U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay or Go?
Move back, dude. Life's too short to be away from family 14 56.00%
Stay here if y'all got yuh decent jobs 5 20.00%
Chill, why decide now? 4 16.00%
Other (describe in post) 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM

944 posts, read 3,538,371 times

Advertisements

I'm torn about what I should do. Most of our family and friends live in upstate New York, but my wife and I have decent jobs in Florida. I've asked this before, but I need to put it to a poll. We are starting a family too.

Last edited by Muggy; 10-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM

973 posts, read 1,995,685 times
No one outside you, your family, and your friends can help you make this choice. Me personally, I'm leaving before I get settled with a family.. others love it here. Talk to your family about it.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,981,160 times
Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I'm torn about what I should do. Most of our family and friends live in upstate New York, but my wife and I have decent jobs in Florida. I've asked this before, but I need to put it to a poll. We are starting a family too.
Nothing can replace family. If you are planning on starting a family, all the more reason to be closer to family. Plus, your future children will get a better education in NYS. I don't care if people on this board slam me for that. I have worked in NY schools. I have worked in Florida schools. There is a MAJOR difference.

Jobs are jobs. If you can get a decent one in Florida, you will be able to get a decent one in NY.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:29 PM

557 posts, read 1,634,292 times
Quote:
Move back to your family unless you really really love it here. Family is much more important because once they are gone , it's too late. You don't want to regret not spending time with them.

In my opinion, Florida is no place to raise a family. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,542,117 times
I agree with ucfjtm. It's a decision you really need to make for yourself. I just left FL almost a month ago after deciding I wanted to be closer to the rest of my family. I went with what felt right to me. A poll is ok, it may help you with the decision in some way, but then people will sway your decision because they hate it there, love it there, and think they have the answers for you. What do you feel? Can you deal with the cold? Can you find a job up here? I happened to have gotten a job after being here 4 days, my wife after a week, the economy i stronger here, BUT will that happen for you? Just think about everything, pro's, con's, write them down and think hard about it. Good luck in your decision.

Quote:

Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
write them down and think hard about it

Good advice. We did that a few weeks ago and the only standouts were family and jobs.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,821,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
No one outside you, your family, and your friends can help you make this choice. Me personally, I'm leaving before I get settled with a family.. others love it here. Talk to your family about it.
I totally agree, no one on here can make this decision for this person, as we don't know you. We can only give you are own views from our viewpoints.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 PM

485 posts, read 1,530,919 times
I hear your dilemma. Our family is in the Midwest and we have always lived in LA and Florida. I do miss my family SO much and don't want to regret not being with them if something bad does happen, but I just don't think I could handle winters in Chicago again. Sometimes I feel so shallow choosing weather (although I do love so many other things about CA and FL) over family. I am always torn between two schools of thought - "life is too short to not be around family" and "life is too short not to live where you are happiest." You have to try and decide...does your family make you the happiest? Would cold weather and snow make you completely miserable (as it would me)? This is a tough one, I have struggled with it for YEARS, especially now that my parents are getting up there in age.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Would cold weather and snow make you completely miserable (as it would me)? This is a tough one, I have struggled with it for YEARS, especially now that my parents are getting up there in age.
The weather is a non issue to us.

In addition to our parents aging, we are missing some of life's other milestones like weddings, births, and sometimes funerals. It's sucks to have to check airfares before deciding whether or not we're going to attend a wedding. And being able to go at a moments notice to share in the joy of a birth is not an option from this distance.

Hmmm...

Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,026,116 times
Quote:
The weather is a non issue to us.

In addition to our parents aging, we are missing some of life's other milestones like weddings, births, and sometimes funerals. It's sucks to have to check airfares before deciding whether or not we're going to attend a wedding. And being able to go at a moments notice to share in the joy of a birth is not an option from this distance.

Hmmm...
I believe you just answered your own question. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida