Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM

130 posts, read 175,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with this. I also want to say (if you haven't already read many of my posts here on this forum) that I am a Florida native, and my hubby and I LOVE it here - and yes, although we work, it feels like a vacation year round. My hubby is from the midwest and also grew up in Europe, and traveled all over - there is NO WHERE ELSE he would rather live. There is not a DAY that goes by that we don't say how lucky we are to live here, and I tell him all the time I can't understand some of the truly negative postings here. He just says that some people are just unhappy. Just check out the threads of people who left here and came back! There is great diversity in this state from geography, town size and cultures, we have great small towns and not-so-great towns. Four cities of some size, all very different from one another, so there is something for everyone as long as one likes weather on the warm side much of the year.

I know some people came here ill-prepared, or came and things went bad for them or whatever, or just don't like warm weather - but anyone who comes here with their reseach done and has JOBS lined up (like you do) has a great chance of being as happy as we are as well as many others who have done their research when they came here.

One last thing - some of those who are unhappy here take great delight in posting "stats" or sensational crime headlines. I could go to any state and find the same type headlines to make it look bad - it's called "hype." I agree with you, the OP, that while Florida is not perfect and it does have some problems, it is no worse than anywhere else, and hubby and I find it better than most places - at least for us. Just remember there are fewer of us "happy" folks posting on this forum - every time I think about leaving this site for good, I get yet another private message from someone thanking me profusely for my help, and then I feel compelled to stay. I actually get quite a few messages from those who don't want to post here, and are thankful for some balanced info about living here.

Good luck to you, goingtoFL and welcome to Florida!

Thank you for the post, some people seem to think that others are not smart enough to realize that postings stats are great but certain stats are skewed to make it appear worse then it is. Comparing a city with 250k people to a small town in NY with 25k people is silly.

I know there is good and bad, we got just as much of both right here in Ohio.

As far as the whiners go, I see it, if I was that unhappy in a place that causes all these issues then I sure the heck would not be staying there. I would already be gone.

I have spoken at length with the 3 members of our family who moved to Florida about this, all 3 tell us several things.

Do not believe everything people tell you. Find out for yourself.

They all 3 did a ton of research to fit the needs of their family and just so happened all 3 of them picked completely different areas.

All 3 live in smaller rural areas close to bigger cities.

All 3 have young kids and picked great schools.

All 3 are extremely happy in Florida and none of them want to even come back home for visits or Christmas.

The one outside of Tampa tells me that her husband was never a fan of hot humid temps and whined all the way down to Florida about it will be to hot, now he wont leave the place and actually is now scuba diving and fishing on charter boats.

Sure everyone has a right to an opinion and sees things differently, but if I was going to blame Ohio for me being cold I sure would not spend all my time in the Ohio forum telling everyone to stay away, I would be spending time finding ways to leave and posting in a state where I am moving to.

Gypsychic, I have read many of your post here and you seem to be very happy in Florida, if I remember correctly from your posting you moved from one area to another which is what we will do if we do not pick the perfect town. We probably wont buy until we know we have found the right town.

My entire family is excited about moving some day, heck my hubby even bought a Florida Gators hat!!

We are working on the job transfers, finances, doctors etc.

We are not going to be in any hurry at all as we slowly want to research and spend some time in some of the towns. But in the same we all know what we have to look forward to in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Most of us negative (truthful) posters didn't just move here like some kind of hobo , we had things planned , researched , and lined up well in advance long before we came here. It's not our fault that jobs get cut and the economy tanked.

Hopefully that doesn't happen to certain posters who love to relish in the misfortune of others. I would be very cautious of judging others in this unstable economy, maybe YOUR jobs will be cut next.

People bash my home area of Lancaster County, PA all the time. That's their right to do so even though I don't agree with them. The difference is that they can not provide links or stats backing up their facts and opinions.

Once again this is a Florida forum so of course people are going to post Florida crimes and stats. 2 years ago (had I joined the site instead of just reading the posts) I would have been posting different stats because the economy then was in much better shape.....

No one tries to make Florida look bad, the weird stories and crimes that occur here speak for themselves.

I'm stuck here for at least the next couple of months but I will always post in the Florida forum warning others about this "paradise". It seems some of the positive posters disappear from the forum after moving here ..........[that's right they are out enjoying the state, lol]............or to put it bluntly.... they are too ashamed to admit they were wrong.
Let me just say this: the "truths" you post are your truths and not necessarily agreed or shared by others. There may be crime stats on Florida, but you can find similar ones in any major city across the US. Your own research tells you the best place for you and your family to live. I understand that people's circumstances change and that the economy is not good ANYWHERE, but once again, you cannot blame the entire state for your misfortunes. The positive posters don't stay on this site day after day not because they don't want to admit they are wrong, we become frustrated because the negative posters want to continue day in and day out posting the same things and never want to agree that there are positives in their lives. There is no point to continue because you can't change someone's opinion. I will read much more than I post, but I feel bad for those who want to move to the state and get petrified by the overgeneralizations of those who don't like living here. It's sad when you have no love or pride for where you live. I do wish those of you who feel no ties to Florida have their dreams come true and are one day able to move to a place that you can call home.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default I am not looking for a home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Let me just say this: the "truths" you post are your truths and not necessarily agreed or shared by others. There may be crime stats on Florida, but you can find similar ones in any major city across the US. Your own research tells you the best place for you and your family to live. I understand that people's circumstances change and that the economy is not good ANYWHERE, but once again, you cannot blame the entire state for your misfortunes. The positive posters don't stay on this site day after day not because they don't want to admit they are wrong, we become frustrated because the negative posters want to continue day in and day out posting the same things and never want to agree that there are positives in their lives. There is no point to continue because you can't change someone's opinion. I will read much more than I post, but I feel bad for those who want to move to the state and get petrified by the overgeneralizations of those who don't like living here. It's sad when you have no love or pride for where you live. I do wish those of you who feel no ties to Florida have their dreams come true and are one day able to move to a place that you can call home.
I want the same one I had for over half a century.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,177 times
I do feel for you Tanaples, your circumstances are out of your hands for now. But time passes quickly. One day you'll be back home.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,630 times
Default I'm I-95 bound, soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Let me just say this: the "truths" you post are your truths and not necessarily agreed or shared by others.
The truth shall set you free. Why am I always singled out? I'm backing up my statements with helpful facts and stats. Florida is neither the best nor the worst state but it does have its share of problems. I love the state but hate living here.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
The stats don't lie and there's no fluff . . .
This isn't intended as a comprehensive list, but:

* The people citing statistics can lie about them or present them in a way to intentionally mislead.
* The people reporting statistics can lie about them or present them in a way to intentionally mislead.
* The way that statistics are presented from different sources can presenting a misleading comparative picture even though the different sources are making a good faith effort to make them accurate.
* Statistics can be presented with little analysis about what they represent and what they imply for people wondering how they and their family might fit into the picture.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Most of us negative (truthful) posters
Hold on a second. "Negative" versus "positive" isnt' about facts. It's not a fact that Florida is a good or bad place. So it's not more truthful to be negative or positive about Florida. That's about opinions rather than facts.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,630 times
Default Don't drink the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
This isn't intended as a comprehensive list, but:

* The people citing statistics can lie about them or present them in a way to intentionally mislead.
* The people reporting statistics can lie about them or present them in a way to intentionally mislead.
* The way that statistics are presented from different sources can presenting a misleading comparative picture even though the different sources are making a good faith effort to make them accurate.
* Statistics can be presented with little analysis about what they represent and what they imply for people wondering how they and their family might fit into the picture.
Are you kidding me?.......So we are involved in some kind of anti-Florida conspiracy? So I am posting links and stats in a misleading way in order to make Florida look bad? Are the newspapers and CQ Press also involved in this great conspiracy? I doubt non-biased sources really care how Florida is ranked. I really don't care either, the stats speak for themselves. You can't discredit the stats and facts so you try to discredit the posters.

Your Florida cheerleaders might drink the swamp water Kool-Aid but most normal people probably don't care for the taste of gator feces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Hold on a second. "Negative" versus "positive" isnt' about facts. It's not a fact that Florida is a good or bad place. So it's not more truthful to be negative or positive about Florida. That's about opinions rather than facts.
Oh no, not this again..........lol. Go pick a fight with someone else because I don't feel like getting banned off this site.

People can be truthful being positive or negative. That is pretty obvious, no? Did I say only the negatives are truthful? NO !!!!!!!!

Those stats must really scare you guys for you's to constantly try to discredit them. I don't care if Florida is ranked best or worst, who really does? I plan on leaving here the first chance I get and I'll never look back.
You can have your fairy-tale Gunshine state all to yourselves!!!!! I can make more money up North being a janitor than someone with a college degree can here being paid with Sunshine dollars. Florida can cram those sunshine $$$ into the eye of a hurricane for all I care.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
is your dog large enough to fight off a 20 ft snake.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding me?.......So we are involved in some kind of anti-Florida conspiracy? So I am posting links and stats in a misleading way in order to make Florida look bad? Are the newspapers and CQ Press also involved in this great conspiracy?
You should note that I said nothing about what most folks are doing, what you are doing, etc. I merely noted possibilities other than "statistics do not lie". The way to argue against those four points would be to talk about how it's rather impossible that someone could be dishonest while citing statistics, how it's impossible for the initial sources to present/report statistics in a misleading way, how it's impossible to report statistics in a good faith way so that they'd end up being incommensurate with statistics from other sources reported in a good faith way, and how it's impossible to underanalyze what statistics are telling us.
Quote:
I doubt non-biased sources really care how Florida is ranked.
I do not believe that there are non-biased sources--including me, including you, and including every other person alive. I do not believe that it's possible to be non-biased.
Quote:
You can't discredit the stats and facts so you try to discredit the posters.
The point was that yes, you can discredit statistics, on a variety of grounds. Again, you'd have to argue for why the possibilities I claimed are not in fact possibilities.
Quote:
Your Florida cheerleaders
Could you cite a few of my cheers?
Quote:
People can be truthful being positive or negative. That is pretty obvious, no?
No, it's rather obvious to me that positive/negative, good/bad, best/worst, etc. are NOT objective facts. They're inherently subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida