U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:50 AM

6,632 posts, read 10,688,676 times

Advertisements

1. Source and quantity of income

2. a. Property taxes and b. insurance (assuming you own property)

3. Risk of hurricane and flood (see point 2.b.)

4) Quality of education (if you have children). But I would be worried about that anywhere.

As for the climate, you should know what you're getting into, and if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 AM

10,110 posts, read 509,873 times
We, also are planning a move to Florida and I get all different reactions when I tell people of our plans. People mostly say that the weather will be hot and that there is very little season change...., and to that I reply, yes, I know that and that is just what I am looking for. At almost 50 yrs of age, if I don't know what the Hell I like & don't like by now then I have got a big Problem....haha! I have heard the Education card played too and I am not sure it is all that important to push young kids the way they do here in NY... to the point where they have perpetual Homework 24/7.... Alittle slower paced acedemics might be a nice change for my daughter and for us as well. Wages & Salaries for my profession are pretty much the same so that is not a concern. It depends on what kind of work you do. If you have no education, I can see where it might be an issue. Some people mention the BUGS... but again I don't think that would be an obstacle. I'll take the bugs over shoveling snow any day. Christmas.... I don't like it anyway and would probably like it a whole lot more if it were 80 degrees and I could go to the Beach. The thought of a long hot summer in shorts and sandles is more appealing than standing in 2 feet of snow when I can't feel my fingers or toes while attempting to shovel the driveway and keep the pipes in the house from freezing. Hey I don't know about you... but it's a No Brainer for me. I think that you just have to pick an area, visit & do a lot of research. There will always be aspects that you will not like and things you will have to give up. I just look at everything as an adventure and find something to Look forward to. Are you a positive person and can make the best of any situation? Any move needs an adjustment period.....And Remember.... When it comes to Opinions...ya'no what they say....Opinions are like ***holes... everybody has one. Follow your instincts

Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,720,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeebug59 View Post
I reply, yes, I know that and that is just what I am looking for. At almost 50 yrs of age, if I don't know what the Hell I like & don't like by now then I have got a big Problem....haha!
I certainly agree with that.

I find that the problem often seems to be that many folks (as bizarre as this is to me) have difficulty understanding that different people like very different things. Sometimes--especially when it comes to things like tastes in the arts, for example--people are that way so strongly that they come to believe that their personal tastes are simply facts instead, and so folks with different tastes do not have different tastes, they're merely wrong. Absurd, but it happens all the time.
Quote:
Some people mention the BUGS...
And as if some places in the world have no bugs or other pests, lol.
Quote:
I think that you just have to pick an area, visit & do a lot of research. There will always be aspects that you will not like and things you will have to give up. I just look at everything as an adventure and find something to Look forward to. Are you a positive person and can make the best of any situation?
One can't give better advice than that.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 AM

436 posts, read 1,213,882 times
"... but it's a No Brainer for me. I think that you just have to pick an area, visit & do a lot of research. There will always be aspects that you will not like and things you will have to give up. I just look at everything as an adventure and find something to Look forward to. Are you a positive person and can make the best of any situation? Any move needs an adjustment period.....And Remember.... When it comes to Opinions...ya'no what they say....Opinions are like ***holes... everybody has one. Follow your instincts"

That's the best advice to give anyone and especially the best advice you can give to yourself. Research, research, and then more research. Florida is a big state that varies from place to place. Make a list of your top priorities of must haves. For example, if you have children, education would be at the top of your list, then do the research on the best counties for schools, etc. Even climate varies greatly in Florida. Not all of Florida is hot, hot , hot as some would like you to believe. When I first was relocating here, and I found City-Data for information, some of the negatives scared me to death. But to my pleasant surprise, I found none of them to be true for me. I did my research, visited as often as I could, talked to the actual locals of the area, and followed my list of must-haves. It worked for me. Good luck in finding your new home.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,929,958 times
Having had to move to cities, even another country because that was where the job was several times and lived around ppl who hated where they were, had to stay for 2 years before they could move back to the US, then they were the first ones who wanted to come back to the place they spent 2 years hating. My advice is this 'Look for the good things around you, the bad things show up soon enough'

You may love the weather but not like the traffic but if you focus on the things you like you won't mind the traffic nearly as much. If you focus on hating the traffic, you will never find all the good things you can do in great weather.

Only you can decide if FL is right for you. Tampa Bay is a nice area as is the Panhandle. It all depends on what is important to you.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,434,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post
So what question should someone looking around the state of Florida should be asking or looking into?
What is of importance to you may mean very little to me & vice versa.

We were a young family and our needs were & are completely different than empty nesters or those who do not have children.

Everyone's needs, likes & dislikes are different.

But, to literally answer the question based on this time in our life...family friendly areas with decent schools.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,984,338 times
1. Education (Our daughter's in private as the public is horrendous)

2. Property taxes (we already knew this, but they are quite high here, but there's no state income tax)

Basically both those boil down to $$$. If you can afford it, its a great place to live! Other than those 2 things, we find things are no more expensive here than anywhere else. I mean, come on, everywhere I've lived has had traffic! Some places much worse! Many places are hot in the summer, and winters here are lovely! We are very happy we moved.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM

944 posts, read 3,537,879 times
The most important question: do you have kids (younger than 18) or not? If you have any children under the age of 18 you should not move to Florida.

It's that simple.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM

15,211 posts, read 31,183,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
The most important question: do you have kids (younger than 18) or not? If you have any children under the age of 18 you should not move to Florida.

It's that simple.
Why not? I think you should explain your statement.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM

557 posts, read 1,633,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post

It's that simple.
So very true. Between the poor schools and sex offenders everywhere, it's just not a nice place for children. Here's 2 helpful links : FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators and National Sex Offender Registry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or