Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 PM

85 posts, read 287,529 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying no matter where we move I promise we will never say "That's not how we do it up North" Thanks in advance for all of your help

Originally my family and I were looking in GA but have now decided that S/N Carolina or FLA might suit our needs better. I am hoping that residents (born and raised or transplants) and also Agents might share their suggestions...
Here it is:
Due to medical reasons my family needs a warm climate. My family consists of my husband, myself and my retired parents. Money is not an issue so all input and areas are welcome. We are looking for the following:
1.Warm Climate with no snow (or very little)
2. A lot of land 4+ acres where we will not be on top of our neighbors. If they have a barking dog we don't want to know Lived too long like that and we need some peace and quiet.
3. Waterfront if possible (Lake, River) that would be ideal. But not a deal breaker.
4.Good school district. We are starting a family.
5. Area where my husband can commute to work (in a city I guess)
6. I am a Yoga Teacher with a very successful business and will want to relocate it to an area that is health conscious and open to a place like that.
7. Possibility of two homes on the property, either already built or renovate an already existing structure. Again not a deal breaker.

If any areas jump out as being able to suit some or all of these needs I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks again

I just want to clarify that when I said $$$ was not an issue I meant that land and houses up to and around $1-1.5 mil would be fine but $16 mil estates not so fine

Also it is not set in stone that we have to be on the water, even a lot of beautiful land would be fine.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 04:26 PM

232 posts, read 886,650 times
LOL.. I was getting ready to post...if money is not an issue could you pass some my way? LOL

seriously though we are moving down soon also. I have heard for that much acreage you may want to look somewhere up north..possibly Ocala or around there.Good Luck..

From all the posts it seems up north is more reasonable to in regards to HOI and taxes

Old 02-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Ocala is on the list...

It's so funny you mention Ocala because that was the one place we looked into and liked so far in Florida. I was hoping that there would be a lot of other areas too that would suit our needs... Wishful thinking I'll keep looking up North though. I think you are right about the taxes and HOI. Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Iwill suggest northwest Florida. Many areas can support your need(s). Look at Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Panama City, Port St. Joe and others...

Old 02-15-2007, 06:54 PM

Sunrico90- How is the economy in those areas in terms of finding a job for husband and my opening a Yoga studio? Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 06:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini View Post
Sunrico90- How is the economy in those areas in terms of finding a job for husband and my opening a Yoga studio? Thanks
What is your husband trait?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 PM

At this time underwriter but I think he would be happy with any good paying whitecollar job he could find down there. Seems like there are not a lot of jobs anywhere according to all the posts around here Hope that's not all true

Old 02-15-2007, 08:42 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Well, my husband and I live in the rolling hills of Dade City, just 35 miles north of Tampa - a beautiful little semi-rural small town. Husband commutes to downtown Tampa each day for his great job, about one hour. I think your husband could find a good job in Tampa and commute. Also, Dade City is just about 30 min. north of the USF area, about 40,000 students, and lots of great medical facilities around that area. You might want to check it out. Lots to like in this area, and nice climate, too. Many lakes, rolling hills, and woods.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Sounds like a great place

Gypsychic,
Thanks, that sounds like a great area... It is on my list of places to look into. Husband will be happy to hear that people actually can work in FLA we were getting worried with everyone posting about all the unemployment and no jobs available anywhere...It starts to get very discouraging. Thanks so much for all the info.
How well does Yoga do in your area?

Old 02-15-2007, 09:29 PM

11 posts, read 33,219 times
yogini,
I will be moving to Ocala in July, and in the neighborhood that I bought there are somr great properties for sale oround 3-7 acres some have guest
houses that might be a good thing for you and they run anywhere from 350,000 to 800,000 its an equestrian comunity called Meadow Wood Farms
maybe you can see some listings.
Where are you movivg from, well if you do decide on Ocala let me know I will bw your first customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida