U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,165,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Why not check out Jacksonville? Jacksonville is a far better city than anywhere else in Florida other than Miami . Stay away from the west and north side and you shouldn't encounter much problems with anyone. Jax is very up and coming and has a lot to offer. Very nice people with old fashioned Southern manners and plenty of Northeastern transplants. It might just be what you are looking for. Good Luck.
I agree, Jax is a good-sized city that might fill the OP's needs.

In addition to Lakeland's suggestions of areas that might not suit you, I will add one more caveat - Jax call fill your requirement IF you stay in the more urban parts or out at the beach. Meaning, if you decide to live out in the far-flung suburbs, you will run into a completely different demographic.

So if you're into older, established neighborhoods with homes from the 1920's, 30's, 40's, check out San Marco, San Jose, Avondale, etc. - the "river neighborhoods". Another option would be to live out at the beach if it's in the budget. There are some other parts of the Southside of the city you could consider as well.

But if you move to Jax and decide to move to one of the big planned developments that are out on the edge of the county and beyond into the surrounding counties, you may not be happy (based on your original post request).

I am from NYC as well (Manhattan), and I'm happy living in Jax . We have UNF (University of North Florida) and FCCJ (Florida Community College of Jacksonville) for you to pursue your education.

As for Tampa, I never heard anyone describe it as redneck? That's a new one for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,493,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
As for Tampa, I never heard anyone describe it as redneck? That's a new one for me.
I guess it depends where you live or lived. Obviously if you lived downtown or on the Pinellas side of the bay, that isn't the case but the further east you go, the more big pickups and confederate flags you see...

Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,165,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I guess it depends where you live or lived. Obviously if you lived downtown or on the Pinellas side of the bay, that isn't the case but the further east you go, the more big pickups and confederate flags you see...
Right, here too. The further you get from the city center or the beach, the more likely you will see similar sights. I just never heard Tampa described in the same way...I thought people only said that about North Florida .

Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,275,049 times
Just to add my 2 cents worth - I love the historic areas of Jacksonville. I plan to relocate to Florida next year, and I've been looking at the gulf coast - North Port and Venice - and also the Inverness area a bit further north. But I haven't ruled out Jacksonville, which is where my father was from, and where my childhood summers were spent. I love the old 1920 Florida bungalows, with hardwood floors, fireplaces, and craftsman-style details. The ranch-style houses of the gulf coast can't really compare. But the cost of living appears to be a bit higher in Jacksonville, and I would also love to be close to the gulf beaches. So I don't know what I'll end up doing.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,383,114 times
Quote:
I agree, Jax is a good-sized city that might fill the OP's needs.

In addition to Lakeland's suggestions of areas that might not suit you, I will add one more caveat - Jax call fill your requirement IF you stay in the more urban parts or out at the beach. Meaning, if you decide to live out in the far-flung suburbs, you will run into a completely different demographic.

So if you're into older, established neighborhoods with homes from the 1920's, 30's, 40's, check out San Marco, San Jose, Avondale, etc. - the "river neighborhoods". Another option would be to live out at the beach if it's in the budget. There are some other parts of the Southside of the city you could consider as well.

But if you move to Jax and decide to move to one of the big planned developments that are out on the edge of the county and beyond into the surrounding counties, you may not be happy (based on your original post request).

I am from NYC as well (Manhattan), and I'm happy living in Jax . We have UNF (University of North Florida) and FCCJ (Florida Community College of Jacksonville) for you to pursue your education.

Trust me, Tampa is filled with REDNECKS and I mean everywhere. You will see when you visit!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I agree with Gypsychick, Tampa is not by any means 'redneck'. Living there 30 years, I have been in every part of Tampa. There are some not so good areas, but I don't know if I would call them 'redneck areas'.

I worked with a lot of folks from NYC who love living in Tampa. Most lived in the NW section of Tampa.

Really, take a drive to check out the cities you are considering and check them out.
Are you serious? I live in N. Tampa and have been all over. The only place I did not see a million rednecks was near Citrus Park area. My neighborhood is full of them and the area surrounding.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbucket View Post
hello,

our family currently lives in fort myers. We have a 9 yr old son with disabilities. We hate it here, to put it mildly. I myself lived in miami for years and love it, but in the past trying to relocate back there has proved so difficult and it also doesnt seem like the same miami i knew in the 90s. we are nowhere near rich. we do not own a home here. we would like to relocate to a FL city where we can find more and better schooling options for my son, some university or college for me to go back to, and definitely a more city atmosphere without the "country" twang fort myers has.I have been told orlando is too big and strange. I am told that Tampa, though it may sound nice, is really really redneck (but it has the university and is a city right?), and i dont know if anywhere i would prefer on the east coast would be affordable (miami area, broward). Any comments on the city you live in are appreciated, we are trying to stay in FL to be near family but cant stand fort myers for one more year. I am form NYC and this is just too wierd for me here, i cant adjust, looking for more of a middle road. thanks!
St. Petersburg is much nice and more livable than Tampa anyday. They have nice parks, sidewalks and the streets are clean. Also you are near the beaches. They also have great museums and restaurants.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM

15,124 posts, read 31,016,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Are you serious? I live in N. Tampa and have been all over. The only place I did not see a million rednecks was near Citrus Park area. My neighborhood is full of them and the area surrounding.
Yes, Keeper and I are 100% serious - just what is a "redneck" to you? Now mind you, I am not disagreeing that St. Pete or other cities are nicer in a lot of ways, Tampa is my home town but even I don't wish to live there anymore for various reasons. But with all the diversity in this city, there is no way in heck anyone can say it is "filled with rednecks" as you claim, this is just not true; unless you have a totally different definition than I do.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,493,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, Keeper and I are 100% serious - just what is a "redneck" to you? Now mind you, I am not disagreeing that St. Pete or other cities are nicer in a lot of ways, Tampa is my home town but even I don't wish to live there anymore for various reasons. But with all the diversity in this city, there is no way in heck anyone can say it is "filled with rednecks" as you claim, this is just not true; unless you have a totally different definition than I do.
Confederate flags on everything, boots, beltbuckles, big trucks with big tires mostly spewing country music although othertimes gangsta rap ( go figure ) That about covers it. Like I said earlier though, It tends to intensify the further east you go into Hillsborough and well into Polk.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,712,192 times
Quote:
Right, here too. The further you get from the city center or the beach, the more likely you will see similar sights. I just never heard Tampa described in the same way...I thought people only said that about North Florida .
When I grew up in the "western communities" near West Palm Beach in the 70s, there were a ton of rednecks in that area . . . and I used to hang out with some of them, I was in bands with a couple of them, etc. They would go "muddin" just on the north side of Okeechobee Boulevard, east of 441.

Now that that area is so developed (and you can't go muddin' off of Okeechobee--instead it's a yuppie housing development), I hardly see them any longer. I know there are still some rednecks in Loxahatchee, but a lot of them seem to have moved away--I just do not know where. I lost touch with most of the rednecks I used to hang out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or