Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 35,323 times

Advertisements

Any info on ups and downs of Dunedin-FL life for relocation? What's the good, bad, and the ugly? Compared to Fort Lauderdale? Jacksonville? Charleston?

I'll be renting a shack or? as i am a non-registered pauper. Musician type dude. Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 AM

8 posts, read 28,654 times
Dunedin is a great little town, but that depends a lot on what you want out of a town.

The good: One of the oldest established communities on the west coast of Florida. Relatively cheap rental property. Very quiet, relaxed community. A great feeling of small town living in an area that's generally metropolitan. People are easy to meet and many have lived here their entire lives. VERY quaint and active downtown association with interesting shopping and restaraunts. A full calendar with lots of local events for all ages. Has a very distinctive culture and heritage (Scottish) and LOTS of history. Located on one of the highest points along the western coast so flooding from hurricanes and such are quite unlikely in most areas. VERY accessible to Clearwater Beach without having to live in the squalor of Clearwater.

The bad: Generally low crime, but there are some areas that you don't want to live in. Small town politics can be a little irritating sometimes. Not a whole lot of "party" bars or nightlife. Sizeable retired population that move at their own pace and aren't particularly aware of how bad their driving is. It can be a bit of a drive to get someplace like larger malls, movie theaters, or major work areas.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:56 PM

65 posts, read 220,412 times
Home of Blue Jays spring training! lots of canucks winter over here .

Old 09-03-2006, 12:47 PM

800 posts, read 3,087,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehuckwow View Post
Any info on ups and downs of Dunedin-FL life for relocation? What's the good, bad, and the ugly? Compared to Fort Lauderdale? Jacksonville? Charleston?

I'll be renting a shack or? as i am a non-registered pauper. Musician type dude. Any info appreciated.

We have good friends there. They love it. It's quaint, good eateries, they don't have a difficult commute to work and they found an affordable house. They love the quiet but they are in their mid-fifties.

Ft. Lauderdale is expensive and congested but if you are good with directions, you can get around the traffic. I lived near there for several years. Jacksonville is rapidly growing. As is Charleston.

Go visit each location to see what they have to offer you! Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:36 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,308 times
I like Dunedin. Quaint is a good word to describe it, I think. They really spruced up the downtown a few years ago and have little festivals... antiques... art etc... each year. I've had a sister live there. She liked it. I also have a brother who chooses to reside there... He travels the world, could probably afford ANYWHERE, and yet- he chooses Dunedin for his home. (I don't totally understand that, but - to each his own.) Anyway, the Pinellas Trail runs right through there and is a nice feature. Also, down by Alternate 19 is the water... so beautiful. Even though you aren't in a big "nightlife" type place (don't know if you're looking for that), you have Tarpon Springs so close... The sponge docks... So charming. And Clearwater is the other way... I disagree that Clearwater is "squaler"... like anywhere else, it has it's good and bad. Do investigate. Dunedin is rather small... but ares are different... some good, some not so. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM

17 posts, read 54,948 times
Unhappy lived in dunedin for 15 years

I have lived here in Dunedin for the past 15 years and yes at one time it was quaint and small. Not anymore. The high school has over 2200 students in it and the middle school is one of the worst middle schools in Pinellas county for violence. when I moved here the high school had half that population. The gangs have moved into the middle school at an alarming rate. The downtown is wonderful but they just tore down two more mom&pop hotels to put up high rises. The Schiller University is being "renoved" for a condo/high rise/hotel. It was a beautiful quaint college and now they are demanding to widen Alternate 19 (the one beautifual and curving small road that follows the gulf through Dunedin). They are changing this landmark in the name of progress. Our water rates are higher than anyon in the county and the traffic is horrible. Our main stree just got widened (rt 580) to a 6 lane highway. Small town - not anymore. I'm moving out of FL as I miss the small town.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,308 times
Really? Gosh, I've only been gone a year. I didn't know they were widening Alternate 19...It really was such a beautiful drive. I admit wholeheartedly, I know pretty much nothing about the schools. I suppose my knowledge on the area is outdated. Sorry, geehuckwow...

Old 10-05-2006, 03:23 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehuckwow View Post

Visit the city web site: http://www.dunedingov.com/ Good Luck...

Old 09-24-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,356 times
Hi, I just wanted to say, having recently graduated from Dunedin Middle myself and now being in Dunedin High. -yeah I know most of you won't listen to what I'm saying since I'm a 'crazy teenager' but I thought it'd be nice to hear the point of view from someone else- I'm very disappointed in the earlier comment about there being gangs in school -particularly middle school- because I never saw any gang members or anything related to a gang at all!! Of course, there are the usual troublemakers but you can find them in EVERY school. I didn't appreciate that particular opinion because that person probably went to the old school. The Dunedin Middle and Elementary schools are new so I think that makes a good impression on people...Oh! and I'd like to see where this so called 'traffic' is...The longest I've ever been in 'traffic' is when there is a car accident. I don't want to start an argument, I believe my opinion is just as good as anyone else, but having lived in Dunedin my whole life I would think that it still is a quaint town. They're painting the building nice colors but still preserving the Scottish feel [I was in Band for 3 years so I've heard enough of the bagpipes to last me a lifetime]. Dunedin is a nice town where you can have your own privacy and go to the Downtown to eat at a little cafe or go to The Farmers Market [ I forget what it's called, not going down there now for a while] on the weekend. If you're a party person I'd guess you could spare about 30 minutes to go to Tampa but the Beach is just as nice, having been going there and to Sand Key since I was 3. Anyway, overall it's a nice, quiet town and -having been previously said- most of the people have lived here all their lives and have had children who have grown up and had their families in Dunedin...and their very involved in the community.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 PM

9 posts, read 35,323 times
Thanks, Les_Pinacolada! I will be visiting the area and moving somewhere around Dunedin, north or south. I play solo guitar on occasion in restaurants or ? and want to build that up, but still will need a real job (yuck), and hope to live not too from there, ride a bike to work. I prefer more of the visual beauty nature has to offer, more that, than the boozy life. I like to sit by the water, just play and chat with people that come to listen. Great fun and cheap! I'll have to check out the Sand Key, too! I'll go to Tampa if I get a gig there, hopefully I'll find something more local to Dunedin. Anywhoo, thanks again.
(If you see a guy playing guitar with a blue glass slide on his finger, that's me, .. say hello.)
Gary Huckleberry ... soon to be gone from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida