U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,227,277 times

Advertisements

With all the issues and concers that the state citizens have, what do you think is the future of Florida?

My view is that many changes will take place to bring the cost of housing down as the first priority. This will be a combination of eliminating the property tax, monetary relief from the state for HOI, and government will generate more involvement in future development of the state.

Florida will bring more industries to increase the diversity of jobs in central and south Florida.

What are your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,746,388 times
If the property tax situation can be solved, I will be happy. But the real solution will be in rebuilding the state to be more in harmony with nature. restore the Everglades, rebuild all the hurricane-prone structures, and stop uncontrolled immigration. Florida then must concentrate on building real industries to create real jobs, and stop being the service only economy it has become. People in Florida need to stop being selfish speculators and use more of their time to improve the state. Reducing real estate expenses will go a long way to improving the lives of Floridians.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 PM

159 posts, read 596,937 times
I SEE what is happening. Wealthy foriegners and Yankees are pouring in and paying cash for homes and businesses. The oldest retirees are moving onto the high rise condos in droves now that their houses have appreciated so much. Even though values have gone down they are still getting enough to step into those $400k condos.

I honestly think I must be the only real Floridian in Palm Coast. We have tons of Russians, Portugese, Italians, Finnish, heaven knows what else and the rest are Yanks. I have yet to even meet a southerner.

That is what I see happening - not just here but in other parts of Florida too. Florida has never had any industry except mainly tourism. Citrus groves are being bulldozed daily for more houses. I can't see that ever changing. I wish it would but the developers are in bed with the government and it won't stop until there is nothing left to develop at this rate. They are building it and the world is coming.

A very sad situation. Me? I'm going to try to find a place to step back in time and try to hide from the developers while I can.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Florida industries:

Economy Strengths:

* International Trade (40% of all U.S. exports to Latin and South America pass through Florida)
* Tourism - with 76.8 million visitors in 2004 (a record number), Florida is the top travel destination in the world. The tourism industry has an economic impact of $57 billion on Florida’s economy. Click here for additional tourism facts and statistics.
* Space Industry - The space industry represents $4.5 billion of the state's economy. The average annual wage of aerospace workers is approximately $52,000. The number employed at Kennedy Space Center (KSC) alone is 15,000 and Florida ranks 4th among the states in overall aerospace employment with 23,000 jobs.
* Agriculture – Florida leads the southeast in farm income.
Florida produces about 75% of the U.S. oranges and accounts for about 40% of the world's orange juce supply.
* Construction - This industry's strength results from the steady stream of new residents and visitors who are welcomed to Florida each year.
* Services - growth in high tech, financial & back office operations
* Software - many small, entrepreneurial companies
* Health Technology (medical, biotech, laboratories)
* University Research - more than $500 million per year in sponsored research at Florida universities

http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal....aspx?tabid=95

Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 PM

159 posts, read 596,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Florida industries:

Economy Strengths:

* International Trade (40% of all U.S. exports to Latin and South America pass through Florida)
* Tourism - with 76.8 million visitors in 2004 (a record number), Florida is the top travel destination in the world. The tourism industry has an economic impact of $57 billion on Florida’s economy. Click here for additional tourism facts and statistics.
* Space Industry - The space industry represents $4.5 billion of the state's economy. The average annual wage of aerospace workers is approximately $52,000. The number employed at Kennedy Space Center (KSC) alone is 15,000 and Florida ranks 4th among the states in overall aerospace employment with 23,000 jobs.
* Agriculture – Florida leads the southeast in farm income.
Florida produces about 75% of the U.S. oranges and accounts for about 40% of the world's orange juce supply.
* Construction - This industry's strength results from the steady stream of new residents and visitors who are welcomed to Florida each year.
* Services - growth in high tech, financial & back office operations
* Software - many small, entrepreneurial companies
* Health Technology (medical, biotech, laboratories)
* University Research - more than $500 million per year in sponsored research at Florida universities

http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal....aspx?tabid=95
Thanks for all that. Still, Tourism is honking loudest up there with $57 Billion. Notice a lot of those industries employ imported workers...can you say dollars to pesos?

Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 PM

8 posts, read 22,838 times
There Is No Problem By A Yogo And Dump The Suv!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,666,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark99 View Post
I honestly think I must be the only real Floridian in Palm Coast. We have tons of Russians, Portugese, Italians, Finnish, heaven knows what else and the rest are Yanks. I have yet to even meet a southerner.
A very sad situation. Me? I'm going to try to find a place to step back in time and try to hide from the developers while I can.
I think you're right, you ARE the only native in "Compost!" We stay out of there! Thought we'd be safe when we bought in Bunnell, but they're trying to invade here, too! Creeping right down US 1 & 100, like some science fiction movie!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark99 View Post
Thanks for all that. Still, Tourism is honking loudest up there with $57 Billion. Notice a lot of those industries employ imported workers...can you say dollars to pesos?
I will say dollars: New figures that include trade totals through November 2006 have put Florida's total import-export volume at $100.67 billion. According to projections, the state will finish 2006 with $110 billion in trade, up from $95 billion in 2005.

I will do some research on the type of workers that the hospitality industry is using. Is well known that many work visas are issued and can be supporting this industry.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 PM

The following is a report from Research Institute on Social and Economic Policy (RISEP) CLR&S Florida International University in 2005:

Florida and Low-wage Work
• Florida has an unusually high percentage of low-wage jobs, due to its tourist-related economy.
• Florida also has a higher poverty rate than average for the U.S.
• “Working poverty” means living in poverty despite full-time year-round work.
• While poverty and low wages are not synonymous (many in poverty do not work), there is of course a strong connection between the two.
• This report briefly looks at poverty in the state, and then examines low-wage jobs and the ability of those who hold them to be “self-sufficient,” meaning ability to support oneself or one’s family. This is the most meaningful definition of poverty.

Very Low-wage Workers: Florida and the Minimum Wage
• Very low-wage workers, those earning $7.15 an hour or less, number approximately 695,566 workers, or 9.49% of Florida’s workforce.
• Very-low wage workers constitute the bottom 9.5% of the Florida wage market
• More women than men are very low-wage workers in the state of Florida
• A significantly higher percent of working minorities in Florida are making a very low wage in comparison to white non-Hispanic workers
• Immigrants are more likely to be paid very low wages than are the native-born.
• Nine out of ten very low-wage workers are employed by private sector employers
• Retail is overwhelmingly the sector with the lowest wages. Florida’s retail trade sector provided 48.1% of Florida’s jobs paying $6.15 per hour or less
• Teenagers do not predominate among very low-wage workers. 76.6% of those earning $6.15 per our or less were aged 20 or over, and 81.9% of those earning between $6.15 and $7.15 per hour were 20 or over.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,002,679 times
IMHO~I think that the future of Florida will have a lot to do with the weather. IF the predictions of 15-20 years of terrible storms comes true, there will definitely be a decline in population and it will not longer be one of the top choices for the baby boomers to relocate to.

But since none of us truly knows the future of the weather, I like the ideas that were already presented here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or