Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 06:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini View Post
Gypsychic,
Thanks, that sounds like a great area... It is on my list of places to look into. Husband will be happy to hear that people actually can work in FLA we were getting worried with everyone posting about all the unemployment and no jobs available anywhere...It starts to get very discouraging. Thanks so much for all the info.
How well does Yoga do in your area?
Forgot to mention that my neighbor across the street is an underwriter, a good job also in downtown Tampa to which he commutes daily. The fact is, if one has a good profession with a degree and credentials, there are MANY good-paying jobs in this area, it is one of the best.

As far as yoga goes, I can't answer specifically, but even up here massage therapy is very popular, the therapists here can hardly keep up with the demand. I think you would be successful finding a location either here or more toward the USF campus. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 AM

85 posts, read 287,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina View Post
yogini,
I will be moving to Ocala in July, and in the neighborhood that I bought there are somr great properties for sale oround 3-7 acres some have guest
houses that might be a good thing for you and they run anywhere from 350,000 to 800,000 its an equestrian comunity called Meadow Wood Farms
maybe you can see some listings.
Where are you movivg from, well if you do decide on Ocala let me know I will bw your first customer.
We are from NY (Long Island). Meadow Wood Farms sounds nice also. Glad to know I'll have at least 1 customer to start Thanks for the info

Old 02-16-2007, 08:00 AM

[quote=gypsychic;372664]Forgot to mention that my neighbor across the street is an underwriter, a good job also in downtown Tampa to which he commutes daily. The fact is, if one has a good profession with a degree and credentials, there are MANY good-paying jobs in this area, it is one of the best.

I told husband to look at the job market in and around Tampa. At least he can get a feel for whats available. Everyone is so helpful here. I really appreciate it. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:54 AM

628 posts, read 1,833,449 times
Yogini

Coming from LI myself I can understand the part about 4+ acres but that is the one thing that you may ultimately compromise on. I know the Tampa Bay area rather well. The core counties are Pinellas – Hillsborough – Pasco and to some extent Manatee.
Of your 7 point list all but one will be satisfied with most central to south “Florida city” locations. However I think the Tampa Bay region has the most to offer.

I don’t know what your tolerances are but even north Florida can get cold and for that reason I would say n/s Carolina is also out (not to mention the lack of diverse economy in the Carolinas)

With any area that is rural in nature [which is where you find the land] you will not get the services like the better schools or the demographics to support your business or the commutable distance to a reasonable job for your husband.

Another poster mentioned Dade City. This is a really nice suggestion. Real pretty land but a bit removed from Tampa – not quite sure it’s the kind of commute that will work for you/husband but this is subjective.

I think the Tampa Bay area has a lot to offer. My wife is an underwriter in Tampa – great job with a good company. Anywhere in this region supports the demographics for you Yoga business and lifestyle but NW Hillsborough jumps out at me for this reason. NW Hillsborough also is an easy commute to d/t Tampa.

Pasco is a bit further north and has more land but you start to lose some of the other stated requirements. Think of it like this – Pinellas and Hillsborough are like Nassau and Pasco is like Suffolk 25 years ago.

I have two suggestions.
1- This suggestion is thinking a little out of the box. For the money you are looking to spend you could buy 2 waterfront homes in the same community. I know several that are extremely quite type places (I live in one) with deed restrictions that help keep andpreserve high standards and qualities. Both you and your retired parents can have their own private place and you can be close by (1 or 2 block over) for support. These communities exist in both Pinellas and Hillsborough very close to Tampa and/or St Pete and have deep water access to the Bay should you ever want to enjoy the water as a boater.
2- NW Hillsborough has some parcels of land that are 2+ and larger but it would be hard (not impossible) to get the water aspect. It would probably be frontage on a small to medium type lake.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Shores9 I sent you a PM...Thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 05:57 PM

Question Vero Beach???

Does anyone know if the Vero Beach area would satisfy some if not all of the needs I listed?

1.Warm Climate with no snow (or very little)
2. A lot of land 4+ acres where we will not be on top of our neighbors. If they have a barking dog we don't want to know Lived too long like that and we need some peace and quiet.
3. Waterfront if possible (Lake, River) that would be ideal. But not a deal breaker.
4.Good school district. We are starting a family.
5. Area where my husband can commute to work (in a city I guess)
6. I am a Yoga Teacher with a very successful business and will want to relocate it to an area that is health conscious and open to a place like that.
7. Possibility of two homes on the property, either already built or renovate an already existing structure. Again not a deal breaker.

If any areas jump out as being able to suit some or all of these needs I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks again

I just want to clarify that when I said $$$ was not an issue I meant that land and houses up to and around $1-1.5 mil would be fine but $16 mil estates not so fine

Also it is not set in stone that we have to be on the water, even a lot of beautiful land would be fine.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida