Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
As most of you know, my "2nd for now" home is in the Leesburg area. When we are down there again in May, my 19 yr old son and GF will be flying down for a few days. They want to spend a day visiting a nice beach on the gulf side without taking half a day to drive there.

I've only traveled that way a few times when I went to Homosassas Springs. That was a nice state park, etc, but when we were done there, I told my wife, "Let's just drive east a bit more, the coast should be close....let's go beach hunting."

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I never found the beach. EVERY road I took just ended up being a residential dead end. After awhile I said forget this, and went back home.

So......going somewhat directly east from Leesburg, is there anything nice, beachy, touristy, shopping, etc, nice places to window shop, eat, and enjoy a nice beach without driving hours north or south once we get closer to the gulf side? These are college kids.....we just want to spend a niceday at a nice beach, maybe make a nice memory.

Where would YOU go....????

Thanks, Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
So......going somewhat directly east from Leesburg, is there anything nice, beachy, touristy, shopping, etc, nice places to window shop, eat, and enjoy a nice beach without driving hours north or south once we get closer to the gulf side? These are college kids.....we just want to spend a niceday at a nice beach, maybe make a nice memory.

Where would YOU go....????

Thanks, Frank D.
OK... let's get you turned around. The Gulf is west of Leesburg. With that said, I'd head east to the Atlantic for the day you've described. The gulf beaches in that area aren't any of the things you're looking for. Daytona is NE of you and would make a nice day IMHO. College kids will love it! Get a picture of them in front of the Daytona International Speedway sign!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:05 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Thanks! I can't believe I typed East...... I did mean west. Thanks for the info on Daytona...I will ask the kids.
I think my son suggested the gulf side, just because he has never seen the gulf, but has enjoyed the ocean before.

I know i've read of some nice gulf areas, but I thinbk they were either too south, (like sanibel island) or too north, like the Panama city area.

Perhaps what I should have posted is "What would be a nice day trip from the Leesburg area....."

Frank D.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Default Fort De Soto

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I know i've read of some nice gulf areas, but I think they were either too south, (like sanibel island) or too north, like the Panama city area.

Perhaps what I should have posted is "What would be a nice day trip from the Leesburg area....."

Frank D.
I would highly recommend Fort De Soto Park. It is going to be at least 2 hours (mostly interstate) from Leesburg but it will be well worth it IMHO. The place is beautiful and there is so much to do there. The North beach on the Gulf is where you want to go to enjoy the beach. Very clear water and bright white sand, it doesn't get any better than that.

I'm sure you can find a decent beach a little closer to you but I doubt it will be anywhere near as nice.
I think it would be a perfect day trip. I know you said you wanted touristy, shopping, etc but I think you guys would love Fort De Soto Park.

Clearwater Beach would be a better choice if you want a more happening beach scene.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 01-03-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida