Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,122 times

Advertisements

Don't move or at least really think about it..plain and simple. I did and thought it'd be the greatest thing because of the non existent snow and winter..but once reality set in, I hated it. Low paying jobs, very slow economy, and the crime rate. I lived in a nice area and heard police helicopters flying over my city at least once a week. So instead of living there and complaining I moved. Theres good points to Florida, scenery, things to do..and I know people who love it. But its not for everyone..and you should visit Florida and see what day to day life is like before making the switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,565,537 times
I haven't read all the responses, but I've seen this thread pop-up on the unreads enough to think about it. IMO, the single most important issue Florida faces today is the lack of jobs. Over the past two years, I've watched the gap increase considerably between the "haves" and the "have nots." IMO, this economic disparity is fueling some of Florida's problems. Ask your relatives if they've noticed this where they live.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverroses View Post
I lived in a nice area and heard police helicopters flying over my city at least once a week.
That's an oxymoron.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,831,700 times
I live in a nice area of Orlando too, (or perceived as being nice anyway), and I too hear helicopters flying around the area. And probably more than once a week. YIKES!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
I live in a nice area of Orlando too, (or perceived as being nice anyway), and I too hear helicopters flying around the area. And probably more than once a week. YIKES!
I think the only truly "nice" parts of Orange County, save for a few small older/well kept pockets, are Dr. Phillips, Windermere and the Winter Park city limits. One could argue that Lake Nona is nice, but I think I foresee exactly what I foresaw with the Waterford/Avalon area, which ended up being true. Waterford Lakes= Burglar's Paradise.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,738,895 times
When I was in Winter Park off Goldenrod and Aloma, I saw the copters at least once a week back in 1994-1997 when I was there.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Goldenrod and Aloma? I don't really consider that Winter Park. When I say Winter Park, I usually mean the INCORPORATED area of WP, although I know there are tons of areas outside of the city limits that still get considered WP.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,738,895 times
Technically it is, but may as well be Cassleberry, I was 50 yards from Seminole County/Cassleberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Goldenrod and Aloma? I don't consider that Winter Park...

Old 11-09-2008, 09:59 PM

130 posts, read 175,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverroses View Post
Don't move or at least really think about it..plain and simple. I did and thought it'd be the greatest thing because of the non existent snow and winter..but once reality set in, I hated it. Low paying jobs, very slow economy, and the crime rate. I lived in a nice area and heard police helicopters flying over my city at least once a week. So instead of living there and complaining I moved. Theres good points to Florida, scenery, things to do..and I know people who love it. But its not for everyone..and you should visit Florida and see what day to day life is like before making the switch.
I am not moving just for the weather.
We already have great paying jobs lined up and the company will pay for our moving expenses.
There is good and bad in every town, I have lived many places and I can tell you from my experience that when we lived in the south we were so much more happier, at ease, comfortable and always loved to be outside.
I have spend a huge amount of time all over Florida, know it very well enough to stay away from problem areas.
We have spent quite a bit of our vacation time, (not just a week at a time either) in Florida and twice we have spent an entire month with two different members of our families in two different locations in Florida. Loved them both.
If we have not already moved, we are planning on spending all of June and most of July in a rental home in Florida once we narrow the towns down. That way we can see first hand what it is like in the town of our choice.
My parents are looking in the Sarasota area for their future home once they retire and are looking real close right now because of the good buys.
They owned a condo in central Florida for many years and we were lucky enough to spend many vacations there with no expenses other then food, travel, etc.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,169,949 times
your ability to dodge 20 ft snakes and alligators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida