U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbiscuitz View Post
Well, I probably would still be thinking the same thing if I didn't live here now. But this really isn't the case. Once your body adjusts to the heat, 55 degrees in winter IS cold. It took me a month to get used to the house being below 75 to the point where I wasn't shivering. Shivering at 75?!!! Yup. Today it is 71 in the house and I am in a sweater and long pants, with cold feet. Sounds silly, but from April to October, it's averaging about 77 or 78 inside the house... which sounds unbearable to some people, but is pretty cool when it's 98 degrees outside.

When I moved down here I got rid of almost all my winter things. I have maybe two sweatshirts, two sweaters and a couple jackets. I'm glad I kept what I did!

But you are able to count on it being sunny most of the time. Plus the cold weather is hard on arthritis, so that's probably why some old folks like it. Another thing is that family are more likely to visit you in the winter months if it's warm where you are versus if you keep living in Minnesota and they live somewhere in the middle of the country... most people don't want to fly/drive to Minnesota in the middle of Nov or Dec, but Florida - maybe!
It was 58 this morning, still dark out, and I sat outside in my flannel pj's. Cold doesn't bother me, except AC that is kept too low. That is artificial cold and there is a difference. Now when it is 80+ I put the air on about 76. Otherwise I leave all the doors open, day and night. I have YET to find it outright cold, even those few times in early morning when it was in the high 40s. I just wore a light weight jacket, which I took off about Noon when it warms up anyway.

I went back to NY in October and November because I wanted Fall weather. I am going back in January because I want winter weather. In fact, I am sorry I got rid of all my really heavy clothes and jackets. I had to now go out and buy a down jacket. I guess I just wasn't thinking straight. Like I was NEVER going to go back to NY? I didn't come here to run away from the cold, so I have no desire to go back to NY in the summer. Why? For more summer?

My younger daughter has been coming here every Christmas and Winter Break. Next, year she said she wants to stay in NY, where it is COLD, for Christmas. We will probably go there, which is fine with me. I, too, want a COLD Christmas. My daughter isn't coming here now for winter break either. It does get "old" all these warm holidays after a while. This time she didn't even bring a swim suit when she came. She didn't go to the beach or the pool. It was well into the 80s and it was just so HOT outside we mostly stayed inside her whole time here.

I guess we are all different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
Wink me too......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I've been in Florida my entire life. I've gotten used to the crowds, the traffic, the crime, the crummy schools, the corrupt politicians, the apathy, the boorish behavior, and the ever present con men. Did I mention the traffic? What I cannot get use to is the nine months of oppressive summer weather. I might have reverse SAD or something like it, but to me the constant heat and sunshine (and I do mean constant) totally depresses me. I need the cold, blustry weather to feel alive. Of course,I have to work outside every day, so if all someone has to do is dash from their air conditioned car to their air conditioned office, they might have a different opinion of the heat.
I said the same things...... lived in The City Beautiful for 40 years and needed a change so I moved 3,000 miles to the PNW Four real seasons and awesome natural beauty! Well, now that I'm 70 years old - I kinda miss the warm winters, the balmy ocean breeze and I tend to forget the monsoon rains, the rude people, the mosquitoes, the roaches, the insufferable heat/humidity, the traffic, road rage OMG...... I'm even thinking of moving back to Florida

Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM

15,214 posts, read 31,190,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I said the same things...... lived in The City Beautiful for 40 years and needed a change so I moved 3,000 miles to the PNW Four real seasons and awesome natural beauty! Well, now that I'm 70 years old - I kinda miss the warm winters, the balmy ocean breeze and I tend to forget the monsoon rains, the rude people, the mosquitoes, the roaches, the insufferable heat/humidity, the traffic, road rage OMG...... I'm even thinking of moving back to Florida
Come on back, ConeyIsBabe! I'm a native, we just moved back to sunny Sarasota where we used to live - it is paradise here! We are two blocks from the bay, and every day I get to smell that fresh, salty sea-breeze - which helps to blow away the summer mosquitoes, I might add! Also, while it's true some years we get monsoon rains, we have been in a dry spell the last few with lower than normal humidity. People here are happy and friendly, there is very little "road rage" - people smile at us in the grocery store, and tonight a lady even let me in front of her in line.

I know what you mean about warm winters for the aches and pains - I have never wanted to live where it gets colder than here; I have spinal problems and some arthritis and cold wet weather makes me feel miserable. Plus, I just like beautiful, sunny days (I love to garden).

I know it's not for everyone, but it is for me. For a half second we almost thought we would move to Asheville, NC - a beautiful place for sure, but too cold and too hilly for me with my problems. We love it here and never plan to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or