Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

just curious as to how many Floridians will vote for this hateful Amendment come Novemeber 4th.

This isn't even about Gay marriage anymore but the ability of couples who aren't married to make deciscions regarding healthcare and if they can even visit them in the hospital.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
State law already restricts marriage to a man and a woman, and Florida doesn't recognize gay unions performed in another state. And the state Supreme Court removed tax reform from the ballot for this?!?!? Makes my blood boil...

Last edited by TampaKaren; 10-21-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I'm afraid the so-called "Obama phenomena" will actually help it pass, given the socio-religious proclivities of the African American community.

He needs to issue a statement fast telling his supporters to vote AGAINST the FLorida AND California initiatives.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
What I can't understand is how the religious people are suppose to be so excepting of one another and our differences, yet they want things like Amendment 2. It really boils my blood. When are we all going to be accepting of one another, and stop putting up these stupid bans against other fellow Americans. I think you can see where I stand on this amendment.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
I don't understand the staunch opposition from religious leaders. They, of all people should be the calming voice that all but demands that we go against the Bible in Matthew 7:1-2 and Leviticus 19:18

Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 AM

48 posts, read 243,690 times
If Amendment 2 passes...I am out of Florida ASAP.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
I am very liberal and am proud to be from a state that, at the time I decided to relocate had a great man in charge in Lawton Chiles.

I was very embarassed to call myself a Tennesseean when the same amendment passed in Tennessee last year. Let me ask this question, What ever happend to the seperation of church and state ? You may not and do not have to agree religiously with same sex marriages, However it is NOT constitutional and it violates peoples civil rights.

Keep in mind it wasn't too long ago that people of seperate races were not allowed to be married.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Civil marriage is a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I am very liberal and am proud to be from a state that, at the time I decided to relocate had a great man in charge in Lawton Chiles.

I was very embarassed to call myself a Tennesseean when the same amendment passed in Tennessee last year. Let me ask this question, What ever happend to the seperation of church and state ? You may not and do not have to agree religiously with same sex marriages, However it is NOT constitutional and it violates peoples civil rights.

Keep in mind it wasn't too long ago that people of seperate races were not allowed to be married.
There is nothing sacred or holy about it. Is your mortgage sacred and holy too? Contracts aren't sacraments either. The whole concept of marriage has been totally blurred into religion. If people want all that religious stuff, let them have their ceremonies in churches, who can discriminate all they want, such as the catholic church refusing to marry civily divorced couples. Want an amendment to ban divorce too because a church doesn't recognize it?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Off topic....it's been many years since I heard the name Lawton Chiles. Yes, he was a good man, good politican. Believe it or not he actually helped my grandparents bring my mother over from S. Korea and actually attended her wedding (it was in my grandparents backyard in Miami). It was all over the news and newspapers, but I think that as someone who was as important as him helped bring over my mother and to come to a simple wedding (just because a Marine-my father-wanted to marry a S. Korean girl) is pretty great and shows what a wonderful guy he really was. Granted this was back in like 1981, but it still makes you wonder where all the good, honest politians went.

[quote=TNRyan23;5806205]I am very liberal and am proud to be from a state that, at the time I decided to relocate had a great man in charge in Lawton Chiles.quote]

Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
There is nothing sacred or holy about it. Is your mortgage sacred and holy too? Contracts aren't sacraments either. The whole concept of marriage has been totally blurred into religion. If people want all that religious stuff, let them have their ceremonies in churches, who can discriminate all they want, such as the catholic church refusing to marry civily divorced couples. Want an amendment to ban divorce too because a church doesn't recognize it?
Um.. I don't know exactly why you replied to me with this, but I think we agree on the amendment and about marriage in general.

I'm pretty sure that marriage was created as a religious ceremony but it's said that marriage predates all recorded records so who knows. I'm pretty sure that most same sex couples don't even care so much about the ceremony or the peice of paper so much as the equality, benefits, and rights. Although I'm sure they would love to have a ceremony that they could remember their whole lives too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida