U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,396,740 times

Advertisements

I have owned vacation homes in Pigeon Forge, Tenn, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Sunset Beach, Isle of the Palms SC and if we had to do it again it would be in Florida for sure.

As you can tell most have been on the beach.

If I were to buy a vacation home now it would be in the panhandle so I could vacation in Destin/FWB and live in central Florida where we want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 AM

578 posts, read 1,542,670 times
At this point in time what they used to call "Time shares" are a dime a dozen. You can rent or buy them on EBAY. People are cutting back and are selling them left and right or are trying to unload their weeks to avoid paying the maintenence fees. Never has there been a better time to explore a place to vacation. I don't know that much about RCI but there are a lot of places that work with them so no matter where you buy you would be able to exchange weeks.

Don't lock yourself down to one place look around you will be amazed at the deals.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM

10 posts, read 17,228 times
I also am looking to buy a rental/vacation condo on the west coast of Florida. we love golf and want a safe area. How is the Fort Myers area for this? There seems to be a lot to do and a lot of reasonably priced golf. What do you think?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM

136 posts, read 466,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sezipip View Post
Hi,
This is my first attempt at this so please bear with me! I am a recently widowed 49 year old in the UK, and have decided to sell my property here and buy a 3 bed 2 bath with pool probably in Venice, Florida. I have done a lot of research and think after all expenses I can still make at least $10,000 a year renting it. I love golf and can also use it to bring my family and escape the crappy English winter!! I think the American housing market will recover quicker than the UK housing market, so with any luck it will be a sound investment - watch this space!!
Sezipip.

Venice, Fl is a nice area. My mother lives in the area and it is in close proximity to the most beautiful, clean beaches.

I am also looking for a vacation home in Florida. I am looking a several areas, but I am also considering New Tampa and Orlando. I lived in both locations prior to moving out-of-state and both areas are great for entertainment. New Tampa is about 12 miles from the beach (Clearwater) and Orlando is about 30 minutes to Cocoa Beach (not very nice compared to West Coast).

One thing I would check is that you don't buy a home less than a mile near a sex offender. Even if you don't have kids, people may not want to rent a vacation home near one and in resale, I have read that it can bring your sales price down by 4%.

I came across a lot of good deals but then saw they were within .5-.8 mile of a sex offender.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Your safest bet, if you are looking to buy and rental and keep it rented would be as close to the beach as possible. I live on the west coast of Florida and love it here. Try Englewood, Venice or Sarasota-most of the beach rentals stay rented a good portion of the year. The rental company that I deal with says that he can't get enough pool homes to rent. So I would look for a home with a community pool or one that has a private pool. Although some landlords don't want the liability or up keep of a pool.

Another idea would be closer to Disney World. A lot of people visit Florida to go there.

Good luck with your venture!
I believe you should be away from beach as now a days beachs are not safe if it is not sonami or catirna then oil in sea can definatly worst for your health

Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,462,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammaraliqzalbash View Post
I believe you should be away from beach as now a days beachs are not safe if it is not sonami or catirna then oil in sea can definatly worst for your health
Huh?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 7,501 times
I am considering buying a rental home or two in the Florida area. Any input on best areas to consider and also areas to avoid?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM

125 posts, read 241,839 times
For rental purpose and caliber of guest. Destin!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
Default Intersted in Florida Property

New to the research but here are some questions I have if any experienced property owner in FL can assist:
Like to buy a property in Florida
Investment is my first concern. Something well price (value for my money) Something attractive to the rental market for vacationers that could offer a good return.
I have several weeks of vacation annually and would perhaps use it a couple of weeks during summer vacation and a week or so in the spring. Possibly use the property occasionally on Christmas as well

Items I am considering and perhaps there are are others I am not aware of:
Proximity to beach or attractions – preferably walking distance to amenities
Budget would be under 150,000 for an initial purchase. if it works out I may potentially consider another.
Would consider house/condo with community pool or private pool

easily accessible from major airports
Rental potential for about 40 wks. + per year would be desirable
Average weekly return of $700 + depending on the property and the cost investment (house or condo purchased and location) whatever the circumstances I certainly hope to stay in the black with a profit.
Access to cleaning and property management services.
Insurance and taxes. I suspect coastal areas are where most people want to vacation will also have higher insurance rates?
Market Value - if markets improve how significantly higher might property taxes rise??
Market appreciation is also part of a longer term exit plan, but in the right location this could potentially be a longer term ownership for retirement.

Can anyone recommend an investment realtor in the state of Florida?

Last edited by Interested in Florida; 07-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,571,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
At this point in time what they used to call "Time shares" are a dime a dozen. You can rent or buy them on EBAY. People are cutting back and are selling them left and right or are trying to unload their weeks to avoid paying the maintenence fees. Never has there been a better time to explore a place to vacation. I don't know that much about RCI but there are a lot of places that work with them so no matter where you buy you would be able to exchange weeks.

Don't lock yourself down to one place look around you will be amazed at the deals.
This thread is about owning a vacation rental NOT a time share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida