U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,718,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
a few differences... you are in vero bch. that's a nice area. many of us are in orlando or south fla, which are differerent.

also, i am a native floridian, and i can say as someone who has been in fla for yrs, FL HAS CHANGED. A LOT!!! what we love or really liked as natives in gone, many of our neighbors are gone, and have been replaced by malcontents and rude, abrassive folks. not all of course, but a lot.
On the other hand, some of us like the changes a lot--that was actually a factor in making it attractive to me to move back, and we don't all agree that the average person we run into is less friendly than they used to be. <shrug>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,637,425 times
the less friendly = present day florida
the more friendly = old florida

^^^i bet any native will agree. every place changes, but i dont know a place that has changed as drastically as florida has. the average person in florida is less friendly, i know some ppl wont agree, but for those of you who were here back in the "old florida" days, we didnt have a "rude/abbrassive/dog eat dog" type vibe here in florida. go to other parts of the southeast, and ask folks what they think about floridians. we get a bad rap (natives) even though 9 out of 10 times, we are noth the ones that are rude and inconsiderate, but we all get lumped into one big group because we reside in florida.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:45 PM

710 posts, read 1,990,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Orlando is the number 11 most dangerous city in America. Philadelphia was number 21 and Baltimore was number 12.

Maybe you should check out this link:

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 &mdash; Infoplease.com
Phew -- good thing I live in Miami where it's safer (although I guess I'm paying for it by having to live with all the rude and inconsiderate people).

5 of 25 in the gentle South + 1 in Fla & 3 in Missouri!

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-11-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 PM

710 posts, read 1,990,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
On the other hand, some of us like the changes a lot--that was actually a factor in making it attractive to me to move back, and we don't all agree that the average person we run into is less friendly than they used to be. <shrug>
We agree -- DW was born and raised in Miami, I was technically born here but spent first 8 years in NY/NJ before moving down to western Broward.
We would NEVER have moved to Miami if it was like it was in the early 70s. Just not for us -- we find it FAR more interesting now.

And some of those "Ol' Flarda Southerners" that were our neighbors when we first moved down? Some of them (certainly not all) were some of the nastiest people we ever lived around anywhere in the country.
Good riddance to them.

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-11-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,860,679 times
You can post the maps filled with sex offenders all you want but my research says otherwise. I'm now living in Paw Paw, MI and the stats say that for every 65 folks in this town, 1 of them is a sex offender. My hometown of Clearwater, FL for every 363 people, 1 is a sex offender. It's interesting that here,churches(must be at least 20 of them) far outnumber bars(3 or 4 in town), this is conservative Michigan. Heck,maybe they should close a few churches, open up a couple nude bars and xxx movie outlets and get that awful offender ratio down up here.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Phew -- good thing I live in Miami where it's safer (although I guess I'm paying for it by having to live with all the rude and inconsiderate people).

5 of 25 in the gentle South + 1 in Fla & 3 in Missouri!

The ppl in Orlando can be as rude as the ones in Miami, believe it or not!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:24 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,718,938 times
Quote:
the less friendly = present day florida
the more friendly = old florida . . . ^^^i bet any native will agree.
Nah . . . first, you have to remember that "native" just means that someone was born there, it doesn't mean that they were in Florida 50 years ago. My 19-year old niece is a native but wouldn't agree that Florida is less friendly now than when she was a kid. I've lived in Florida much longer than she has and started living in Florida almost 40 years ago--I just didn't happen to be born in Florida, and I don't agree with that either.
Quote:
I dont know a place that has changed as drastically as florida has.
Out of the few places that I've known well over long periods of time, I certainly agree with that, but I like Florida's changes.
Quote:
for those of you who were here back in the "old florida" days
So I guess that had to be much longer than 40 years ago--are you talking about maybe 60 or 70 years ago?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,787,406 times
Quote:
The ppl in Orlando can be as rude as the ones in Miami, believe it or not!
No, not in North Carolina though!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,535,602 times
Florida is a LOT different than when I first got there in 1994...

Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
No, not in North Carolina though!
I know, you dont have to convince anyone of that. You know it and I know it too.

Wasnt there a shooting at a school in Broward Co today, Compelled? Probably happened in NC today too, huh? How much more senseless violence in S FL schools are we gonna see? I pray for the girls' family. A girl shot by another teenage girl. So, so sad.

Last edited by BornInFL; 11-12-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or