U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:23 PM

177 posts, read 629,176 times

Advertisements

I just read an interesting article on AOL Money. Forbes.com has issued a list of the 100 best cities for getting jobs in the US. According to the article, the following cities in Florida are in the top 25. Jacksonville is #3, Orlando is #4 and also in the top 25 are Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota, Tampa and West Palm Beach.
The rankings were based on a number of factors such as, unemployment rates, job growth, median household income and cost of living.
I was surprised because on the Florida threads, we have been told that the job market is terrible, that income is low and the cost of living is high. Apparently Forbes does not see it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 05:37 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,182,888 times
I guess it's worse in other places

Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
I just read an interesting article on AOL Money. Forbes.com has issued a list of the 100 best cities for getting jobs in the US. According to the article, the following cities in Florida are in the top 25. Jacksonville is #3, Orlando is #4 and also in the top 25 are Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota, Tampa and West Palm Beach.
The rankings were based on a number of factors such as, unemployment rates, job growth, median household income and cost of living.
I was surprised because on the Florida threads, we have been told that the job market is terrible, that income is low and the cost of living is high. Apparently Forbes does not see it that way.
Number one is N.C. Also the report is based on older numbers.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,229,214 times
There's a caveat in the article. Read it carefully:

Despite those hurricanes and the much-heralded housing slowdown, Florida took top honors among the states; five of its cities made it into the top 25 this year. Jacksonville came in third, up from No. 8 last year, and Fort Lauderdale moved up from No. 25 to No. 9. While the construction industry isn't generating as many jobs as it was two years ago, tourism is still hot, especially with the dollar weak compared to the euro. But don't pack your bags and move to the Sunshine State just yet. When we redo this survey, we might find that a few Florida cities have dropped off the list. "The economy has shifted a lot in the past year, especially with the housing market cooling down," says Hugo Sellert, an economist and research manager with Monster (nasdaq: MNST - news - people ). He's predicting Florida and Phoenix will weaken, while the Midwest and Texas will start generating more jobs.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:16 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,132,914 times
There are plenty of jobs here...they are just not very good paying ones from what I have seen.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:23 PM

14 posts, read 60,800 times
I'm moving down from Detroit, which was tied for last with a City that was underwater for a month and lost a huge percentages of it's businesses to the largest Natural Disaster in American History.

good times

Old 02-18-2007, 07:35 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,229,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbowler View Post
I'm moving down from Detroit, which was tied for last with a City that was underwater for a month and lost a huge percentages of it's businesses to the largest Natural Disaster in American History.

good times
I wouldn't discourage someone from Detroit moving ANYWHERE. You have no where to go but up. Good times, indeedy.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:37 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,756,715 times
Default Why Jax is up there on the list

I haven't read the article, but think I know why it ranked so highly.

Jacksonville has a lot of growing to do. Wages are lower than other metropolitan areas, but so much is going on and it is such a beautiful place, has nippy winters that appeal to many, beaches to die for. Violence- yeah, mostly mediocre schools- yeah, but it is easy to be middle class and have a good life and the violence issue is being actively addressed now that everyone is beginning to identify it as "our" problem, not just a problem of the inner city poor. Schools will get better and we have a couple that are excellent (for Florida).

We have a wonderful symphony, lots of diversity in live music, great restaurants, Broadway plays, top notch healthcare, a public library system that is excellent, a beautiful riverfront- check out the downtown skyline at night- killer!

If you read the list of real estate closings in the paper, you'll see many, many names that would indicate that the Bubbas are in for some drastic changes over the next five to ten years.

There is a great swell developing here and this is the time to catch the wave! And, no, I'm not a Realtor, just a mom who made the move a couple of years ago and am glad that I did.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:50 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,132,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I wouldn't discourage someone from Detroit moving ANYWHERE. You have no where to go but up. Good times, indeedy.
I agree. Michigan's economy is hurting badly. You will do much better here than in the Detroit area. Come on down! Go RedWings!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:27 AM

177 posts, read 629,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Number one is N.C. Also the report is based on older numbers.
According to Forbes.com, the article is based on growth data from 2003 to 2006. I don't know how much more current you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or