Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Florida is a LOT different than when I first got there in 1994...

BINGO!!!! Tungsten, it WAS a lot different in Fl just 10 yrs or so ago. You like the changes, good for you. I am guessing you are probably from NY or NJ. But many of us dont like the changes, thus the huge number of Floridians leaving and/or trying to. If things hadnt changed for the worse, you wouldnt see many of us leaving.

And when I lived in S FL, we all knew eachother, waived to eachother and many of us probably kept our car doors unlocked. NOT the case anymore, ppl arent as friendly, and sometimes if I wave, I get a weird look. LOL. That aint Old Florida, I can guarantee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
How much more senseless violence in S FL schools are we gonna see?
"This does appear to be an incident connected to a dispute between both of them," Sousa said.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Did a girl get shot today? Yes. Am I suprised it happened in S FL? No.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
I definitley would not have left if the economy there was not so crappy. i was actually looking to go back to the Melbourne area, same issue as SWFL, no jobs in my career type.

Quote:
BINGO!!!! Tungsten, it WAS a lot different in Fl just 10 yrs or so ago. You like the changes, good for you. I am guessing you are probably from NY or NJ. But many of us dont like the changes, thus the huge number of Floridians leaving and/or trying to. If things hadnt changed for the worse, you wouldnt see many of us leaving.

And when I lived in S FL, we all knew eachother, waived to eachother and many of us probably kept our car doors unlocked. NOT the case anymore, ppl arent as friendly, and sometimes if I wave, I get a weird look. LOL. That aint Old Florida, I can guarantee!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:56 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times
Quote:
Wasnt there a shooting at a school in Broward Co today, Compelled? Probably happened in NC today too, huh?
The following are major school shooting incidents in the United States over the past 10 years:
FOXNews.com - FOX Facts: Major U.S. School Shootings - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

2 in North Carolina, 1 in Florida (Lake Worth) on THIS list.

Senseless, random violence happens everywhere in spite of what you've seemed to convince yourself and try to convince others of.

Next year they'll have to add this incident -- we'll be tied!!

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-13-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
The following are major school shooting incidents in the United States over the past 10 years:
FOXNews.com - FOX Facts: Major U.S. School Shootings - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Senseless, random violence happens everywhere in spite of what you've convinced yourself of.

I believe BornInFL was referring to the non stop stories that seem to always come out of Florida .....................

school shooting.........
FOXNews.com - Students Gather for Impromptu Memorial Service for Florida School Shooting Victim - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Florida student accused of plotting school shooting | Gainesville.com | The Gainesville Sun | Gainesville, FL

teacher sex scandals........
Teacher Smackdown » Florida

3 Female Teachers Charged With Having Sex With Students - Local News Story - WTVJ | Miami

Female Teacher Drugs And Sexually Abuses Male Students // Current

video taped beating...........
Hearings Set in Teen Beating Case | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

corrupt cops..........
Police Officer, Wife Arrested On Federal Weapons, Drug Charges - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Officer Arrested Over Alleged Compensation From Auto Dealership - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Why didn't Polk Co. Sheriff's Office investigate deputy's role in crash? - St. Petersburg Times

Pasco: Cop works in shadow of doubt

Florida Police Offices Charged With Drunk Driving - New Port Richey DUI Lawyers | Drunk Driving DUI Law

I'm too lazy to post all the stories and links but you get the point .............

Old 11-13-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
I'm too lazy to post all the stories and links but you get the point .............
No, sorry but I don't.
Florida has crime? Is that the point?
Other places don't? Is THAT the point?
Florida has "weird" crimes? OK, maybe that one.

Instead of cherrypicking what you want to see, I'll go by crime statistics to tell me, in general, what kind of crime goes on in an area, thank you very much.
STATISTICALLY, crime is no worse in most of Florida than most (not all) of the US. Many parts of Florida are a little higher, some lower, some have very little crime, some are on lists for 25 cities with most violent crime (Orlando but not Miami!?).

I don't base my opinions on "headlines" or what some random poster says on some random board or what "everyone" in North Carolina supposedely says or even what happened to me ONE time. I'll stick with crime statisitics to make an educated opinion.

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-13-2008 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Senseless, random violence happens everywhere in spite of what you've seemed to convince yourself and try to convince others of.

Yup. NC crime is much higher and NC schools are not as safe as S. Florida's. I believe it.

One of the incidents in NC was a suicide, not shooting another student.

Oh, there was a Hispanic kid in Miami that killed another kid in the boathroom or a hallway like a few months ago.

And the kid that stabbed the other kid in the neck, killing him (in Orlando) in 2006? That article you pointed out is missing a lot of incidents.

and from 2005...
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A teenage girl suspected of shooting a classmate on a school bus Tuesday morning has turned herself in to Miramar, Florida police, a spokesman said.

and another in S FL... http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2002/01/18/story36871.asp (broken link)

that was just by doing a quick search.

Last edited by BornInFL; 11-13-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Yup. NC crime is much higher and NC schools are not as safe as S. Florida's. I believe it.

One of the incidents in NC was a suicide, not shooting another student. Oh, there was a Hispanic kid in Miami that killed another kid in the boathroom or a hallway like a few months ago. And the kid that stabbed the other kid in the neck, killing him in Orlando in 2006? That article you pointed out is missing a lot of incidents.
At that article didn't miss any incidents in NC? Just Florida?
I don't think Fox News has an ax to grind and is looking to make Florida "look good." Do you?

Here's a few from NC that they missed too:
Teen Stabbed on Durham School Bus
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2758749/
Teen, teacher hurt in knife fight at North Gaston High School
http://[domain blocked due to spam]/city/dall...K33VNUMFDAO52E

The point is that random violence in schools is just that, RANDOM. It happens EVERYWHERE. That's what random means. Remember the worst case? Columbine? In one of the nicest suburbs of one of the safest big cities, Denver.

ABSOLUTELY crime is higher in the STATE of Florida than most places including the STATE of N Carolina. If crime is your ONLY reason to or not to move someplace, almost ANYWHERE in Florida is probably not a good choice.
But, as I've proven to you before, specific cities within NC have statistically just as high a crime rate as most cities in Fla. Those are FACTS.

Florida has almost exactly double the number of students than NC -- I'd expect there to be more school violence incidents (roughly, uh, double). But pointing at ONE incident just doesn't have any kind of statistical basis or "proves" anything.

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-13-2008 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 04:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
At that article didn't miss any incidents in NC? Just Florida?
I don't think Fox News has an ax to grind and is looking to make Florida "look good." Do you?

The point is that random violence in schools is just that, RANDOM. It happens EVERYWHERE. That's what random means. Remember the worst case? Columbine? In one of the nicest suburbs of one of the safest big cities, Denver.

ABSOLUTELY crime is higher in the STATE of Florida than most places including the STATE of N Carolina.
But, as I've proven to you before, specific cities within NC have statistically just as high a crime rate as most cities in Fla. Those are FACTS.

Pointing at ONE incident just doesn't have any kind of statistical basis.
I think he is suggesting it would of been ok if it didn't happen in Miami and the shooter wasn't Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida