U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:39 AM

177 posts, read 630,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There's a caveat in the article. Read it carefully:

Despite those hurricanes and the much-heralded housing slowdown, Florida took top honors among the states; five of its cities made it into the top 25 this year. Jacksonville came in third, up from No. 8 last year, and Fort Lauderdale moved up from No. 25 to No. 9. While the construction industry isn't generating as many jobs as it was two years ago, tourism is still hot, especially with the dollar weak compared to the euro. But don't pack your bags and move to the Sunshine State just yet. When we redo this survey, we might find that a few Florida cities have dropped off the list. "The economy has shifted a lot in the past year, especially with the housing market cooling down," says Hugo Sellert, an economist and research manager with Monster (nasdaq: MNST - news - people ). He's predicting Florida and Phoenix will weaken, while the Midwest and Texas will start generating more jobs.
I read the caveat that you are quoting but at present, those areas listed are in the top 25 areas for job growth. The discussions on the Florida threads has been about the current job market in Florida. Here we have an article that says that the job market is growing in the area. When next years study is released, you and others may be able to say "I told you so" but right now the study puts the Florida job market in a better light.
This article just shows that the perception held here that the job market is bad is not universally held. As for the post that says the jobs are not paying very well, median household income was one of the equally weighted factors that led to these rankings.
I realize that there are posters here who do not want to believe any good news about Florida but for others, it is helpful to see another perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,371,866 times
Actually, that wasn't the part I was really referring to. What I am getting at is they are saying that service jobs are HOT right now. No kidding. Service jobs are always hot in Florida. Big deal. You can't live on service jobs. And then it goes on to say that construction jobs are down. That is very bad news, since a lot of blue collar people relied on these jobs. So essentially, at first glance, this looks like great news for Florida, when in actuallity it is the same darn stuff we've been saying all along.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Actually, that wasn't the part I was really referring to. What I am getting at is they are saying that service jobs are HOT right now. No kidding. Service jobs are always hot in Florida. Big deal. You can't live on service jobs. And then it goes on to say that construction jobs are down. That is very bad news, since a lot of blue collar people relied on these jobs. So essentially, at first glance, this looks like great news for Florida, when in actuallity it is the same darn stuff we've been saying all along.
I guess that you can either look at the glass as half empty or half full.
The Manpower Employment Outlook Survey cited in the article also shows a little different story than you portray.
They are projecting that there will be strong employment opportunities in the South during the first quarter of 2007 in the following industries:
Construction
Education
Manufacturing- Durable goods
Manufacturing- Non durable goods
Transportation and Public Utilities
Wholesale and retail trade

The service sector is expected to be strongest in the West.
I am not trying to push any agenda. I just find it interesting that two major and well known organizations have done surveys and studies and have come up with information that is different than has been postulated here by many posters.
How is someone trying to find out reliable information about a location supposed to reconcile these differences?
On one hand, we have an impartial business group publishing an article that says the employment prospects in parts of Florida are ranked in the top 25 areas in the country. On the other hand, we have Florida residents who may be extrapolating their experiences and projecting them to the entire state and applying them to every one in Florida.
I am retired and will not be looking for a job but these articles seem to say that the economy of Florida is stronger than the conventional wisdom here.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,811,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
As for the post that says the jobs are not paying very well, median household income was one of the equally weighted factors that led to these rankings.
That would be my post you are referring to. Putting it back into context, I stated:

"Wages are lower than other metropolitan areas, but so much is going on and it is such a beautiful place, has nippy winters that appeal to many, beaches to die for. Violence- yeah, mostly mediocre schools- yeah, but it is easy to be middle class and have a good life and the violence issue is being actively addressed now that everyone is beginning to identify it as "our" problem, not just a problem of the inner city poor. Schools will get better and we have a couple that are excellent (for Florida)."

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 02-19-2007 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,433,175 times
Quote:
I just read an interesting article on AOL Money. Forbes.com has issued a list of the 100 best cities for getting jobs in the US. According to the article, the following cities in Florida are in the top 25. Jacksonville is #3, Orlando is #4 and also in the top 25 are Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota, Tampa and West Palm Beach.
The rankings were based on a number of factors such as, unemployment rates, job growth, median household income and cost of living.
I was surprised because on the Florida threads, we have been told that the job market is terrible, that income is low and the cost of living is high. Apparently Forbes does not see it that way.

Forbes doesn't understand that those jobs are all low paying service industry jobs like waiters, housekeepers, clerks....

Old 02-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Forbes doesn't understand that those jobs are all low paying service industry jobs like waiters, housekeepers, clerks....

I think Forbes understands that but they used median household income and cost of living along with other factors to arrive at their rankings. They used the numbers from at least 6 other industries.
The service sector is only one portion of the equation. I guess if everyone wants to believe that Florida is going to h--l in a handbasket, nobody is going to change their mind. People who are looking for information on the economy, etc. in Florida have a quandary. Do we believe the anonymous posters who say that Florida is horrible or do we believe others that we know who live in Florida who paint a totally different picture? Are we supposed to ignore such respected sources such as Forbes and Manpower because the posters here say otherwise?
I realize that a lot of Florida residents who post here are not happy in Florida, in fact it appears that some actually hate the state that they live in but we are looking for information and we are getting conflicting viewpoints. I have done my research and believe that Florida is going to be a nice fit for my wife and I.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Watsont3: You're retired, so I don't see how any of this would be a concern for you. There are LOTS or retirees that move to Florida and really enjoy it. I think the only way you'll be affected by the low paying jobs is when someone from the service sector waits on you.

It seems that retirees are more concerned about taxes and HOI. You might want to research that, if you haven't already!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:59 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,349,422 times
Quote:
I think Forbes understands that but they used median household income and cost of living along with other factors to arrive at their rankings. They used the numbers from at least 6 other industries.
The service sector is only one portion of the equation. I guess if everyone wants to believe that Florida is going to h--l in a handbasket, nobody is going to change their mind. People who are looking for information on the economy, etc. in Florida have a quandary. Do we believe the anonymous posters who say that Florida is horrible or do we believe others that we know who live in Florida who paint a totally different picture? Are we supposed to ignore such respected sources such as Forbes and Manpower because the posters here say otherwise?
I realize that a lot of Florida residents who post here are not happy in Florida, in fact it appears that some actually hate the state that they live in but we are looking for information and we are getting conflicting viewpoints. I have done my research and believe that Florida is going to be a nice fit for my wife and I.
If you think you will be happy thats all that counts. But keep in mind the numbers are old and you will find alot has changed in just one year. Look at City-Data for that same area.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Watsont3: You're retired, so I don't see how any of this would be a concern for you. There are LOTS or retirees that move to Florida and really enjoy it. I think the only way you'll be affected by the low paying jobs is when someone from the service sector waits on you.

It seems that retirees are more concerned about taxes and HOI. You might want to research that, if you haven't already!

It's a concern because it is a part of the economy of the area. Just because you are retired, you don't put blinders on and ignore what is occurring in the community.
I have researched taxes, HOI, cost of living, traffic, population, weather and just about everything else you can think of. We made a number of visits before we decided where we want to go.
The service sector is not the only one that retirees deal with. We shop, bank, hire tradesmen to work on our homes, we are concerned about police, fire and ems. We buy cars, have our cars worked on, in fact the only thing that we don't have to do anymore is go to work. We spent many years doing that. Retirees contribute to the economy, place no burden on the schools and usually pay their bills quite promptly.
Retirees also volunteer in hospitals, food banks, churches and many other community organizations. Just because you retire doesn't mean you resign from the human race.
Hopefully, the posters here have made provisions for their retirement and will be able to live comfortably. Then maybe they will find out that most retirees are not grouchy old rude people. They are people who just don't or can't go to work anymore.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:24 PM

You are right. That is a concern for you. I was just trying to make you happy!

And most retirees are wonderful people. However, I did see an unusual amount of grouchy retirees in southwest Florida. I think the traffic and lack of good service really got on their nerves. I also think they enjoyed the weather, minus the hurricanes, and being around other retirees.

That is my unbiased opinion, for what it is worth.

I sure hope that you enjoy your retirement wherever you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or