U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,055,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ios View Post
What a wonderful idea! It would be great to happen everywhere. But it is really just a little impractical. Do u think so?

And also good luck to you~
Hi IOS and welcome to the forum. Which parts would be impractical and how do you think the idea could be improved? This thread appears to be open for brainstorming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 AM
ios

3 posts, read 4,962 times
Thanks for your warm welcome. ^-^
In my opinion, crime exist all over the country, like thief, robber. I hate thief, they often grap other person's thing without paying out. The author suggest hiring more cops, but i think we should improve ourselves first, so it is much more vital to heighten people's education and quality. This absolutely could change your mind. Using more cops everywhere is not a permanent program. (it's only my opinion)

If each one is a good guy, the country's future will become more beautiful and bright! Do you think so? I would like to share ur comments.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:47 AM

60 posts, read 194,901 times
No one ever considers WHY taxes are what they are. Its the states, all 50, cost of doing business. The state should be run like a business. Businesses dont give away money, there are no freebies. If these things were to stop you could cut taxes by 50 percent easily!
But no one wants to do that.....it might mean tightening their own belt! If you were to ask ten different people what they think should be done about taxes,crime etc youll get ten different answers but no one of them will have an idea that requires themselves to do anything different.
As for crime, how about this.....actually punish criminals! No more "deals"....actual punishment. Bring back chaingangs. If prison is bad enough people might actually think twice!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:13 AM
ios

3 posts, read 4,962 times
As to crime, i think people all over the world should hold together and stand out voluntarily to fight against criminal. Also, government could encourage and reward brave people. This will cultivate a upstanding ethos.

About tax, i think it is beyond control.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:52 PM

159 posts, read 597,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
50K homestead exemption is a joke when a house is "valued" at 500,000. Come on, you still have a 9,000 dollar tax bill. Here's my solution. Base taxes on a percantage of the purchase price, adjusted to the inflation level or the income level of the owner(s). Make hometsead a percentage of value, like 50%. The counties and state are so stupid, they think they will lose money from lower property taxes. The money will be regained in sales taxes. Let's see, 2% versus 7% of spending...and we citizens should DEMAND reduced government. Floridians are overworked, and too selfish to get together and fight. If we targeted the politicians who fight against us, the others would come in line. Definately get rid of 'save our homes" Any lawyers out there with enough guts to get this declared unconstitutional? Can you take a break from your 300.00 an hour jobs and do some good for a change? We can take back Florida if we want, but those in power are on the gravy train getting rich. They know we citizens are spineless or powerless to hold them responsible.
$9k taxes for a $500k house in Palm Coast would be a bargain! I have seen some low $200's with $6k tax bills here!

I am with you Rick on taking back Florida. That's why I bought "The FAIRTAX" book. I just finished it. Like they said it is not perfect but it sure beats what we have now. Have you read it? It would eliminate Property Taxes and all other taxes. There would be only one tax, a sales tax which is only paid once at retail.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:21 PM

278 posts, read 729,898 times
Landshark, you are right on target with the fairtax. I went to a townhall meeting here with some local politicians and we all seemed to agree that this system would work a lot better than what we have now. But, it involves getting rid of the IRS and the current idiotic tax code. Can this be done? We can only hope. It has been talked about for years, hopefully some changes will happen in our lifetime.............

Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
Government is run by lawyers, and as we know most lawyers are greedy cowards who live off the system. While engineers would give it to you straight, a lawyer will beat around the bush till he/she can get away with you money. They don't realize that tax reform could once again make the united Stated attractive to business and reverse the outsourcing trend. If people stop borrowing and start investing in industry and get money AWAY frome government things could return to 20'th century prosperity. Otherwise we'll be just like Europe and that's a fate I would not wish on my worst enemies.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
Another thought, we need to do something about prison populations. Jail is a waste of our valuable tax dollars. Decriminalize drugs, and do not lock people up for white collar or non-vio;ent crimes. Violent criminals deserve severe punishment only if they are really guilty. Make a law that if a prosecutor makes a mistake he/she pays with the same punishment given to the suspect. None of my common sense ideas will ever happen as they will cut off income from a lot of well-established wealthy interests.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:46 PM

278 posts, read 729,898 times
I wonder if we can ever return to 20th century prosperity Tallrick. It seems like a monumental task to reverse the current trends in this country of people overspending, too much credit, bankruptcy, corrupt government, etc, etc. I think we are definitely going down the wrong track and I wonder what it's going to be like in 10 or 20 years. Scary........

Old 02-16-2007, 11:49 PM

540 posts, read 1,123,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
NAH, like the others, I think you have some pretty good ideas there. One of the things I personally disagree with is singling out teachers, nurses, and cops to have increased salaries. Basically, of the three professions, officers are the only one who lay their lives on the line every time they go to work. But then we'd also need to consider the prison guards who often have some threatening situations. It's a lot like Fl Nana said, you can't keep raising public salaries while you are cutting taxes.

As far as building affordable houses for people, it is possible to do. At the risk of offending all of you who are tired of hearing "This is how we do it back home.) We have a program that is called the "Governor's Houses". I believe it was started by Bill Janklow when he was governor. The prisoners who are in minimum security build the houses so there is no labor involved. The cost of the house is something like 35,000, up from 25,000 a few years ago. There is an income guideline but it isn't that stringent. Also, you cannot possess over 100,000 in property or $$. You buy your own lot, have your foundation set (or some have basements dug) and you put your house on it. Some people add a garage throughout time when they get a few extra $$ together. Since Florida has such high impact fees and lots in some areas are astronomical, that would need a bit of tweeking to have it work down there.
I think some teachers also lay their lives on the line in some schools! Look at the gang problems, kids taking guns and other weapons to schools. Nurses already make more than teachers and cops, more are getting into nursing because of that.(that is not a good thing-to do it for the money!)Teachers should make more, they do not make as much as a babysitter! If you look at it that way, a babysitter makes around $5.00 an hour for one child. 20 children x 6 hours=$600 per day! Then again, teachers get all that vacation time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or