Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

The original post is an e-mail that has been around for years. It was not meant to be taken seriously, but as tongue-in-cheek.

For some of you not familiar with the original poster, he is a wonderful person, helps his fellow man every day, and if you actually knew what he did for a living you would be ashamed of yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 06:18 PM

458 posts, read 598,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The original post is an e-mail that has been around for years. It was not meant to be taken seriously, but as tongue-in-cheek.

For some of you not familiar with the original poster, he is a wonderful person, helps his fellow man every day, and if you actually knew what he did for a living you would be ashamed of yourselves.
Don't know about all that. That original post seemed like someone who was longing for the old, simpler days. Sure didn't read like a joke. What exactly is funny or light hearted about lead based paint, smoking while pregnant, or all the babues who died until research proved the better way to put a baby to sleep???

I understand that we all miss the old days, but many of the things he mentioned were very, very wrong and irresponsible.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:21 PM

The joke is that we all survived. He is not longing for anything.

Of course it is better that times have changed. He'd be the first to tell you that. But it is funny how we now hover over our little ones. I am guilty of that. I have to be the most neurotic mother on the face of the earth.

He does not mean these things literally. It means that sometimes, through God's grace, or karma, or just because, we turn out okay, anyways.

He is not here to defend himself, because he is probably at work saving a life.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
The joke is that we all survived. He is not longing for anything.

Of course it is better that times have changed. He'd be the first to tell you that. But it is funny how we now hover over our little ones. I am guilty of that. I have to be the most neurotic mother on the face of the earth.

He does not mean these things literally. It means that sometimes, through God's grace, or karma, or just because, we turn out okay, anyways.

He is not here to defend himself, because he is probably at work saving a life.
Thanks Hiknapster! Yeah I was at work last night. This topic was to be funny. If it was not for the Law I could post some real stuff thats not funny at all. But this is paradise and all. To people who don't know lets just pretend this is pleasantville and the sunshine is all we see. But don't forget your PROZAC

Last edited by firemed; 10-27-2007 at 07:45 AM..

Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
Don't know about all that. That original post seemed like someone who was longing for the old, simpler days. Sure didn't read like a joke. What exactly is funny or light hearted about lead based paint, smoking while pregnant, or all the babues who died until research proved the better way to put a baby to sleep???

I understand that we all miss the old days, but many of the things he mentioned were very, very wrong and irresponsible.
Jim you might want to lighting up a little. I see death all the time and its sad but to say I'm irresponsible is just a slam. It was meant to be a funny post.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Hiknapster....unfortunately you did not ALL survive...because you were not wearing seat belts, smoking 3 packs a day, and throwing kids down 60 degree angle hills without a helmet....and the ones that did survive were busy having kids and teaching them if you fall you must sue everyone in sight, and run at the sight of any colored person.

Gotta love those Boomers....seems like everything they touch goes BOOM!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM

I'm not the OP or a Boomer. I was defending firemed, an all-around nice guy, who does more for most people in a week, than most of us have in a life-time.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
I am sure he is a great guy and gives mouth to mouth to all he meets....but his post was nonsense at best, and dangerous at worst. Boomers have been the root of the greed and destruction of 3 generations and counting....so I will not hold them in such high regard nor credit them with having a non-existent idyllic lifestyle.

That being said, I can view his post as being cute...but there are many who may take the post at its word and believe the BS....so I, along with many others, are pointing out why it is soooo very wrong. And for the record..we all may be just as heroic as your friend too....so make room on that pedastal you are holding for the rest of us.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:19 AM

199 posts, read 219,928 times
Quote:
I'm not the OP or a Boomer. I was defending firemed, an all-around nice guy, who does more for most people in a week, than most of us have in a life-time.
What he does or does not do is irrelevant. No one is judging firemed as a human being. And we all know that what someone does outward is meaningless, history is full of priests, charity workers, etc.who did tons of good deeds in public, but secretly were doing horrible things. So all of that is irrelevant.

The post made light of smoking mothers, lead paint, and SIDS. We all long for some of the old days....but the post was in poor taste.

Americans sometimes fall into the trap of feeling we have to defend everything our political party, friends, etc. do. Wrong is wrong, no matter if it is done by a supposed nice guy or not.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,492 times
Geesh, I remember one of my aunts used to harness and tether her kids to the clothes line, so they would stay in the yard! Hahahaha Can you imagine someone doing that today!?

My poor cousins, I just do not know how they came out mentally and emotionally unscathed from such a thing! They still laugh about it themselves.

You know we never wore a helmet or padding for roller skating either, come to think about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: