Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 27,941 times

Advertisements

I am looking to retire to Florida in about 4 years. A lot of posts talk about buying now because the prices are so low.

Even if I could afford to buy a home right now, I'm concerned about the risks. (And no, I'm not talking about prices falling further...I doubt they will fall a lot further. Also, they will eventually start to rise and a FL home's value today will probably be a bit higher 5 years from now.)

Say I find a nice single-family home for $90,000. Well, I won't be living in it for 4 years, so except for my brief vacations, it would be vacant. Wouldn't it run the risk of being vandalized like so many foreclosures? I see listings of homes where people have gone in and stolen appliances, etc. because the homes are not monitored.

Does any one know of a service where you can have someone keep an eye on your home and what that would cost?

Also, I would think with so many vacant properties on the market, finding consistent renters (so I can make the mortgage payments) would be nearly impossible.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
I would not recommend buying now for latter. While you may find a great deal today, I don't think you will enjoy being a long distance landlord. If the house was in a great rental area the likelihood of picking it up for $90k is very remote.
I don't think that prices will rise dramatically in the near term, as long as the bank foreclosures are driving the market, prices will stay low. The combination of price/interest rates are hard to beat, but as a landlord your interest rate will be higher than as a resident owner. You will also have higher insurance rates.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Good points Bob. Thanks for responding.

I don't think other folks have been thinking about issues such as landlord insurance rates, potential for vandalism, etc.

They just see -- look at the deal on that house!!!

Agree about the $90k being unlikely for a great rental area. The ones in that price range I am talking about are in bedroom communities where people want to possibly retire - such as 1/2 hour from beach - but not rent while on vacation.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:13 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
They have house watchers who will keep an eye on the place, run the water, flush the toilets etc.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
House watching is a service my company provides to folks like yourself. I had a lot of calls from owners who just need someone they can trust to be their eyes and ears when they're gone. As was said, we'll do a security walk-thru as often as the owner feels necessary.

Hopefully, you'll find what you need.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 AM

What is the monthly range for a house watching service? Would just like some sort of idea. Thanks

Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 AM

97 posts, read 278,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanna20 View Post
Good points Bob. Thanks for responding.

I don't think other folks have been thinking about issues such as landlord insurance rates, potential for vandalism, etc.

They just see -- look at the deal on that house!!!

Agree about the $90k being unlikely for a great rental area. The ones in that price range I am talking about are in bedroom communities where people want to possibly retire - such as 1/2 hour from beach - but not rent while on vacation.
Carolanna, mind giving me the location you are thinking about where you can buy a home for $90K 1/2 hour from the beach?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanna20 View Post
What is the monthly range for a house watching service? Would just like some sort of idea. Thanks
We charge $25.00 per visit with a minimum of 2 visits per month. That gets all things checked out and a report of any problems. Plant care, lawn care or any maintenance is extra.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:16 AM

You asked about where to find a 90k home 1/2 hour from the beach. One of the communities is Riverview. It is half-hour from Tampa and has plenty.

You can go to realtor.com (i think you have to register an email address) - choose Tampa Fl a price range, etc. Then, when the listings come up, you can choose the number of miles from Tampa, age of home, single family, etc. You'll be amazed.

There were some in Brandon too - which is supposed to be nice. I found hundreds in an area called Lehigh Acres but posts tell you to totally avoid it. So many foreclosures that it is rampant with crime.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida