U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM

27 posts, read 143,684 times

Advertisements

Looking for input about the 55+ community called Hawthorne on 27 south of Leesburg. Would appreciate info from current or former residents. Is it really as nice as it seems? I understand that no pets are allowed. What about motorcycles? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 29,059 times
Hi, I ran the community that is next door to Hawthorne and I had some friends that worked there. It is like living in a high priced prison for many reasons. The people that own/run Hawthorne can not be delt with and I would suggest not looking into it very far. There are other friendly 55 parks in and around leesburg.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjshaw View Post
Hi, I ran the community that is next door to Hawthorne and I had some friends that worked there. It is like living in a high priced prison for many reasons. The people that own/run Hawthorne can not be delt with and I would suggest not looking into it very far. There are other friendly 55 parks in and around leesburg.
New to the forum, looking at something in Lake Griffin MHP- any thoughts on that park? Any info for parks around Lake Griffin will be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 PM

27 posts, read 143,684 times
GJ: Thanks for the input. But I'm looking for info from residents, not employees. If your friends indicate that it was "prison like" what would residents tell me?

Old 06-10-2007, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 10,057 times
Default Leesburg Hawthorne Florida

I too am interested in any information from former or current residents. I have been considering buying something in this community for quite some time but want to be assured that all is good. nnelson

Old 06-10-2007, 12:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,944,244 times
Hi.
I am not a resident there, but I have close friends there who have owned a place there for years. They could afford to live anywhere, but just love it there. We stayed with them a few times while buying our home, and found it quite nice.
The people who ran the security gate were very friendly. So were the men who ran the in-house fire dept.
The grounds were kept up nice, and they have an active community. Residents seemed very friendly.
The only thing about it that made it not our "cup of tea" was the no pet rule and the no renting rule.

I suggest you visit the area and check things out for yourself........you may like it.

Frank D.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 8,508 times
I am a resident and hope I'm not too late to add my two cents worth. This is really a great place, well run and with absolutely everything in the world to do. A beautiful swimming pool, tennis courts, pickleball court, bocce ball, croquet, softball field, shuffleboard, a beautiful clubhouse where there are many activities such as ceramics, stained glass, painting, card games of all sorts, quilting, crocheting. There is a nice marina, though there is a waiting list to get a boat slip. You will find many friends if you join in any of these activities and I've only mentioned a very few....there are many more. There is a fitness room as well as other exercise classes, dances every week, movies, a beautiful library....I just can't mention them all. If you have any questions please feel free to [mod]Contact via DM[/mod] and I will be glad to answer them. It is true you can't have pets. Some people do have motorbikes though they are very quiet. Don't know who the person was saying it was like a high class prison but I think they must have been talking through a hole in their head Kat

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-21-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,333 times
Hello,
I am visiting in December to take a look. Would you be so kind as to get in touch with me?? I am located in Horseheads, N.Y. It is a long way to go,but as far as I can tell, it's worth it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,944,244 times
Vickie,

The resident who posted has only posted one post over a month ago......so they may no longer be around.....I do not know.

Hawthorne is very nice.....there are many nice communities in the area at all price ranges. We own a home in The Plantation, about 2 miles south of Hawthorne.

Enjoy your December visit, and check out as many places as you can.....most all very nice, one may just feel like the perfect fit. Good luck!

Frank

Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,132 times
Default Hawthorne @ Leesburg

I am a rsident of Hawthorne it is a very beautiful place. The no pet rule is applied most of the time, many cats and birds ect; exist and the rule is over looked. Because of illness I applied for permission to have a doctor recommed service dog. We waited 7 mo. for an answer. With total disregard for federal law the board turned us down. At this point Hawthorne is taking us to court to have us and the dog removed from our property.Only time will tell who is in comand the Hawthorne Board of Directors or the United States Fedral Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida