U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 20,116,919 times

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed about coping with cold temps, northern homes are usually better insulated than ones down south. When I visited friends in Maine, I was toasty warm inside the house though the snow was piled up taller than I am.

Since we don't have severe cold spells, most of us opt for electric heat-pumps rather than furnaces. Heat pumps do not blow warm air, I don't know what they do exactly, but you will just about freeze even if your thermostat is set at 70. Some of you folks down in s. Florida probably have something even more minimal than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 05:07 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,821,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I love the humor in these posts. Elfy and VCats, are you trying to say you don't like the cold? I realize that some day we'll be living down South and I'll think I'm freezing to death if the temps get down to 32, but we just came out of a cold spell where our nighttime windchills were minus 25 and lower. Our regular temps were from zero to about 20 below. This morning they showed a few places in Fla. where people were bundled up in coats and I thought it was funny. It really does make a difference for what you're used to. When autumn came and it got down to 32, I was so cold and now I'm anxious cause our temps are supposed to get into the 30s and 40s the next 10 days.
Jammie after you get used to the heat most of the year, a little drop is really noticeable.
I finally stripped this morning, got in the shower and dressed as if there was a snowstorm to go outside. It turned out to be a beautiful crisp but real sunny day. I had to take off my jacket. I think it's colder in the house than it was outside!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,979,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I was born here. Believe it or not some people were actually born and raised in Florida!

So was I and I cant wait to leave(but will stay if house prices drop to $50k and if I have a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Relocation is in my plans, just have to figure out where. Believe it or not sunny weather depresses me unless we get a thunder storm. Who knows, I could move to north Florida or to another state, I just want more room, and to sweat less. Would be nice to have shirts that last longer than 6 months when working outside and be able to wear tough pants like jeans without getting that heat rash. In fact I still have the rash, it's awful, just need a few weeks of cool weather to get rid of it.

Youll probably want to live somewhere in WV, OH or PA

Elfyum, you are an unusual exception. Most people want cooler four season weather and my poll proves it! Heat sucks, me and tallrick have problems with it! Heat makes me hot, sweaty and lazy and I cant even sleep if its too hot!

Quote:
The central heat is broken so I just use a wood stove for heat in the winter. It cuts my electric bill in half although the house is cold in the morning. 58 degrees inside the house this morning.
Thats not bad, its 68 now in my room and when I leave FL ill be heating about the same temp as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Right now I am wearing long johns, fuzzy warm socks, long sleeve flannel pj, AND a hooded ski jacket, with the hood on, AND I'm inside the house in Miami with the heat on. I couldn't sleep well last night it was so cold. You can't see through the windows. Bones start to tolerate cold a little less as your chronological clocks ticks upward.
Any thoughts I might have had of looking towards northern Florida for my later years, have to be seriously re-considered. I ain't a happy camper right now! :-)

Wow are you Elfyums sister? You and Elfyum are the only two people I know who use heating in Miami I am wearing long pants and a T shirt, thats all. I warned my parents not to touch the heat as its a waste of money in a tropical climate like south Florida. Its 68 in my room which is just fine. It did get to 65 downstairs as cold air sinks.

I laugh at all of you who think Florida is cold! Sure I was a little cold but I was wearing long dress pants and a tshirt, basically summer cloth. Today felt great earlier with the sun out and a high of 63 I was neither cold nor hot! I should acclimize to the cold nicely when I relocate to the northeast

Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM

232 posts, read 813,284 times
elfy and vcats Im with you the hotter the better. When it is this cold outside I dont even want to go to the grocery store....thank goodness for husbands or my kids would starve. Like a bear in winter just wake me up when its over!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,388,442 times
Yeah - me, vpcats & shedav are cousins! (The three caballeros! I almost spelled it right but I had an "i" instead of the first "l"...
What would we do without google?! )
I feel the same way - the more I feel this cold, the more I think "Retire somewhere north (of Miami) ? Uh...Maybe not..."!!!

Hey - to all of those who scoff at us who are cold now - I CAN'T WAIT to return the "favor" in the summer!!!!!!!!
Not to sound evil (heeheehee ) but I laugh when people think 90's is hot!!!
All of you wimps () whining - "Oh it's too hot - I'm sweating..."
HA!!!!!!!! Sweat baby sweat!!!!!!!!
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think cools you off?!
When you're all wet, you can't be hot! I'M not!!!
HAHA!! It's coming & you can't stop it!!! 6 months of PURE HEAT & HUMIDITY!!!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Sing it with me cousins!!! -

"I'm Mister Green Christmas
I'm Mister Sun
I'm Mister Heat Blister
I'm Mister Hundred and One
They call me Heat Miser,
What ever I touch
Starts to melt in my clutch
I'm too much!

I never want to see a day
That's under sixty degrees (I'd change it to 80!)
I'd rather have it eighty, (ninety)
Ninety, one hundred degrees! (one hundred and twenty!)

Oh, some like it hot, but I like it REALLY hot! Hee hee!"

I'm too much...!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:44 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,393,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
elfy and vcats Im with you the hotter the better. When it is this cold outside I dont even want to go to the grocery store....thank goodness for husbands or my kids would starve. Like a bear in winter just wake me up when its over!
I'm with you. When the temp is -40 it's cold. When it's -20, it's cold. But I saved up my money for a long time and bought a house with a furnace.

It's 70 when I get up, it's 70 at my office. And I really bought an exceptional truck. it has a heater. So it's 70 when I get in the truck.

Only, my nads shrivel during the 30 feet to the truck. And again when I'm running to the office from my parking space.''

The grocery store is 70 degrees. But the run/walk from the parking lot is not!

I tried hybernating, it didn't work. The damn phone rang. It was my daughter. She said "What are you doing?" I said, Hybernating. She said, "Why do you want to do that? I said, "Bye." and hung up. She called back in about a minute. There goes the hybernation. hahaha

Old 02-18-2007, 04:45 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,397,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I mean no offense, but I had to laugh, when you talked about this winter being warm! Honey, if you want colder stuff, in Florida, come on up to the Panhandle! We've been having quite alot of colder temperatures. In fact, as I write this, it's 25 degrees outside. There was ice in the horse/dog water buckets this morning, and there will be again. I will say, I actually like the cooler stuff, especially since I got my miniature horse, and I'm outside alot more, now. But, on the other hand, my hands and feet do tend to get cold and stiff, after awhile, and I sometimes get irritated having to wear bulkier stuff. But, I'll enjoy it, anyway, 'cause I know it'll be hot and humid soon enough.
The panhandle may suffer, if that is the right word, the coldest numbers in Florida, but there is a huge difference being a little cold and having 5 feet of snow outside. A little cold weather is nothing to deal with. Turn up the heat a little and throw on some extra clothes and you are good to go. There is nothing debilitating about cold weather in Florida.

I enjoy the change of weather once and a while and really look forward to winter in Florida, it is some of the nicest weather of the year. It beats the rain and intense heat and humidity like seven days a week we get in the summer. Winter in Florida is the best.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The panhandle may suffer, if that is the right word, the coldest numbers in Florida, but there is a huge difference being a little cold and having 5 feet of snow outside. A little cold weather is nothing to deal with. Turn up the heat a little and throw on some extra clothes and you are good to go. There is nothing debilitating about cold weather in Florida.

I enjoy the change of weather once and a while and really look forward to winter in Florida, it is some of the nicest weather of the year. It beats the rain and intense heat and humidity like seven days a week we get in the summer. Winter in Florida is the best.
It's really not horrible. It's a welcome change of pace occasionally. But thankgoodness it only lasts a couple of days here and there. I just don't have enough time to get used to the here before the there comes back. That's makes it harder. I also feel like I can't move if I even have only a sweater on. Can't take the layering anymore. I'm so spoiled!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:08 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,242,102 times
Our area stays cold in the winter months, does not compare to the northern states. Buy due to the daily fluctuations makes it feel very cold as soon as we hit the mid 30 degrees. Fluctuations of 20 to 30 degrees can happen very fast and is the variable the affects most of use. See below for current temp.

Gulf Breeze, FL
Current Conditions:
As reported at KPNS, Pensacola Arpt..
Last update Sun 18 Feb 2007 7:53 AM CST.

Fair Fair
33F

Feels Like: 22F
UV Index: 1 Low
Wind: From the NNW at 17 mph
Humidity: 56 %
Visibility: 10.00 miles
Barometer: 30.33 inches and Rising

But this is one of the best areas to live...

Old 02-18-2007, 08:41 AM

Beautiful shot Sunrico!!! Yep. It's all worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or