Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,026,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I would not "throw caution to the wind" if the current economic climate were similar or worse than in the early nineties, especially if one has a family deeply dependent upon stability. Many will site history as a basis for future actions. If that be the case, what will history tell us to do with an unstable economy entering the historical stock market downfall that traditionally follows an election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM

558 posts, read 1,830,678 times
Quote:
But I've been around long enough to know that some folks (which doesn't mean I'm specifying anyone here before anyone gets all defensive) actually like to complain. They do not really want change that badly; they'd rather have a situation to complain about.
Yes we just love spending time here complaining . Our purpose here is to help people know the truth before relocating to an area , good or bad. Most of my posts are positive except when people ask for the truth on Florida. I know they already have their minds made up and nothing will change it. They really only want to read posts from people who tell them what they want to hear.

I didn't just move here with $5 in my pocket with a hope and a prayer. I researched, planned, and saved for well over 5 years before finally taking the plunge. It was a huge mistake and I have only myself to blame. I should have stayed in PA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I won't go on about the schools. It has been discussed endlessly before and by posters who also work in the school system and have come from various other places. We all say the same thing. Nobody ever believes us.

So be it.
They'll find out soon enough. By then it will be too late .

Questions to ask yourself before moving to Florida

1) Am I putting the interests of my family first?
2) If I lose my job will I be able to find another one that pays well?
3) How long are the private schools waiting lists?
4) Can I handle the ungodly humidity?
5) Do I want to move to a state filled with sex offenders?
6) Do I know what MY property taxes will be ? [not the previous owners]
7) Do I want to deal with Hurricanes?
8) Do I want a high cost of living?
9) Can I handle the influx of snowbirds every winter?
10) Do I want to pay high insurance premiums?
11) Do I want to live in a transient state where I will never know who my NEW neighbors will be?
12) Do I enjoy rude people?
13) Will I miss my family and friends back home?
14) Do I like sharing my home with giant cockroaches after it rains?
15) Do I like living in a drug infested state?
16) etc,etc,etc, I could go on and on !

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 11-04-2008 at 09:14 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,343,227 times
We've been here for 3 years and love it. You will love it too. Every unhappy SOB on this forum wants to shove their problems down a newcomers throat and tell them it's reality. Reality is different for everyone. In my reality, traffic is a joke compared to where we came from. The heat is no worse than Iowa or Wisconsin in the summer. Crime, etc??? I'm feeling pretty safe where I am. Come down and make your own reality.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,343,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post

So what question should someone looking around the state of Florida should be asking or looking into?
I'm sorry I neglected your original question. If you're moving near a coast, either one, make sure your home has been built fairly recently and meets the latest hurricane codes. This will help you with HO insurance costs and it might mean your roof will still be attached down the road.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,140,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
We've been here for 3 years and love it. You will love it too. Every unhappy SOB on this forum wants to shove their problems down a newcomers throat and tell them it's reality.
There is also a strange inability in many cases to discern opinions from facts. People claim all kinds of things as facts that are not facts at all. They're subjective assessments. Ironically, the inability to make the fact/opinion distinction often comes from folks who went to school somewhere other than Florida and who also complain about quality of Florida schools, lol.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 PM

17,486 posts, read 38,941,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
We've been here for 3 years and love it. You will love it too. Every unhappy SOB on this forum wants to shove their problems down a newcomers throat and tell them it's reality. Reality is different for everyone. In my reality, traffic is a joke compared to where we came from. The heat is no worse than Iowa or Wisconsin in the summer. Crime, etc??? I'm feeling pretty safe where I am. Come down and make your own reality.
Great post - I 100% agree!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,869,619 times
Quote:
Oh, then the ranking criteria must not be problematic.

Well, I'm a teacher and I notice these things, so I have a valid opinion.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well, I'm a teacher and I notice these things, so I have a valid opinion.
I would agree that your opinion is not invalid as an opinion.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,619,363 times
Default State Cirriculums

Quote:
I would agree that your opinion is not invalid as an opinion.
I have worked in a 1st grade classroom on LI. I have worked in a 1st grade classroom in Florida. The cirriculum in Florida is one year behind, at least in the primary grades. I have not worked in Middle or HS level in the state of Florida so I cannot comment on those. I will let others address that. The States mandate what is taught in each grade level. That is subjective?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I have worked in a 1st grade classroom on LI. I have worked in a 1st grade classroom in Florida. The cirriculum in Florida is one year behind, at least in the primary grades. I have not worked in Middle or HS level in the state of Florida so I cannot comment on those. I will let others address that. The States mandate what is taught in each grade level. That is subjective?
If you want to debate school criteria, I might participate for awhile, but we should do it in an appropriate arena, not this thread. Are you interested?

I've already got the links to the curricula of Florida and NY State ready to go for you, by the way--you can begin preparing your excuses.

Last edited by Tungsten_Udder; 11-04-2008 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida