U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Fort Myers? I like Fort Myers. Ever been to Chiefland?
i have one home outside Chiefland - Cows and Weeds one in New Port Richey - Sleeze and Traffic ! Sure makes Florida sound Great huh? Personally I Love Chicago !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:22 AM

88 posts, read 243,745 times
Orlando has got to be the worst. At least Miami has the beaches and some cultural life, good architecture, better pay? This place is so backward.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 AM

88 posts, read 243,745 times
By the way about Orlando you can't find a decent job. You can find a job for $10.00 an hour but to find one where you don't have to sit in traffic an hour one way every day, with decent pay and benefits, using your intelligence, is unheard of. They have so many people looking at the same job-200 resumes, they have no respect for employees. Up north it's a fair playing field with protection of your jobs, unlike the right-to-work laws here. They can fire you for no reason? So there's no loyalty on anyone's part...way to run a business Florida. It's the standards of this place that gets me. moonbeam

Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 AM

45 posts, read 284,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I am still here because I own a place that now cannot even be sold for what I owe on it; therefore, there is no option of just selling it and "taking a loss on it" ( I SO WISH I could!) because I do not have the $20K+ that it will take to pay off the mortgage lender. Also, I cannot rent it out for what it runs me every month but would be willing to rent it out for whatever reasonable rent that I could get. The market is bad here right now. Really bad. However, that being said, I am seriously contemplating taking a big financial leap - getting a job and a place to live elsewhere - and hoping to be able to keep both places going . . . just to get out of Ft. Misery. Glad you got out and hope you're enjoying Nashville.
My vote would be Ft. Myers, its pretty much a dump IMO. I'm also in the same boat as you, we own a home in Venice, FL, can't sell it but finally got it rented so we can get back to Key West where the work for us is abundant. rent is covering only half the mortgage and we make make up the rest. My other vote for the worst would be the Venice area, but I'm pretty much scarred from losing my Mother to the Red Tide.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfromredtide View Post
My vote would be Ft. Myers, its pretty much a dump IMO. I'm also in the same boat as you, we own a home in Venice, FL, can't sell it but finally got it rented so we can get back to Key West where the work for us is abundant. rent is covering only half the mortgage and we make make up the rest. My other vote for the worst would be the Venice area, but I'm pretty much scarred from losing my Mother to the Red Tide.
I'm so sorry about you losing your mom to red tide - that is really nasty stuff! Anyone coming to the coastal areas should be aware of how bad it really is. When I lived in Sarasota, I would be really, really sick from it 2 or 3 times a year, and you can't escape it! There is also a lot of invasive tropical vegetation in south coastal Florida such as melaleuca ("punk") trees and Brazilian pepper which cause great allergic suffering. A lot of folks moving down here will not realize how bad this is until they experience it.

I am glad I live farther north and inland, now. I am nowhere near as sick as I used to be all the time in Sarasota. Bad place for allergic individuals.

All that said, what makes one place "bad" for one person, won't be "bad" for another and vice versa, so for me I think one of the worst places to live would be Miami, followed by Orlando - too much traffic, crime and too big in general - I like small towns.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 PM
nps

10 posts, read 31,739 times
Miami-Dade is the worst place to live in Florida. Nobody speaks English! Come to think English is my second language!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 PM

28 posts, read 136,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I expect the answer to be Miami.

But love to hear all of your perspectives.
I wouldn't live in Belle Glade

Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times
Miami Dade is NOT the worst place. There are other far worse places and yet each place has its own good too, no matter how bad it may seem to the next person. Trust me, although I do speak from personal experience only.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,347,973 times
MIAMI is the worst followed by Lake Worth, Riviera Beach, full of gangs and
the "rapsta" genre...don't know much about the northern part of Flordia. the
other "writer" is right...If you don't speak Spanish, you would have a hard time
in Miami...they look at you if don't speak Spanish...

Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times
Do you speak Spanish so I can look at you?
Do you speak English so I can look at you?
Do you speak ANYTHING so I can look at you?

People are going to look for whatever reason no matter what. They could look at you because you have body piercing, tatoos, chains, gold teeth, nice eyes, nice hair, whatever. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or