U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 AM

131 posts, read 156,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Born in FL was born there IN FLORIDA, he didn't move to Florida on a whim... Ask the member first, don't assume everything like a few other people on here.

And the part about taking a ride around Cleveland and seeing a rathole, infested with crime, drugs, gangs and bums, then you have CLEARLY not been to Tampa before.

I left there after 15 years simply because of the economy, well it had a bit to do with the heat, and if I had a decent job there, or if there were any in my type of work not in Orlando, Tampa, Naples, or Miami where I refuse to live(a few parts of OUTER Miami are nice) I would still be there. When the economy was good, I was content there for the most part. I made the mistake of moving to SWFL. When I return I will go to the Melbourne area again, Vero Beach is another place I liked a lot, I was there for 3 years.

I don't hate Florida, never said I did... well I may have when I was having a bad day possibly. I will be there again.
Yes I have been in Tampa quite a bit, one of the family members we stayed with for a month and a half lives in Tampa. We have seen this but it does not compare to Cleveland Oh in any way. Cleveland is the new East St Louis, an area that you just need to avoid at all cost.

By the way, I like the Melbourne area too. Seems Vero Beach is a place to put on my short list as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 AM

3,926 posts, read 10,315,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post
We won't need jobs, we have them already lined up.

Schools and kids safety is priority 1 and I think we can get that covered as well. If I need to home school or private school them we will.
My kids do not leave my yard unless one of us are with them anyway.
Just what we have taught them, they do not run the streets or walk 4 blocks away to go play, we just do not allow them to.
Yet we seem to get kids from 5-6 blocks away or other neighborhoods here and there parents have no clue where they are. Heck we have to make them go home on school nights. This is just bad parenting.

I am looking at some of the crimes in the Tampa area, one was a 12 year girl kidnapped from a mall, why on earth would any parent allow a 12 year old to spend a day at a mall is beyond me, they are asking for trouble and the parents should be arrested for allowing this. No 12 year old should be left at the mall on their own for any reason.

My kids will be at home where they belong, not roaming the streets.
If everyone took the time to look into the crimes you will see that most crimes committed on kids are the parents fault for not doing their jobs!

Reading back through many posting because I am shocked that so many people are so negative, I found that 2 years ago on here that crime was the reason not to move, then last year or so all that was discussed was hurricanes, do not come here because of the hurricanes. Now that they are at record low numbers, now it has moved over the the sex offenders as the main problem.

I read that someone who moved to Florida hated every minute of it and ending up in Asheville, NC. Well, if you love Asheville NC then you had NO business living in Florida and should have never moved to Florida in the first place. I know Asheville and there is not one town in Florida like it, slow laid back that is controlled by the Biltmore owners.

So maybe I should ask why are you leaving Florida and why on earth did you move their in the first place?

Or how can anyone ever be stuck in a place they do not like? If it were me I would not be stuck anywhere I did not like, if I did not have the money to move I would work 3-4 jobs and get the money but I surely would not be stuck no way no how.

I do not like it here and want to go back south, we are not stuck here but living in the south and moving here we found this is not for us.
We have lived in many places and everyone has their own likes but wow, if I hated Florida as bad as some of you I would not be sitting on a computer typing all day long, I would be finding way to leave.

We are in no hurry, I would not move my kids in the middle of a school year anyway, but man, seems that Florida is about ready to be cleared out with all the unhappy people.

One of my family members who lives in Florida told me that people were just spoiled rotten in Florida, properties were tripling, wages were going up, people got themselves in debt over their heads with investments etc and now that the entire country is in a mess they are sour about it.

I am just amazed that so many people seem to be depressed about living in Florida and are not doing anything about it.

For Muggy, drive through Cleveland Ohio, if you want a sandwhich I assure you that you will want to go hungry once you see it. The town is a rathole infested with drugs, crime, gangs and bums. You cannot even go to an Indians game without thinking you might not get to your car alive.

I am just totally blown away that so many people have made huge mistakes in moving to Florida and now hate it. Assuming that most of the negative posters have done just that because if it is that bad I am sure the lifelong Florida people are already gone by now..

Reading many of these post seems people are running out of Florida by the car loads.
I'm not sure what I said to warrant this response. You said in your original post that you already have a job, but you wanted to know the most important thing effecting Florida right now and I answered literally. You have a job, I have a job, as do most of the people I know. My point was that the jobless are aiding to the economic disparity in Florida and if you think this doesn't impact all of us living here, you should look around.

And I have no plans to leave, nowhere in my response did I say I don't like it here, and I thought I was being factual...not negative. We enjoy our Florida lifestyle, but we're not living it in a vacuum either.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-10-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 PM

727 posts, read 1,637,565 times
"I read that someone who moved to Florida hated every minute of it and ending up in Asheville, NC. Well, if you love Asheville NC then you had NO business living in Florida and should have never moved to Florida in the first place. I know Asheville and there is not one town in Florida like it, slow laid back that is controlled by the Biltmore owners.

So maybe I should ask why are you leaving Florida and why on earth did you move their in the first place?"

Are you talking to me? I have lived in both places. But not sure if you are talking to me or not.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Where I am
Columbus, Ohio

1828 Sex Offenders
118 Unmappable

Where you are
St. Pete Florida
758 Sex Offenders
74 Unmappable

1,000 more weirdos in Col. Ohio then St. Pete Florida.

Big difference in population too. Look at it on a per capita basis.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I love the 3 years (so far) that we've been living in Florida. It is my new home and I feel safe here. As you can tell from some of the posters, you either accept their reality or forget it. I'd have to say the single, most important issue about Florida is the pig-headedness down here. Or let me put it this way... if a Floridian is happy then they're not all over these boards trying to poke holes in other people's dreams. What you're reading are posts from folks who'd be miserable wherever they plunked themselves down.

a few differences... you are in vero bch. that's a nice area. many of us are in orlando or south fla, which are differerent.

also, i am a native floridian, and i can say as someone who has been in fla for yrs, FL HAS CHANGED. A LOT!!! what we love or really liked as natives in gone, many of our neighbors are gone, and have been replaced by malcontents and rude, abrassive folks. not all of course, but a lot.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 PM

"If Orlando is a cess pool then it looks pretty darn good compared to Cleveland, Philly, NY, Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis etc. Orlando is crime free compared to those towns."

Besides stating wrong information that supposedly came out of my mouth (which I never said in the first place), this is the least correct information (above) I have seen on this thread. Orlando has a major crime issue. You need to dig deeper and research more before assuming otherwise. Does Orlando have less crime (per capita) than some of these cities? Probably. But nowhere near crime free compared to them. I do wish you luck though. Look into Vero Bch., nice place.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,348,901 times
Orlando does have a high per capita crime rate, I`m sure after this year it will be ranked up at the top of most crime ridden cities, however most of this violent crime is concentrated around OBT, Pine hills and Holden heights areas.

Like many cities if you stay clear of these areas especially at night you should be fine, I have lived here 25 years and nothing (knock on wood) really has happened to me or any of my family.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM

"Orlando does have a high per capita crime rate, I`m sure after this year it will be ranked up at the top of most crime ridden cities"

^^^ After the end of the yr, it will be interesting to see where we stand. We are already tied (as of last week, I am sure ppl were murdered over the weekend, sadly) 2006 murders. So by the end of the yr, we will probably have beaten that record. We were ranked 7th most dangerous city that yr, so it will be interesting. (actually SAD.)

Old 11-10-2008, 06:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,748,430 times
Default Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007

Orlando is the number 11 most dangerous city in America. Philadelphia was number 21 and Baltimore was number 12.

Maybe you should check out this link:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,719,333 times
Quote:
Yes I have been in Tampa quite a bit, one of the family members we stayed with for a month and a half lives in Tampa. We have seen this but it does not compare to Cleveland Oh in any way. Cleveland is the new East St Louis, an area that you just need to avoid at all cost.
I actually like Cleveland . . . Although I was raised in Florida, I was born in Cleveland, I still have relatives there, and I've visited there a lot--including in the last year. I wouldn't hesitate to move there for awhile if I had a good job opportunity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or