Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 27,067 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...I need help choosing a safer location to live in Florida. Right now, I live just between Daytona and Orlando. The crime and drugs around here are getting worse all the time. My husband and I have 2 young children (One is 15 months & the other is 3 weeks old!) I would love to get out of Florida but all of our family lives here so I don't want to move too far away--maybe a few hours. But I'm looking for a city with low crime rates, nice schools, not too "small town" but not a big city either...As far as jobs go, I work from home and my husband is a mechanic so he can find work pretty much anywhere.
I don't even know if this kind of place exists but if you can give me any info i would really appreciate it! I just want a nice place to raise our children!

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,813,454 times
In central FL there is Lake Mary, Oviedo, some of Melbourne/Viera, north Tampa suburbs, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, etc. In north FL there is St. Johns County, in South FL (yes, really, South FL), there is Jupiter, Weston, Boca Raton, Wellington, Cooper City, etc. Also, the crime and drugs tend to get rapidly worse in any town after you have children. It's just something that happens...

Old 05-24-2009, 07:41 AM

509 posts, read 1,674,749 times
Have you looked at Ocala? Its not far from where you are now. Gainesville is a pretty good option. Deland is nice and not far from Daytona.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 AM

479 posts, read 1,451,901 times
Have you looked into the Clermont area? Just don't go as far south as Four Corners on Hwy. 27. And you can find some good deals on housing now too...even more rentals are available. Schools in the district are rated A, Lake County Schools (http://www.lake.k12.fl.us/lakeschools/site/default.asp - broken link) plus there are several private schools in the area.

We're still small, but the largest town in Lake County. However, what you won't find here is within an easy drive -- so many people here still work in the Orlando area.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:55 PM

819 posts, read 1,738,558 times
Default good luck

east orlando between oviedo and bithlo. its still a little country but close to town and the beachs.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,694,106 times
Default Sarasota County/North Port

I'm going to steer up about 3 hours south of Orlando to Sarasota County. Any city in Sarasota County would be a good place to raise a family. For a young family, I would recommend the City of North Port. North Port is a younger city, with a younger crowd. North Port is the only Sarasota County city that's crime rate actually lowered for 2008. I would say that North Port is extremely safe, and has a lot of friendly people. North Port isn't too "small town", but it's not another Orlando either. It's medium size. I think this would be a perfect city for you and your family.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida