and crime will rise...unless you live out in the boonies

Last edited by Marka; 07-12-2006 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-12-2006, 12:16 PM

33 posts, read 33,367 times
Someone could give me a nice house for free in Kentucky, Tennessee or the Carolinas and I wouldn't move. Sorry I just can't fathom spending winters marooned indoors or wearing 3 layers of clothes outside. And the summers are often hotter there than here. Job market in most these rural Southern areas suck--you're not buying jack anywhere in America on $5-7/hr, and that's about all you're looking at there.
Do research on the New Madrid fault line if you want a real scare living in the cheap South and Midwest. At least Hurricanes you can be prepared for and very few are ever killed in Florida by them, mostly property damage. Earthquakes and tornados are the killers. Property damage I can deal with.
Again, it's cheaper for a reason. Don't fool yourself. The weather/scenery and the job markets are subpar, and therefore the cost of living is less. Living ain't all that easy anywhere you go.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 19,431 times
Hi miadol fan, I am in kentucky now, and all of what you said is not true. I have never been snowed indoors the entire 33 years I have lived here, except once. The last 2 winters there have been no snow fall at all. Average jobs are $10.00 an hour and rent is as cheap as $350.00 for 2 bedroom apartment a month. You can buy amazing homes and properties here for under $100,000. Summers are average. I have never sweltered or suffocated. yep even we gots that new fangled air conditioning. We have mountains, rivers, and deep forests. And we sport the largest underground cave system in the world. Not to mention the best place for thoroughbred ranches. We have never had an earthquake. if you research, you will find there is a fault line in one form or another underneath most USA states. I have seen 1 tornado in 33 years. Louisville is in the nations top 20 largest cities. I don't know that you should be discouraging locales you really know nothing about.

Last edited by xymox1971; 07-12-2006 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-12-2006, 02:13 PM

I don't know that you should be discouraging locales you really know nothing about.[/quote]

You really shouldn't assume things about me as you have no clue about me. I've been snowed in at the Cincy/Northern Kentucky Airport in Hebron, KY while visiting relatives in Cincinnati area. Couldn't get the car out of the airport lot due to snowdrifts. Locals told me when it snows in KY you're stuck as they don't have as good a snow removal system as Ohio. I've been in both Lexington and Louisville when it's been over 100. My dad worked in N. KY/Covington area for several years, he worked in mortgage lending for N. KY, wages are low and poverty is high in the rural areas. I've personally met several folks who relocated from Eastern KY to Cincinnati because there are no jobs. Good friend of mine lived in Paducah for years, said low pay forced his family out. This isn't "discouraging locales", it's giving a truthful personal account.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
At first this thread provided comic relief, at least to me, on how disparate opinions are, of places. Going by what's been posted, and if I was faint of heart, I would NEVER consider moving anywhere, let alone Florida!
However, maybe a little perspective is necessary here. Individuals make up the neigbourhoods that make up the communities, towns, cities and states. Unless one has had the opportunity to meet every single one of those individuals, generalized opinion on the friendliness, attitude and welcoming nature of those individuals is hogwash.
I've had the privilege of living around the globe and can assure you the gripes posted here apply to every one of those places to some extent. There have been lots of different receptions. There have been the people that showed up to help us move in, unasked, making light of the work, providing drinks and snacks throughout the day to soon to be neighbors, plying us with information about everything from the best restaurant, grocery store, pharmacy, doctor, dentist, school, park and only God knows what else!!! Not that we hadn't done our homework, but it did make us feel right at home even before unpacking. Let me not forget the following day's early morning call for breakfast either, freshly made by our unofficial 'welcoming' committee.
There has been the move into the neighborhood where it took two weeks to get around to meeting my next door neighbour! We are all busy people after all. Was I disappointed or offended by the lack of a welcoming committee? Not at all. I made a point of going around the neighborhood and introducing myself and family to everyone I met and even knocked door to door on the houses five doors on either side of us. Not just once or twice, but several times until I was sure my new neighbors weren't going to claim that I was too shy to stop by and introduce myself. Some even kidded me about my early grassroots campaign for local office.
The same thing applies to co-workers and businesses I patronized. I went to work, not to make friends and made that very clear without offending anyone with undue hostility. If we got along fine, we’d spend time chit chatting about weather, sports, politics and gripe about whatever the latest front page news was. If we really got along maybe we’d go for lunch and hang out after hours and the weekend. As far as the businesses went, I paid for their goods and/or services expecting nothing more in return than courteous service. If they didn’t measure up, my wallet walks.
Bottom line is, if the place met with approval on my other criteria, I never worried about meeting people, making friends or other social activities and involvement. Not knowing my next door neighbour wouldn't worry or bother me in the least. There are people you'll hit it off with and spend lots of time around even if they're miles away and there are people that will live on your street that no matter what, you'll just have nothing in common with aside from sharing an address. As long as you're civil and cordial to each other, there's no requirement to become bosom buddies.
Sounds to me though, a lot of the ones saying 'stay away' have found a good thing and want to do their part in making sure no one else finds it. Not nice, learn to share...

Last edited by Spookmeister; 07-12-2006 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 PM

If I really thought badmouthing Florida on an anonymous internet message board would make the roads here less congested and the housing cheaper, than believe me I'd post stuff like "I make 100K/year and can only afford a cardboard box" or "I'm so fearful of hurricane season I wet my bed at night".

Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
The cost of living is rising across the country. Especially in any metro area. I live in Madison, Wisconsin and the median home price is $235,000. It's higher in the Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and Chicago. It is to the point where seniors that have there homes paid for can not afford property taxes and have to move out of the city.

Your mentality creates your reality. If you don't like the area you are in do something about it rather then making blanket generalizations about a state. MOVE ALREADY! There is nothing worse then knowing what you want and not having the guts to do something about it.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:01 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaramos
Most of you....must either be very wealthy or have your homes paid off or almost paid off.....or live in central florida

Crime is everyone.... you will never escape it.....however.....you can escape the HIGH COST OF LIVING if you make the right move..... which is what you experience here in Florida HIGH COST OF LIVING....

and don't forget....FLORIDA IS ONE OF THE LOWEST PAYING STATES FOR EMPLOYMENT......and one the costly to live in

I cant afford to live here anymore... and we make decent earnings....and I have been here for 28 years... NOT 8... and it IS NOT WHAT IT WAS BEFORE...and if it means that I have to go to another state.... and experience bad schools which I do here, and experience crime which I do here...but BE ABLE TO LIVE COMFORTABLY AND PAY MY BILLS....then why shouldnt I or anyone else.

Everyone has their opinions.... and trust me....more of us are getting out than staying.... the poor get poorer and the richer get richer....and the middle class just leave....

good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well said!! Good for you getting out of Florida!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida