Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Posters asking about demographics, climate, etc. But, what's the MAIN reason for relocation? Can the mods do a poll?

Job?
Family?
Retirement?
Looking for paradise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
You can do the poll yourself, scroll down and load the poll

Old 02-16-2007, 04:01 AM

66 posts, read 282,665 times
We want paradise and retirement. I'm so sick of the cold, snow, ice etc. of February in the NE.

I've been to Florida in the summer many times and find the coastal areas quite comfortable.

I'll build as hurricane proof as possible, get generators and bottled water and be as happy as a pig in .....

Old 02-16-2007, 04:37 AM

3 posts, read 16,824 times
I am Greek, my current way of living is pretty good and there is hardly anything to justify moving to Florida, as of its better there.

I stumbled upon an ad for a job in WPB that is as if it was designed for me, I discussed with my wife and we would welcome the change, provided we visit the place and like it and the money is good.

If the opening was in a "cold" state or in a place outside a city I wouldnt have considered it, also after this I started looking and I found something similar (in job) in Qatar, immediate refusal from wife, and even if she said yes it mean living in a area with company houses 70 kms from the capital.

But I am really amazed with the ease you guys have with "state hopping"

Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
My husband and I had a really good life in Colorado. However, Denver was getting more and more crowded and yuppified, we were sick of 9 months of winter, and the husband had been wanting a change in career.
We had already explored this area. The job finally materialized, and out here we came. Nine months later he was laid off. We'll be moving, probably to the northeast side.
But we are staying in northern Florida; we have met some good people, and we like the weather, the coast, the Old Florida architecture.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
I spent Wednesday on the beach in South Florida. Afterwards, we had a lovely dinner along the Intercoastal. Playing in the ocean and having a lovely outdoors dinner along the water in the middle of February is exactly why I moved to Florida. I just forgot the sunscreen and got a bit too much sun!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:11 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Oh, my. So many choices. Yes, we're retiring. We're going towards friends who live down there, a warmer (or should I say much warmer) climate, a 55+ community where we won't have to worry about mowing the lawn, who to hire for garbage, whether the sump pump's going to work keeping the basement dry, being able to swim almost every day of the year without having to keep the pool clean and buying chemicals, same with the hot tub, having a more social environment with a plethora (word for the day, gang!) of planned activities.

I think that about does it.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:20 AM

158 posts, read 868,338 times
My family and I are moving there because it is beautiful there. I live there for about 2 years and loved it. Moved back here because I was going through a divorice and had my 1st child. Now five children 1 semi normal husband we are ready to get out of IL.

I know IL has some good points but to us Florida has waaayyyy more. We HATE cold.

I would rather sweat than freeze.

I am a pretty active person and can not wait to bike ride, sea shell hunt walk along the beach and explore with my husband & children. I look back and all the best most fun times of my life have been in FL.

I love my family so no matter where I live life is good. The sunshine will just make it even better!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:29 AM

60 posts, read 211,741 times
I was born in Lakeland Florida and spent most of my life in Florida. 15 years ago I was forced to move to Illinois(long story). Im moving back because I cant stand being stuck in the house 8 months out of the year, given a choice between sweating and freezing Ill take sweating every time!
Scenery? Here I can look at buildings(Chicago) or corn fields and snow(the rest of the state). Yall keep whining about taxes, yeah, OK. You have no idea what a real tax burden is! Right now its 7 below, might get up to 19 today we hope.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 AM

208 posts, read 974,610 times
Our choice to move to Florida is a quality of life choice. We enjoy warm weather outdoor activities, including just about anything to do with water and also my daughter and I have a particular fondness for the theme parks. That coupled with my current near 5 hour round trip door to door commute and we're looking at basically spending more time together as a family, doing the things we most enjoy doing.

I have come to the realization, at a somewhat early age, that family time is more important than career and making the most money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida