U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM

943 posts, read 70,866 times
Default Liberal Areas Of Florida

HI: I am researching where to retire, Im still in my 50's but I have to get moving with this. Im gay, and I know all the areas where we are suppose to want to live in Fla. south fla, sarasota, key west, west palm, st pete. Well I don't want that mess, is everywhere above orlando northward, so conservative, I have to cross it off the list. I actually like smaller towns, but I feel like I will be unwelcomed or snubbed, belive me it can happen and has in life. From what I read on all these posts on this website, alot of people are struggling on where to live, or what has happened to where they currently live, especially these Fla and Calif posts, so where I guess I am suppose to want to live in fla would no longer interest me, plus I could not afford those locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 PM

14,656 posts, read 15,709,138 times
Hi there,

Here's a map of the elections results in 2004:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pag.../00/index.html

Basically, Southeast Florida is more liberal.... Palm Beach, Broward (and to a lesser extent St. Lucie and Miami-Dade Counties).... BUT, Tallahassee and Gadsden counties here in North Florida are also liberal oasis in seas of "redness"! Alachua County (Gainesville) is also a liberal oasis. Tallahassee has a small town feel even though it's the state capitol... and it's more reasonably priced than South Florida.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM

220 posts, read 751,284 times
Tallahassee is a nice town. Don't overlook it, I've lived there several times and liked it a lot. It's pretty for Christmas and almost has seasons.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:59 PM

9,342 posts, read 15,993,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Tallahassee is a nice town. Don't overlook it, I've lived there several times and liked it a lot. It's pretty for Christmas and almost has seasons.
I would agree, Edvard. Tallahassee. Or maybe Gainesville? Haven't been there in ages, but am just guessing.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM

I retired from a large State Agcy and when I was assigned in other parts of the state I still spent a lot of time in Tallahassee and liked it a lot. Small town feel, really nice older houses all aroung and big shady trees, fishing was good in the lakes, and there are only really a few main roads and you can get around quite easily. Also, all kinds of great places to have lunch. The prices still aren't bad for land either, but an older home has all the charm.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM

943 posts, read 70,866 times
thanks, for the replies, I guess I will do some research on Tallahassee, but how is it in the liberal dept, and as I mentioned Im a gay guy, and as much as i don't advertise it, im not ashamed of it either, How would Tallahassee rate in that dept.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 PM

The best way to put it is "cautiously tolerant"
It is a college town, but like others have said, north of I-4 it's a bit slower to change with the times.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:48 AM

13,313 posts, read 29,339,598 times
I bet you'd like Tallahassee. Find the Tallahassee Democrat online (it's the newspaper) and it will give you a feel for politics, local and national.
"Cautiously tolerant" is a good description for the attitude towards gays in my little beach town two hours west of Tally. They definitely get along fine here, I know gays of both genders, but as you say, they certainly don't hide their sexual orientation but they're not exactly flamboyant, either.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:14 AM

9,342 posts, read 15,993,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
thanks, for the replies, I guess I will do some research on Tallahassee, but how is it in the liberal dept, and as I mentioned Im a gay guy, and as much as i don't advertise it, im not ashamed of it either, How would Tallahassee rate in that dept.
My son has a Big Brother (Big Brothers / Big Sisters) in Tallahassee who is gay and has lived with his partner for years. We have moved away, but still see them several times a year and they are very happy there. He travels a great deal for his job and his partner has a great IT job- they could live anywhere they want- it would be easier to fly out from a bigger city, but they are staying in Tally. It's a very nurturing community. I think you would like it.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:19 AM

6,876 posts, read 11,645,061 times
You might also like Gainesville, FL. It has a higher percentage of college aged people, but there are plenty of faculty and others in the mix. Nice cultural offerings here, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida