U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people do you think Florida will add between 2010 and 2020
The population will decline. 4 21.05%
Less than 1 million 3 15.79%
Less than 2 million 3 15.79%
Less than 3 million 1 5.26%
More than 3 million 4 21.05%
Dunno 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:52 PM

464 posts, read 1,521,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
We are expecting millions of new Floridians over the next few decades. Where do you think they will live?

I dont see where the Miami-Palm Beach area can take much more...

Population Projections - State Interim Population Projections by Age and Sex: 2004 - 2030
Northern Florida and the Panhandle has tons of room . Thats where im going to move to from the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 04:46 AM

6,567 posts, read 10,637,509 times
Out, then up.

I am referring to geographical spread, on the one hand, and taller buildings on the other.

As mentioned, expansion will first follow the path of least resistance, then up.

Southeastern Florida has provided examples of upward expansion in this most recent boom cycle, just as other regions of Florida have provided examples of outward expansion.

Also as mentioned, the pace is now slowing and will do so over the next couple of years, but there will be another round once the global, national and state economies recover from the excesses of the most recent round (well unless, of course, we tailspin into some kind of decades-long depression and isolationism).

Now is the time to study your hand and play your cards accordingly.

Even after some five hundred years, the Americas are still virgin territory compared to Europe and Asia, and Florida is still relatively virgin territory in the US, and the "only" constraints to further population growth are food and energy supply.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 AM

727 posts, read 1,635,092 times
NE FL is built up now too. Driving along i-95, you will now see subdivision after subdivision... many probably foreclosed. St Augustine and St Johns Co., Palm Coast, all the way up, new house after new house. Its kinda sad.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:15 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,417,259 times
Anyone think the Bay area can handle another half million this coming decade?

Orlando?

Going to be interesting g to see where people end up!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 AM

499 posts, read 1,596,656 times
Wink Don't panic (yet)!

Quote:
We are expecting millions of new Floridians over the next few decades. Where do you think they will live?

Population Projections - State Interim Population Projections by Age and Sex: 2004 - 2030
I'm a Native Floridian and DON'T believe these projections. Florida growth has for the past 4 decades been based on PENSIONERS. Future generations of retirees (including Baby Boomers), can't count on LIVEABLE pensions, 401k's or even Social Security as an option to move to our Sunny Climate!

Aside from Int'l investors (who will seek ONLY cosmo markets), WHAT'S left for the State?

Don't see "doom & gloom" from overpopulation -- I see it from tumbleweeds in dead towns/urban sprawl that are overbuilt and can't sell that are FAR from public transport or town centers!

I also see significant issues with crumbling/outdated infrastructure, education, employment, property taxes and insurance -- compared to "half-back" states.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,226,481 times
I voted for "less than 1 million." My first inclination was "decline in population" but I think that the population will continue to increase (at a pace a TINY BIT faster than people are leaving) from people moving here from Central and Latin America. But part of me still thinks "decline in population" as I know quite a few people that want to move elsewhere in the southeast.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:30 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,158,124 times
Quote:

Florida is a huge stare. The problem is, everybody want to live in the same places. If Florida developed some industry through the state so people had a reason to live somewhere other then the coast it really isn't a problem. Florida can easily take millions new residents, it's a big place. Florida needs more the sunshine to really prosper, we need industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or