U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,489,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
it still makes you wonder where all the good, honest politians went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I am very liberal and am proud to be from a state that, at the time I decided to relocate had a great man in charge in Lawton Chiles.
I agree 100% and that's a great story. I actually got to meet him while I was in middle school. It's unfortunate that he passed so early.

btw, I agree with the above quote, You might get a little friendly flaming though about " honest politians "...

Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,135,105 times
lol. Yeah, I guess it might flame up some remarks, but it's true. There are a lot more dishonest politians these days, or so I believe, but this is my opinion. It is very unfortunate that he did pass early, as you said, very sad. Thanks, a great story and very true. My grandma has the VHS tape and I used to watch it a lot. It's crazy, but showed his kindness. My grandma even said that he told his body guards it was ok, they didn't have to be on the defense (as my grandparents were walking up to his car) lol.

Quote:
I agree 100% and that's a great story. I actually got to meet him while I was in middle school. It's unfortunate that he passed so early.

btw, I agree with the above quote, You might get a little friendly flaming though about " honest politians "...

Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,711,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
just curious as to how many Floridians will vote for this hateful Amendment come Novemeber 4th.

This isn't even about Gay marriage anymore but the ability of couples who aren't married to make deciscions regarding healthcare and if they can even visit them in the hospital.
I would definitely vote "No". Unfortunately, I'm not going to be voting in Florida yet.

I think anyone should be able to marry anyone they'd like to marry--whatever gender(s) and however many parties would like to be joined.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:24 PM

944 posts, read 3,531,997 times
Hopefully in my lifetime we'll see more Floridians accept science and gay people. These two issues put Florida embarassingly behind other states.

Here's a great article on the brain's response to fear; basically the amendment 2 types need to get control of themselves and override their "gay panic" with logic. Do any of them truly believe gay marriage is a threat to marriage? Bizarre.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...848769,00.html

'Em dern humasaysuals and gall-dang muh-geeshuns!

Last edited by Muggy; 10-22-2008 at 05:33 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Hopefully in my lifetime we'll see more Floridians accept science and gay people. These two issues put Florida embarassingly behind other states.
Hey, we agree on something, who knew ?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,640,251 times
Quote:
just curious as to how many Floridians will vote for this hateful Amendment come Novemeber 4th.

This isn't even about Gay marriage anymore but the ability of couples who aren't married to make deciscions regarding healthcare and if they can even visit them in the hospital.

On the upside, I haven't seen any "Vote Yes on 2" signs around here... but plenty of "Vote No" signs.

Then again, I DO live in the second or third most liberal county in the state, so it may not be indicative of state wide opinion. Again, I think people will vote yes simply because they don't know how broad it is beyond merely "defining" marriage a certain way.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 AM

1,730 posts, read 4,104,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
What I can't understand is how the religious people are suppose to be so excepting of one another and our differences, yet they want things like Amendment 2. It really boils my blood. When are we all going to be accepting of one another, and stop putting up these stupid bans against other fellow Americans. I think you can see where I stand on this amendment.
I consider myself religious as a practicing Catholic and I am voting hell No on this awful Amendment. If I could find a sign for my yard I would put it up even though it probably wouldn't last very long before it was stolen or defaced.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I consider myself religious as a practicing Catholic and I am voting hell No on this awful Amendment. If I could find a sign for my yard I would put it up even though it probably wouldn't last very long before it was stolen or defaced.
Don't believe in civil rights, eh ?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

62 posts, read 249,725 times
I'd like better information also. This ammendment apparently would affect straight couples who have lived together for years: if your domestic partner were ill , would you be denied by hospitals in deciding surgical procedures or denying them because you're not the spouse?
If you had written agreements between two adults (1 male & 1 female ) regarding what you wish done if injured,surgerically,being kept alive on machines or not, would this amendment be saying ONLY MARRIED PEOPLE get to make decisions of life & death ?
If you are currently a domestic partner and on your partners health policy, or mortgage, how would that be affected legally by voting YES or NO ?

I see allot of posts regarding this amendment mentioning gay marriage.
But doesn't this amendment also affect non married straight persons?
Frankly after visiting allot of sites with "explanations" of the amendment, I'm more confused than ever.

What would YES actually mean to un-married straight people who have domestic partnerships?
What would NO mean?

Quote:

Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,393,891 times
Quote:
Um.. I don't know exactly why you replied to me with this, but I think we agree on the amendment and about marriage in general.

I'm pretty sure that marriage was created as a religious ceremony but it's said that marriage predates all recorded records so who knows. I'm pretty sure that most same sex couples don't even care so much about the ceremony or the peice of paper so much as the equality, benefits, and rights. Although I'm sure they would love to have a ceremony that they could remember their whole lives too.
You are mistaken. We do care about the ceremony and the piece of paper. The following statement is not meant to go against you. Like I usually say, if you don't support gay marriage, then DON'T get one. But don't tell me what to do!

It would be a shame if Florida voters approve Amd. 2. Oh FL, you keep sinking and pretty soon not even a God will help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida