U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,217 times

Advertisements

I have parents that moved there about two years ago. They absolutely love it. They are very active in the community, with going on trips, welcoming new members, dances and much more. I have been there 6 times myself, each for a week or two for visits or to help them move in. I found the property in very good shape, well maintained and managed. I have met with many of the "TEAM" on my visits so much so, that at age 47, I am planning my retirement there at 55. I have been actively seeking property already, (open lots) which are very few, so I may purchase early. My only problem is that I would have to pay the monthly fees until I may move in. That is a big deterant for now. I am a Fire Chief in my home town in the NORTH, and I find it very comforting to know that an EMT is less than 2 minutes from my door with the push of the alarm button (of which there are 2 in each home). The alarm sounds at the gate where each guard is a trained EMT/Fire fighter. As for being a prison, sounds like someone who was let go or refused access. I honestly could not find anything wrong with the exception of no pets, (but the grounds are clean and poop-free) since I am an animal lover. You can bet I will see you all there in 2017 or on one of my many visits to come. (averaging three per year) Jim from the North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,911,274 times
Jim,
Welcome to the forum. I'm a career firefighter & medic (and NYS EMS instructor) here in NY. I own a place about 2 miles south of Hawthorne in The Plantation.

I will tell you that the Fire & EMS service down there is awesome. I have been at neighbors houses when they called 911, and within 2-3 minutes a pumper crew with 2 Paramedics are there doing ALS.....12 lead monitoring, IV's, etc. Then the Ambulance shows up with their ALS. I watched them and spoke with them and was quite impressed......and it takes a lot to impress me.

I'll be down there full time within a year or so, and feel good knowing we have excellent emergency services there.

Frank

Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM

17 posts, read 29,370 times
I hope you win your case.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,007 times
Great community. As in any community there are a few discontents. As one current resident says, 98% of the residents think they died and went to heaven ,the other 2% wouldn't be happy if they made it to heaven. This is one of the best kept communities you will ever find. Activities galore. Access to the chain of lakes. Check out photos on Facebook. Hawthorne at Leesburg

Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,984 times
Default A resident's perspective

We have lived in Hawthorne for about one year. It is a great place. In addition to the amenities noted above I think Hawthorne differs from other places in our sense of community. The planners did it right. With our narrower than usual streets there is a real sense of community like a small town and it would be difficult to avoid your neighbors. A friend bought a home last year and had about 10 people sharing a beer in his front yard the first day he was here. Our homes are smaller than other places (and less expensive). 1,300 sq feet is typical. There are many restrictions (for this country guy) but the place is well kept and a joy in which to live. There are about 2,300 (?) residents and over 150 activities. There is always room in any group to join in. Our weekly and monthly dances are attended by people from many other communities because they are fun and inexpensive ($5.00) and BYOB.

I have visited and toured most of the other communities nearby and while some have homes that are truly beautiful I like our cozy community best of all. I guess it is all in what you like. Hawthorne feels like a small, friendly, well maintained community where you soon get to know many people. There are far too many activities for any one person to take advantage of all of them.

My wife and I would not live anywhere else. It is just our cup of tea. I am a retired university professor, my wife is a nurse and there are all kinds of people here from all walks of life. We all share a preference for an active life style in a quiet, pleasant, well maintained community with friendly residents.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,911,274 times
JoeW,
Welcome to the forum! When my home sells here in NY, I'll be just down the road from you. I do agree that Hawthorne is a nice place. I have friends who live there.

Frank

Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Pets

What happened? Are you still at Hawthorne? We met Polly in FL last year and we saw you there. We like Hawthorne as well but do not like the no pet policy.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Default Hawthorne and service dogs

I wonder if you still live there? I met your friend Polly one day this past winter and heard of your story. I wonder what happened in the end. We have frinds that live there but since we are in VA now I have not heard of the outcome. Anyway, I hope you won.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
My grandmother is 101 years old. She was telling me today how much she loved it when she lived there and how much she misses all the social activities with the many friends she made. My wife and I came home and immediately Googled Hawthorne. I'm impressed. It's definitely the kind of place I would like to live.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:45 PM

35 posts, read 69,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkitty1954 View Post
I am a rsident of Hawthorne it is a very beautiful place. The no pet rule is applied most of the time, many cats and birds ect; exist and the rule is over looked. Because of illness I applied for permission to have a doctor recommed service dog. We waited 7 mo. for an answer. With total disregard for federal law the board turned us down. At this point Hawthorne is taking us to court to have us and the dog removed from our property.Only time will tell who is in comand the Hawthorne Board of Directors or the United States Fedral Law.

Why do so many people move to gated communities and harass the board about the rules? If I didn't agree with the rules I wouldn't move to a gated community in the first place. Why do so many pets owners pretend to be such lovely people when they actually are selfish, inconsiderate and rude as demonstrated here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida