Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:57 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I would move to that area if I were to go back down to FL. I like that area(Melbourne/Palm Bay) I lived there for 5 years of my 15 in FL. I don't care what anyone thinks of Palm Bay/Melbourne/Sebastian/Grant I felt at home there, and really wanted to go back there, but ended up moving back up to my home state(MA). I just moved away from Southwest Florida a few weeks back, that is an area to avoid right now, the economy is horrible there. Yes it is bad everywhere, but Lee and Collier counties are not doing good as far as jobs, unemployment is out of control, foreclosures are the highest in the state. If I go back to FL I will go back to the Melbourne area. I lived in Rockledge too, and liked it there, just stay away from Cocoa, not Cocoa Beach, it's nice beachside, just Cocoa..It's a ghetto. I lived in Orlando(I liked the first year or 2 of it there). I would not go back to Orlando now. I lived in the Daytona area for 2 years(no thanks). I lived in Vero Beach and still like Vero, always will. I lived in Bradenton, it was ok there, I would have liked it better if I lived in Sarasota(Sarasota is great). I lived in Lake Wales for a short time, nice and countryish, but in the middle of nowhere, and has nothing. I also lived in Naples(can't stand it there), and Cape Coral(not bad).

As much as I may have complained about Florida, I do like parts of it, and things about it. I will be back there some day, but in the east central, or north part of it.

Good luck in your ventures, if you choose the Palm Bay area, you will like it.

thank you. We can't wait. We like the areas you have mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:58 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I don't mind living in Florida. This is the place I am raising my children. The people who don't like Florida can leave. What part of the state are you looking to move to? Why are you looking to move to Florida? If you like to live in a place with year round sunshine, and can handle the hurricane season, come on down.

thanks for the invite We are looking into the Brevard County area. Maybe IRC too. Not sure yet.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:53 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
IRC is a good county too, BUT, here is a bit more of my experience there in the Vero Beach area. Vero Beach is good, but do not go to Fort Pierce. That city is worse than Cocoa could ever be. The crime rate is 3.8 times higher than the national average. Also if you see housing priced low in a town called Gifford(just north of Vero Beach) stay away... Not a nice place! I went through there 3 times, and it wasn't a pretty sight. Nor was Fort Pierce.

I say stick with Palm Bay, it's a pretty nice town, I like it there(I said this a few times I think). Are you going to rent first? Or look to buy? I worked at a few of the apartment communities in Palm Bay and Melbourne, I pretty much can tell you which ones NOT to go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
thanks for the invite We are looking into the Brevard County area. Maybe IRC too. Not sure yet.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
From Bean Town, and Cape Cod Ma lived my almost life in Boston. I have been here in Florida-Tampa Bay Area for 10 years. At first, what not to like housing was new, and cheap, jobs were all over.
Come the cold season, walking around in shorts, a winter coat? Then came the year 2004, taxes did go up, and insurance far inland was super high. Somewhat this is for now o.k. work in retirement,
the pay is very low. In the Good Times here people did buy way over the value. However, if you dont enjoy the cold and enjoy lots of sunlight! Florida is not so bad. Beats the heating bill and snow!

Anyway if one need work, there is lots of part-time work for comforts in retirement. Yes, I do like Florida

Old 10-26-2008, 04:01 AM

26 posts, read 116,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I love Florida, I've lived in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Panama City Beach, North Lauderdale and the Redlands.
We now own a condo on Daytona Beach but will not take up permanent residence for about 2 years. People dislike it for several reasons.
If your an average wage earner from some other parts of the country that offer things to do outside at no cost you will most likely be disappointed, more so on the coastline and south Florida. In many parts of the country you can drive a Clunker and no one cares. If you drive one in Florida your just asking to get pulled over regularly. Although much of Florida is very casual it is an upper class of casual. All I'm really driving at is be prepared to proportion your expenses accordingly. Some people are happier being a tourist, enjoy all that Florida has to offer and go back to their own way of life. The ones I've met that disliked Florida most often struggled financially or clashed racially or didn't fit in socially. Florida is about pride and acceptance with a huge "BUT" at the end of that sentence if you know what I mean.
What about N.Fla? Been told its very cold there. Ice,snow etc. Any truth to this.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
Who said that? Once in a while you see flurries up there, not often ice or snow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamaha View Post
What about N.Fla? Been told its very cold there. Ice,snow etc. Any truth to this.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
We are looking at the Brevard County area. Also, Port St.Lucie and Sebastian. We are not in a hurry. Not a retirement situation. We are in our 40's. Friends live in Palm Bay. My husband travels to Florida several times a year. We have both been in the area many times. Winter and summer. We want to know an unbiased opinion concerning a few areas. I have been reading so many negatives. And wonder why they still reside in Florida?
I do agree, if we were living there...Would not be in front of the computer complaining about it. Today it was 48 degrees and we were still outside bbq'ing. Still love Ohio. Still love our home. Just ready to make a new beginning. As I have stated we are not looking for Utopia.
We recently relocated to Oklahoma City and I am a Florida native. Florida can be (in my husbands words) like economic fly paper.It is relatively easy to save enough money to move there. Saving enough to move out when you do not like it can be difficult due to the overall low wages. Like you and your hubby, we needed a new beginning.

We are in Oklahoma City now and so far we really like it.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:15 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,753 times
I have lived in Florida 25 years and I love it here It feels like home to me even thou I was born in the Northeast.

I would never move back up north.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:39 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamaha View Post
Somebody has been leaking information. Naturally cold blooded creatures like gators are attracted to cold climates, frozen orange juice comes from north Florida. It was just a matter of time people.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM

47 posts, read 304,475 times
Listen, Florida can great! it is sooo beautiful, the water and palm trees and vegetation feel like tropics, the weather is awesome! the sunshine is amazing. the animal and natural life is wonderful. there are LOTS of fun things to do in FL even on a budget like beaches, snorkling, learning to surf, hiking in the nature preserves, exploring state parks, fishing, etc. HOWEVER all this lovely stuff depnds on where you are. It is true that FL is at the bottom of the list in education. We live in Lee county - the advantages of lee county are its proximity to the beach, outdoor activity opportunity, lots of greenery, but thats about IT. its a small town type of growing town, onlyone small university here, lots of comm. colleges tho, s afew hospitals, but little culture or community feeling. Very soccer mommy, which is fine if youre into that kind of thing.

I myself recommend the east coast always, although i hear tampa and the bay area are nice but ive never been there. Coming from NY long ago myself, i prefer parts of dade and broward county for the mix of city environment and all that has to offer with incredible nature and beaches and outdoor life.

But people complain about FL because it is very "redneck" in lots of parts (including my own lee county), the education is sub par publicly, jobs are concentrated in few and competitive areas, and cost of living is high if you want a nice city to live in. If you prefer the country and a more simple type life then you just might love the more inland, rural areas. God luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida